"allocation failed, use vmalloc=<size>"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warpster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: "allocation failed, use vmalloc=<size>" Reply with quote

Hi, I'm having a strange vmalloc-related kernel warning come up, I believe in connection with using the new ati-drivers.

I successfully upgraded ati-drivers to version 8.10.19, direct rendering works and all that. Now, everything seems to be working fine, and I even get never-before-seen performance in terms of glxgears, etc

...BUT!

whenever I start X (thereby loading the driver module), I get the following kernel message:

Quote:
[kernel] allocation failed: out of vmalloc space - use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.

Now, I actually tried to do this; I googled some and found somebody on some forum somewhere saying that when that happens, a common value to use is vmalloc=256 (the default being 128) as a kernel parameter. Well, my 2.6.11-r4 kernel, which was working so well before, really didn't like that parameter and refused to boot. So much for the kernel's own suggestion. However I remembered that, upon emerging ati-drivers, I had gotten the following tip:

Quote:
* If you are experiencing problems with memory allocation try to add
* this line to in your X11 configuration file:
* Option "KernelModuleParm" "agplock=0"
* That should solve the hangups you could have with Neverwinter Nights

I tried that also, but it didn't seem to change anything. The kernel warning is still there, etc. I'm thinking the above tip is completely unrelated to my problem.

So... what to do? Or is this something I should even bother doing anything about? Everything seems fine so far, I can view DVDs fine for instance... haven't tried playing a 3D game, but like I said everything else seems fine so far. Still, I don't like kernel warnings that go unaddressed, hence this post. Hopefully somebody wiser can advise me. Thanks a lot!

:: warpster ::

[click this link for my xorg.conf, in case it helps: http://www.corridorofmadness.com/gentoo/etc/X11/xorg.conf... I'll post emerge info output or whatever else upon request.]
llsardonicll
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hopefully somebody wiser can advise me.

Ah guess that rules me out. Sorry, I'm coming up blank.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: