View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, I've done the 2x command sequence of "make && make modules && make modules_install && make install" after slight kernel changes (like discovering and setting the right options for my chipset, Intel i830M), rebooted two or three times after executing the same commands, just to work around the possible kernel 2.6.11-r6 bug, but to no avail. I still can't get Gentoo to finish booting. At least Grub works; I can boot to XP without a hitch.

I noticed that overlayed on the random screen fuzz was a pattern of 6 distinct rectangles dividing the screen, so I enabled tile blitting under the graphics options for kernel config. However, that doesn't make a difference; I just took a chance that the Intel graphics chip worked the same as a lot of Matrox cards. I'm not familiar with Intel cards, and the Dell site for the Latitude X200 doesn't detail much in the way of capabilities for the various Intel components of this computer. Alas, I was far more familiar with my old laptop; I knew that Toshiba through and through.

As this now is probably only just a hardware recognition/enabling problem, and not a Jackass problem, I'll be searching the forum threads elsewhere, or if any of you have any questions or suggestions, PM me.

I couldn't reproduce the kernel installation failure; examining /boot showed my kernel as well as the config.old entries from the initial compilation.
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
All right, I've done the 2x command sequence of "make && make modules && make modules_install && make install" after slight kernel changes (like discovering and setting the right options for my chipset, Intel i830M), rebooted two or three times after executing the same commands, just to work around the possible kernel 2.6.11-r6 bug, but to no avail. I still can't get Gentoo to finish booting. At least Grub works; I can boot to XP without a hitch.

I noticed that overlayed on the random screen fuzz was a pattern of 6 distinct rectangles dividing the screen, so I enabled tile blitting under the graphics options for kernel config. However, that doesn't make a difference; I just took a chance that the Intel graphics chip worked the same as a lot of Matrox cards. I'm not familiar with Intel cards, and the Dell site for the Latitude X200 doesn't detail much in the way of capabilities for the various Intel components of this computer. Alas, I was far more familiar with my old laptop; I knew that Toshiba through and through.

As this now is probably only just a hardware recognition/enabling problem, and not a Jackass problem, I'll be searching the forum threads elsewhere, or if any of you have any questions or suggestions, PM me.

I couldn't reproduce the kernel installation failure; examining /boot showed my kernel as well as the config.old entries from the initial compilation.

Hey night a sugestion for now might be at least to test the jackass tarball to remove all framebuffer options in you grub.conf. and see if the compueter will boot jackass that way. That way we can warrant out the possibility of a jackass problem.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

intel chipsets can be a bitch to get configured with framebuffers. my experience has been that even when properly configured, the intel chipsets' framebuffers still have bugs in the display. search for i810 in the subject and bob p in the author, and you'll find LOTS of hits.

another thing you may want to consider is skipping the intel framebuffer problem and testing jackass. :wink:

edit: dang! Jeremy beat me to the punch!
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
another thing you may want to consider is skipping the intel framebuffer problem and testing jackass. :wink:

But, when I follow your guide right down to the identical grub.conf, including the boot entry without framebuffer, it still doesn't boot. AFAICT, the rest of the boot line for the "fallback' entry is just display size information, not framebuffer parameters. And even then, booting the fallback entry doesn't work. But even so, I guess I can boot back into Gentoo and remove all framebuffer support from the kernel--or at least, the initrd stuff. And I'll search on the side for your i810 thread(s); that's not too far removed from my own i830.
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
edit: dang! Jeremy beat me to the punch!
:D I'm just that quick. so bob when i get home can i just issue
Code:
# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# env-update && source /etc/profile
or do i have to
Code:
# cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf
# cp /proc/mounts  /mnt/gentoo/etc/mtab

before i re-issue the kernel config commands
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to put in your own resolv.conf, and you can copy /proc/mounts if you want, it won't hurt anything. I also just wanted to say that I sent an e-mail to the catalyst mailing list about a blocked packages problem I was having when building the livecd, and a developer responded first saying that they hacked the portage tree to do it (what I figured they had done, and what I was planning on doing), and then later sent another reply told me that he went and removed the block in the official portage snapshot. :o Now that is service. :)

Last edited by Sith_Happens on Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
You'll have to put in your own resolv.conf, and you can copy /proc/mounts if you want, it won't hurt anything.
cool beans that's what i thought. thanx ryan
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well I've changed the server authentication process yet again, now you all login with your forum usernames and passwords which I will send to you ASAP. If you want to use your own password, just pm me with one and I'll set that as your password. (make it one you don't use for anything else, I don't want that kind of responsibility. i.e. don't give me your forum password).
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy, on the subject of that "make install" failure, please post your experiences to this thread:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2363915.html

and to the bug report on bugzilla:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=90871
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, gents. I've finally got a working Jackass Pentium (plain ol' Pentium) tarball system to install and boot up. So far I've emerged gpm and Lynx (the only text-only browser I know of besides links2, which is far superior but is only found on the LiveCD. The first thing I did was do "emerge sync" followed by "emerge -auDv world" which tried to update Python to 2.3.5, which failed miserably. I posted about that in Bob's related thread.

I have no idea which of the five final kernel options I chose after 9 or 10 recompiles finally worked. Though I booted this time without framebuffer at all, at least I have a working system, ya know? In spite of digging through all sorts of the generated info & options when still using the LiveCD in an attempt to discover what it used to get a working framebuffer console, I didn't find anything in particular. So I bypassed the crappy Intel i830 framebuffer entirely. Next step: emerge X11 and Gnome. I assume you want me to live with this system for awhile? Or just emerge common "big" desktop packages like X, Gnome, and Firefox?

I must say, this system just FLIES along. I always forget just how much faster my systems are when they're text-only, but even on top of that, this Pentium stage actually seems a smidge faster than the last time I did a stage 1/3 install using the 2004.3 official Gentoo tarball with the arch specified as P3! I like the potential here; I like it a lot.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
Okay, gents. I've finally got a working Jackass Pentium (plain ol' Pentium) tarball system to install and boot up. So far I've emerged gpm and Lynx (the only text-only browser I know of besides links2, which is far superior but is only found on the LiveCD. The first thing I did was do "emerge sync" followed by "emerge -auDv world" which tried to update Python to 2.3.5, which failed miserably. I posted about that in Bob's related thread.

ok, first of all, the python problem is not related to Jackass!, other than to the extent that there is a bad version of python in the portage tree, and Jackass! performance is dependent upon the portage tree if you emerge sync.

Actually, yoiu would have avoided this problem if yoiu had not emerge sync'd. I've spent an entire month surveying the portage tree, and waiting to release the RC-03 tarballs with a stable portage snapshot. The portage snapshot included on your tarball was stable. You sync'd into an unstable portage tree and caused your own problem.

Now I have to admit, there's not much that the average user could do to avoid this. Suffice it to say that Jackass! worked before you sync'd, and didn't work afterward, because of a bad ebuild in portage. It looks like the problem is fixed now, so re-sync and try again.

Just to put things into perspective -- you testers are testing the portage snapshots that we supply with Jackass!, not Jackass! itself. We've had about 75,000 Stage 1/3 users who were actually beta testers for the Jackass! project without even knowing it. The only difference here is that you guys are testing specific portage snapshots for us.

Quote:
I must say, this system just FLIES along. I always forget just how much faster my systems are when they're text-only, but even on top of that, this Pentium stage actually seems a smidge faster than the last time I did a stage 1/3 install using the 2004.3 official Gentoo tarball with the arch specified as P3! I like the potential here; I like it a lot.

yeah, Jackass! is by far the fastest flavor of 'nix out there for an older box. :twisted:
BertsInn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Installing Jackass Now Reply with quote

I am in process of installing the Jackass(plain pentium) right now. On the "emerge --nodeps acpid ntp" section. As I am using a K6-2/500 box, am I polluting anything by not changing the -march & -mtune settings? i.e. not optimizing for a specific chip. In talking with Ryan the project needs as many ebuilds tested as possible after installation. Hoping my tests are of value and not skewed by incorrect processor. Comments welcome and appreciated.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Jackass Now Reply with quote

BertsInn wrote:
I am in process of installing the Jackass(plain pentium) right now. On the "emerge --nodeps acpid ntp" section. As I am using a K6-2/500 box, am I polluting anything by not changing the -march & -mtune settings? i.e. not optimizing for a specific chip. In talking with Ryan the project needs as many ebuilds tested as possible after installation. Hoping my tests are of value and not skewed by incorrect processor. Comments welcome and appreciated.
No, leave all settings in the make.conf as is, the settings are fine for your processor.
BertsInn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Jackass Now Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
BertsInn wrote:
No, leave all settings in the make.conf as is, the settings are fine for your processor.

Thanks, used default flags and Jackass is running wild, loose, and free on my box. Couple of minor kernel issues to work out dealing with ACPI and video framebuffer. One other thing to fix is at login prompt I get "jackass9@unknown_domain" instead of what I expected. Any clues??? Jackass install took 6 hrs whereas same box doing 2005.0 stage1/3 took right at a week. Bob and Sith_Happens get the "TALL FROSTY" award.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the K6 boxes all use a 586 CHOST setting, so you can just use the pentium-mmx tarball on them. my web server is actually hosted on a K6 box. i have installed it using the pentium-mmx tarball. i've even configured the kernel as if the CPU were a pentium-mmx, instead of a k6. i've done this primarily so that i can move the hard disk to another pentium-class box if the need should arise.

on the subject of testing jackass!, i would prefer that you DO NOT discuss the jackass! project outside of this thread. you should certainly not be discussing your activities as a tester in other threads on the forum. i thought that confidentiality issues would have been addressed before you were added to the private server.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Jackass Now Reply with quote

BertsInn wrote:
Bob and Sith_Happens get the "TALL FROSTY" award.

you know, alot of people TALK about giving me the TALL FROSTY AWARD, but they don't seem to follow through by clicking on the link and actually BUYING me the TALL FROSTY. :?
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
on the subject of testing jackass!, i would prefer that you DO NOT discuss the jackass! project outside of this thread. you should certainly not be discussing your activities as a tester in other threads on the forum. i thought that confidentiality issues would have been addressed before you were added to the private server.
I wouldn't say security is a big concern. I mean this thread has nearly 29000 views, the Jackass! project has to be the worst kept secret since Liberachi. :wink: The bigger concern is keeping release of media between developers and testers, as long as you do that we are cool. The real reason in my mind to address concerns to this thread are:
1) not to confuse people into thinking that Jackass! has actually been released by having one of us blabbing about it on the forums, and
2) if you are having problems with the install, I'd like to know about it, thats sort of the point of having testers.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mein Gott. After umpteen+ hours (well, maybe not quite that many ^_^), I finally have a working graphical desktop on top of the basic Jackass install. Gnome is up and running, though I've had more emerge & installation problems in this one Gentoo install than I had when running my old Gentoo system(s) for months at a time!

Specifically, I had problems compiling libsvga (for xscreensaver, a requirement of Gnome & other graphic packages), problems compiling glibc-2.3.5, getting package.provided to work correctly and filter out Evolution and Mozilla, a broken Flash installer script for Firefox, and sundry others.

HOWEVER, I am pleased to report that none of them were caused by the Jackass toolkit, AFAIK. In fact, on a couple of the support threads I visited, some users pointed out that using GCC 3.4.3 and up would fix emerging certain packages! That the "stable" (but broken) complaining package could only be compiled by the "unstable" (testing) versions of GCC. BVery good news, indeed.

So, what's the plan now? I mean, I'm back in business and everything, unlike last month when I was stuck in Windows and hence could only theoretically contribute, besides spreading the good word about Linux in general--and getting a very smart computer-savvy friend of mine to switch from Debian to Gentoo!

By the way, like the new icon? I was browsing around for pictures of jackass penguins, and I found one that I just had to use as my icon. Penguins are in.
BertsInn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
yes, the K6 boxes all use a 586 CHOST setting, so you can just use the pentium-mmx tarball on them. my web server is actually hosted on a K6 box. i have installed it using the pentium-mmx tarball. i've even configured the kernel as if the CPU were a pentium-mmx, instead of a k6. i've done this primarily so that i can move the hard disk to another pentium-class box if the need should arise.

I did not mean to overstep any boundries as set forth to me. Thus all issues/success' should go in this specific post for now, is that you are saying? For testing Q&A I can understand this and abide by the rules but this topic will get huge if all reporting is done here.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BertsInn wrote:
this topic will get huge if all reporting is done here
It's already 29 pages, and the project is nearly complete. So I wouldn't worry about it.
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob. Check your PM's :)

EDIT: Hey ryan, is the server down again?
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidianblackhawk wrote:
Hey Bob. Check your PM's :)

EDIT: Hey ryan, is the server down again?
Shouldn't be. I'm typing on it right now. :wink: Could you try acessing it again?
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep getting a forbidden error every time i access it.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was messing with the apache configuration and forgot to change it back. All better now. :)
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bert, i don't have any real problems with anything that you did. my point is just to say keep everything Jackass! in this thread, and don't put it into other forums. its no big deal if this thread gets long -- that's what its here for. :wink:

@Jeremy, i've got the tarball up for you to download on my FTP box. let me know if everything is ok, and after the prelininary test i'll pass it along to Ryan.

@Jack, there is a problem with 2.3.5 on 586 platforms, referenced in this thread:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-329143.html

Jackass! for Pentium has been specifically designed to avoid the problematic ebuild. If you undermine the integrity of Jackass! by changing the values contained in package.keywords, thereby facilitating the emerge of a package that has otherwise been blocked, then you're no longer using the Jackass! toolkit, and you're on your own. :!: :!:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 29 of 30

Jump to: