ip_tables wont load...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nathan_ekstrom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: ip_tables wont load... Reply with quote

I have tried the stable kernel and the testing kernel. I've rebuilt each with several different configurations but no matter what I do whenever I "modprobe ip_tables" it gives me this "/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: unresolved symbol nf_unregister_sockopt
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: unresolved symbol nf_register_sockopt
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod ip_tables failed"
if anyone has any sugestions please let me know, thanks.
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your System.map is copied to /boot/ with the correct postfix (f.i. if the kernel is called vmlinuz-2.4.20, then System.map-2.4.20). Also, recompile the whole kernel and use it, not only the modules. Take also note that you probably want several other kernelconfiguration options applied; not only CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES, but also CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT if you want to use NAT, CONFIG_IP_NF_FILTER if you want to be able to filter the packets etc...
zaftro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

This previously happened to me aswell. To fix the problem I did a "make mrproper" before compiling the kernel, ofcouse I backed up the '.config' file first...

Code:
# cd /usr/src/linux
# cp .config /root/.config
# make mrproper
# cp /root/.config ./
# make dep
# make clean
# make bzImage

I hope that works for you. If not, have a look at these threads:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=1008
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3009

Goodluck,

zaftro
nathan_ekstrom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Thanks for your help Reply with quote

:D Thanks for the help guys. Also sorry for the repost :oops: of a question. I tried the quick search and looked through this forum quickly but I gueess I just missed them. But thanks again it works! :D
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know any up-to-date document about iptables in Gentoo? "network-security" document seems a bit outdated and doesn't really help. Searching in forums returns dozens different advises, some of them inconsistent with each other.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: