Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Lockup after starting X (Reiser4 on 2.6.11-gentoo-r4)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrono325
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Lockup after starting X (Reiser4 on 2.6.11-gentoo-r4) Reply with quote

Well, like the name says, I am getting a lockup just after starting X. It starts gdm, lets me log in, sucessfully starts xfce4.2, and I can even start firefox-1.0.2 before it locks up. When it does, the mouse can still move, but thats about it, no keyboard input at all, can't even toggle num/caps/scroll lock. I have reiser4 as / and ext2 for /boot.

I recently booted gentoo-minimal-livecd-20050307 (with reiser4progs-1.0.4) and ran fsck.reiser4 --fix and fsck.reiser4 --build-fs as well as --build-sb. It found and said that it corrected a number of errors. During startup, just before init starts, it *sometimes* says "mounting filesystem with fatal errors, mounting read only" (maybe slightly different wording). A little later on it remounts the root read/write and seems to work fine. I have been running reiser4 since september with no previous problems on kernels from 2.6.8 up to 2.6.10. I hear here that there were some problems with 2.6.11 (I am not using SMP btw).

Thanks for any help; thank god for the Reiser4... erm Unsupported Software forum 8)

P.S. I applied the patches from 2.6.11-broken-out.2 in the order specified in the "serie" file, about 20 patches in all. They all applied cleanly and the kernel (2.6.11-gentoo-r4) compiled without complaining about reiser4 at all. Yes, I am using 8k stacks.

Playing russian roulette with Reiser4 since 9/10/04.
Pentium 4 Northwood 2.4Ghz, NPTL, udev, initng, gentoo-sources-2.6.11-r6 with reiser4: How would you like to hardlock today?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reiser4 is still inmature and almost any system running reiser4 will suffer lots of lockups, overall if you also are running nvidia drivers. Does not matter what people say out there, reiser4 dont work well in linux.

I suffered that hangs in lots of machines testing reiser4 and i dont use anymore till linus decides to include it in the kernel (this surely will not happen, at least in a great amount of time), yes, it is fast, but i dont like linux hanging even harder than win.

Anyway, have you tried to ssh into that machine when it hangs?? if you can run top and see what is taking up the system resources, surely is the reiser4 stull in the kernel...
feld
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're crazy man. never had a lockup yet with reiser4

-Feld

if (random(65535)< 65500) { hose(partition); for (i=0;i<100000000;i++) print_crap(); }
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. Even if you had not any (no one at all i doubt, but...) issue with reiser4 i does not mean it is mature yet. Millions of persons has issues with it, and if only where 10 persons then that would mean that in a percentage of the cases it don't work.

For a filesystem to be stable it is necessary to check it in ALL configurations, to certificate that if will work ok in all cases. If it does not the it is not stable. It's easy to understand. For me it was not, and for so many people all along the world it also caused troubles.

Anyway if you think that you understand the issue better than Linux Torvalds then maybe you should make a fork of the Linux kernel. :lol:
chrono325
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that Reiser4 cannot be as mature as the typical filesystem which have been around for years (or decades), and know that I am taking a risk in running it. Before now it had been working just fine, no warnings of fatal errors or lockups. I know that many people shun those who run reiser4 as ricers (hmm, being called a ricer in the gentoo forums is like the pinnacle of ricerdom), but that is what the Unsupported Software forum is for, I believe. I do not want to start a flamewar or anything, 6thpink (god knows theres already enough of one going on in the other forums and mailing lists), I merely want help with a problem which I believe to be solvable.

Anyway, I tried booting under 2.6.10-gentoo-r6 and it seems to work for now (I am typing this message on it). I have only started firefox, thunderbird, and Terminal (the xfce one). I still got the message "Warning, mounting filesystem with fatal errors, forcing read-only mount". Just for good measure, I rebooted with the reiser4-enabled live-cd and ran
Code:
debugfs.reiser4 -C /dev/hda4
fsck.reiser4 --fix /dev/hda4
It finished saying that it had corrected all errors it came across, of which there were few. But still, when I tried to mount hda4 (my root reiser4 partition) while still booted with the live-cd, it gave the same "filesystem with fatal errors" message. Could it just be 2.6.11 then? I would like to know whether anyone else has managed to get reiser4 working under 2.6.11-gentoo and if so, which patches they applied.

just for reference, I used the following script to patch my kernel:
Code:

#!/bin/bash
# Applies reiser4 patches to kernel
for p in serie;    # serie is the file distributed with the reiser4 break-out patches
                       # telling in which order the patches should be applied.
do
     patch -p1 < $p
done

Pentium 4 Northwood 2.4Ghz, NPTL, udev, initng, gentoo-sources-2.6.11-r6 with reiser4: How would you like to hardlock today?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was not my intention neither, sorry :cry: . The comments were direct to feld (im not crazy at all, just opinios), for the post above mine, not for you. Sorry anyway.

I understand what a unstable system is and I've also tried reiser4, so im not going to flame, nor anything similar, about that (I like testing, although it could have seem like i dont). Just wanted to share my stability issues.
chrono325
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No harm done, just wondering whether you know if there is a solution.

EDIT: Okay, I think I solved it. it doesn't seem to be a reiser4 problem, but a Composite one. So Hans Reiser gets off the hook, this time :lol:

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: