40%  [ 227 ]
Looking forward to it.
32%
 32%  [ 180 ]
Total Votes : 555

wjholden
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Do you intend to use the GUI installer? Reply with quote

We all appreciate what is being done in the way of a GUI installer for Gentoo. This has been discussed on and off for a long time. Now that it's on the way the question should be raised: do you intend ot use it? Of course, not on your current machine, but in 2, 3, 4 years you're probably going to buy another computer and if you decide to put Gentoo on it, you're going to have this choice in the near future.

While I have no doubt that this will make installing Gentoo easier for newbies, I already have config files that I can download from one of the many ftp servers I have access to, plus I use the command line so much it's second nature these days. Plus, I've been through the Gentoo installation so many times that doing it over again would be a joy.

So yeah, I have no intention of using the GUI installer. Hopefully you don't see this as elitism, but that many/most Gentoo users are completely comfortable with the CLI and already know what they want in terms of USE flags and whatnot.

Thank you Andrew Gaffney anyways!!!

Edit: read the FAQ

Last edited by wjholden on Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
untiefe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will definitetly use the new GUI installer. The screenshots I've seen look really great, and when I can install a new gentoo in <20 Minutes with the GUI installer instead of >2 hours by hand (I haven't done it that often, and always have to look up some stuff...) I will definitetly prefer the GUI installer!

:: Cardigans - You're The Storm ::

glcu - gentoo linux cron update (full featured semi-automatic updates via cron)
Icehat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also my topic about this: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-316451.html
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

Location: Somewhere between reality and Middle-Earth and in Freiburg (Germany)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't use any GUI Installer, never, I don't see why I should. The screenshots look great but the compiling time will be not decrased by that, and compiling takes the whole installation time, not configuring.
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
lefou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely use the gui installer, because for a normal gentoo install you have do do (nearly) always the same steps. I installed gentoo on more than five machines and a gui installed would comes into handy. (You always forget at leasy one step wenn installing gentoo via commandline because you have to wait and change some configs while compiling but then you missed one action and have to reboot a second time from cd :( )
Icehat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pablo_supertux wrote:
I won't use any GUI Installer, never, I don't see why I should. The screenshots look great but the compiling time will be not decrased by that, and compiling takes the whole installation time, not configuring.

Maybe if you install one PC, and if you're a real geek, you'll use the commandline method.
But if you're a sysadmin, and get the task to install 100 pc's with Gentoo, a graphic installer will be very welcome...
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icehat wrote:
But if you're a sysadmin, and get the task to install 100 pc's with Gentoo, a graphic installer will be very welcome...

Let me guess... You've never heard of a "bash script"? :lol:

Also, I wouldn't want networked sysadmins all over the planet to get RSI by too much clickety-clicking, that the graphical installer would cause. :P

My vote goes to "Never".

MacGillicuddy's Corollary: At the most inopportune time.

Please search and read the FAQs before posting.
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't seen the screenshots before and I like them. They seem to give a bit of choice and it could be interesting.

I'd prefer an option like 'another' for various things like the kernel, so you could choose your own.

I see no reason not to use it. If it turns out anything like the screenshots (as in what it offers rather than the actual visual apperance) then it certainly offers everything the average user would use.

Not bad.

I voted for the possibly option as I have no need to impress my 14 year old friends in how l33t I am. Like most sensible people we want a working, custom system as quickly and painlesly as possible. This looks like it might deliver that.

But then, we will have to wait and see how it actually turns out.
syg00
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you think about it, the handbook just leads everyone by the nose.
An installer could do it just as well.
I have an innate hatred of installers - thanks to Redhat and it's ilk.

So long as the Gentoo installer has a "Dick-head" button to allow one to drop out and fix cock-ups, it might be useful.

More likely I'll use traditional methods.
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syg00 wrote:
When you think about it, the handbook just leads everyone by the nose.

That sums it up very well. I have been using Gentoo for some time but the only things I actually learned were from using it once installed.

There is no difference between an idiot monkey following a step by step guide (except the idiot monkey may feel 'special' because he copied a command down) and an idiot monkey clicking a button.

Neither way 'teaches' anything to the idiot monkey.

Learning comes from actual use of the system and tweaking/configuring as you go along, not copying a command from an excellent install document.
bladdo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will definatly use the gentoo installer beacuse I have already experienced the process of installing gentoo by hand about 3 time ( 2 failure, 1 success). So next time I install gentoo I'll kick back and relax as I dont have to read the thousands of pages of manual.
distro: gentoo | window manager: pekwm
Ben2040
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I don't see why people are so negative towards the installer.

As far as I can tell you can do pretty much everything you could do from the command line, without a whole lot of typing - if there is something that is skimmed over and you wish to customise then you can always Ctrl+Alt+F1-6 anyways. Plus on todays computers it really isn't going to be a CPU hit, not even on most older PCs - besides, whilst compiling, all the GUI does is sit their anyway.

I will definately use the GUI - even more so if there is the option for Stage 1 on 3 (see sig).

Ben
bakreule
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the lack of an installer for two reasons.

One, I'm a computer nerd that likes to play, and Gentoo certainly offers a chance to play. Second, the lack of a gui installer kept the fluff out. By that I mean the people who don't read directions, the people who just want answers and don't give back, the people who aren't willing to experiment for themselves, etc. Having the text installer meant that people had to work a little to get to the promised land. And these are the people who, noob or not, intelligent or not, are at least willing to try, and are more likely to give back to Gentoo. This is the reason, IMHO, that the forums here have kept very friendly and helpful, despite the popularity of Gentoo. Noobs are fine. Noobs that whine when things don't work out of the box and don't contribute back to the system just end up polluting it.

As soon as you remove that hurdle of a not-so-simple installer to get into Gentoo, the quality of the forums will go down, and thus the quality of Gentoo itself.

To be fair, I haven't looked at the new installer, and I have not tried it. I'm just taking a grand overview of what happens when certain users come into a given community.
srlinuxx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben2040 wrote:
Hi

Ben

Cuz we don't want to give up our l33t geekness. ... or is it geek l33tness? :P (j/k)
Nard`
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I think id find a graphical installer distracting. I thought they were making an ncurses based version of it though? might use that. I've got to admit, I quite like the OpenBSD install where you have a script ask you a few questions. It'd be nice if gentoo had that, you could still need to enter all the same information but it might be quicker and youd be assured you hadn't forgot anything :) Hmm, maybye I should script it. I could make it have different profiles to start with for people a bit unsure of what they want.

I've nearly convinced myself that would be a good idea! Oh wait, that's what the gentoo installer is about...
Icehat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srlinuxx wrote:
Ben2040 wrote:
Hi

Ben

Cuz we don't want to give up our l33t geekness. ... or is it geek l33tness? :P (j/k)

I don't agree with that...
In my opnion, it's not that you use an installer, that you're a n00b or so...
I mean, it's just more easy and more user-friendly to use an installer.
And since it's in active(?) development, I think it's on it's way :)

I agree with Ben2040.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I will probably use it if my current install becomes too screwed up to work right, I am not typing this crap out a fourth time which will require me to use two machines one for the manual and then the one I'm actually installing it on. It might make me take a chance and install it on my laptop. I am still debating what Linux distro to put on the laptop I am saving for, an installer would definetly put Gentoo higher on the list.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
numerodix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I will use it. In my book there is no better way to install anything than to define all the settings in advance and then just leave it be, I hate having to time things to estimate when I have to be back to start the next phase just to make the install as short as possible.
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bakreule wrote:
I like the lack of an installer for two reasons.
<snip>

I agree. I got mightily sick of the hundreds of threads along the lines of "I've just installed Gentoo and it's great and wonderful but it needs a graphical installer!". It seemed to me that the people complaining about the lack of it were expecting Gentoo to be something it wasn't.

The current install is fine by me; it only takes maybe half an hour in the evening and another half hour the next morning, with the bootstrap and emerge system overnight. I don't think a graphical installer will really improve that, and yes, it'll reduce my g33k l33tn355 :-)
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never use the GUI installer.
funduk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't watch things compile with an installer (at least not likely) and I get off on watching things compile :oops:

hahaha

So yea, 'Never'.
srlinuxx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icehat wrote:
srlinuxx wrote:
Ben2040 wrote:
Hi

Ben

I agree with Ben2040.

I was just kidding. But I actually think it's a lot of overhead that'll slow an already long process down. With so much compiling, we'll spend most of the time looking at a purty splash screen with perhaps a progress bar or a frame buffered output of the compile. Anyway, there should always be a choice. Don't thrust a gui installer upon those of us who'd rather not.

Unless they do like the old connectiva and include pacman to do while installing! :D
Icehat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srlinuxx wrote:
Icehat wrote:
srlinuxx wrote:
Ben2040 wrote:
Hi

Ben

I agree with Ben2040.

I was just kidding. But I actually think it's a lot of overhead that'll slow an already long process down. With so much compiling, we'll spend most of the time looking at a purty splash screen with perhaps a progress bar or a frame buffered output of the compile. Anyway, there should always be a choice. Don't thrust a gui installer upon those of us who'd rather not.

Unless they do like the old connectiva and include pacman to do while installing! :D

I prefer Tetris or Patience... :D
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't the gui turn off after all of your selections are made and the compile is ready to begin?

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
DNL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funduk wrote:
You can't watch things compile with an installer (at least not likely) and I get off on watching things compile :oops:

hahaha

So yea, 'Never'.

If that's the case, I definetly would not use the installer. Aside from the reassuring feeling of seeing things compiling, I would be concerned about something getting stuck during the process and the installer's gui keeping you from seeing the output. Then again, there really isn't a good reason I can think of as to why they couldn't make it so you could watch things during the compile and because of that, I'm going to assume for now that they will make it that way, it seems only logical.

For that reason, I say hell yeah I'll use a gui installer IF it delivers the power in the convenience of a gui, and doesn't try to get all fancy smancy for the sake of fancy smancyness. If your geekdom comes from installing gentoo through a text interface, then I question whether the schwartz is truly with you. :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: