Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Stage 1/3 Installation Support - 2005.0 & GCC 3.4.3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P,

thank you for this excelent how-to.
Let me just point out that those installing in an AMD64 can pass forward the 7.1 step, since the AMD64 2005.0 stage3 comes with gcc-3.4.3. The steps between 6.5 and 7.2 should be adapted, since the CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS and USE flags don't have to be set to gcc-3.3.5 and should be set to gcc-3.4.3. Also, as far as i know, vesafb-tng is not supported on AMD64. Therefore, one must compile the support for vesafb and must alter the /etc/grub/grub.conf definition to use "vga=???" statement, instead of "video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-16@85". I'm using 1280x1024 and thus have "vga=794".

Jorge.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmbsvicetto wrote:
Bob P,

thank you for this excelent how-to.
Let me just point out that those installing in an AMD64 can pass forward the 7.1 step, since the AMD64 2005.0 stage3 comes with gcc-3.4.3. The steps between 6.5 and 7.2 should be adapted, since the CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS and USE flags don't have to be set to gcc-3.3.5 and should be set to gcc-3.4.3. Also, as far as i know, vesafb-tng is not supported on AMD64. Therefore, one must compile the support for vesafb and must alter the /etc/grub/grub.conf definition to use "vga=???" statement, instead of "video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-16@85". I'm using 1280x1024 and thus have "vga=794".

Jorge.
Let me also point out that those who are installing on the AMD64 architecture can follow Jorge's advice if they wish, he seems right on the money (although I'm unsure about the vesa-tng part), but remember that installations on AMD64 architectures or any other non-x86 architectures are not supported by this how-to. If you run into problems, create a new topic, don't post to this support thread. Also, in the future please refrain from telling people to deviate/modify the guide. I know you didn't mean to cause trouble, but this kind of advice will only cause confusion, and hence more work for those of us providing support for this install meathod. Muchas Gracias. :)
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your kind words, and for your interesting post about adapting the Guide for AMD64. we discussed AMD64 in the main Stage 1/3 thread acouple of days ago, and i had mentioned that the Guide should not be used for installations on AMD64 boxes.

i agree that there's no reason that you can't adapt this installation method to any of the architectures that Gentoo supports... but as Sith has said, this thread is about how to perform the Stage 1/3 Install on x86 boxes -- specifically, Intel x86-type architectures. Some people have adapted it two work with a variety of AMD processors, but its important to remember that AMD64 is an altogether different animal than x86.

The changes that one would need to make to adapt this installation method to AMD64, PPC, or some other alternate architecture are different enough that they should really be addressed in their own thread. I don't really mind that people try to adapt this installation method to other architectures, but as Sith pointed out, people making recommendations to skip sections could really create a confusing state of affairs for people who are trying to follow the Guide.

For this reason, I'm going to echo Sith's recommendations that users of atlernate architectures refrain from posting suggestions to deviate from the Guide in this thread, as it will only create confusion. (kind of like the tangent we had going with Reiser 4).

fwiw, i've added a hyperlink to Sith's warning to the "Quick Reference Guide" in the first post of this thread:

:arrow: AMD64 - Unsupported: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-314985-start-427.html
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P and Sith,

I understand your point on not suggesting deviations from the guide and in recalling that the guide refers only to X86. For that, I'm sorry. :(
However, I just want to explain that purpose with that post was to compliment Bob P for his great guide, and by the way all those that support it like Sith, and to inform those with an AMD64 that it's possible to follow the guide with very small adaptions. I'll refrain from explaining this in more detail, so as not to direct discussion on AMD64 to this thread. Anyone interested can send me an e-mail or pm.
Bob, being a "newborn" on the Gentoo forums, I won't try to create a thread in the nearby future. If you're interested in getting info on the installation on AMD64, I'll be glad to help.
Keep up the good work with the install guide and the support.

Last edited by jmbsvicetto on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not a BIG deal, really, so don't feel like you have to apologize. its just that it takes an awful lot of our time to handle this support thread, so we're trying to add things to the Guide that simplify logicstics for us, and avoid things that complicate logistics for us. :wink:

in regard to being a Gentoo newborn, i wouldn't let that make you hesitate to post helpful information. if you've got good ideas, share them in an appropriate thread. somebody will be glad that you did, and the worst thing that can happen is that you can make a misteak. 8)
mope
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh oh, I hope I don't get in too much trouble for this...

I just recently recieved my 700m which is a pentium-m.
I was going to just do a stage 1 install, and the only stage 1 I know of is in x86.
While I was starting that install, I found this guide (kinda hard, but just cruising around in links)
So I grabbed a stage 3 tarball.

Now, I wasn't blindly following the guide, I just haven't ever used anything higher than a stage1 tarball and wasn't quite certain whether my pentium-m was a pentium3 or pentium4.
I was also sitting in the stage 1 directory and just grabbed a stage3 from the same directory (not wget). I also always thought of the x86 stages as unoptimized, so grabbing a stage3 x86, to my understanding, was just an unoptimized one that could be rebuilt later if desired, but not that things would break from that.

It looks like the consensus about my processor is that it's a pentium3 with extra features.

So I got so far as the python error and then I started to do an emerge -e system && emerge -e system rebuild and then just decided to scratch it and start over per your recommendation that gremlins be hiding if one takes that route.

OK, so I grabbed a stage3 pentium3 tarball. Do I just extract that over my install?
Or do I need to actually clean my hardrive first?

As it stands, I just untarred it across my partitions, without erasing anything.
Then I am starting from step 1 and rebuilding the toolchain.

Should I be good to fly? Or should I erase all of the partitions to get rid of any x86 tarball remnants?
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intel has 2 different Pentium-M's.

Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor - M

and

Intel® Pentium® M Processor.

The first of those is P-4 based and the latter is P-3.
ats2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Keeping away from dangerous updates with this install ? Reply with quote

Hi, all

I really appreciated the detailed explanations of this install method, being new to Gentoo. Thank to BobP for this.
However - still being noob - I completly borked my system with the first update (glibc 2.3.5 probably). Reinstall of the previous glibc -2.3.4.20050-125-r1) and kde recompile didn't solve the problem.

So, I've decided to reinstall the whole thing. But the questin now is : how can I ensure, once the reinstall is okay, not to break things again and still benefit of the ebuilds updates ?
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping away from dangerous updates with this install ? Reply with quote

ats2 wrote:
Hi, all

I really appreciated the detailed explanations of this install method, being new to Gentoo. Thank to BobP for this.
However - still being noob - I completly borked my system with the first update (glibc 2.3.5 probably). Reinstall of the previous glibc -2.3.4.20050-125-r1) and kde recompile didn't solve the problem.

So, I've decided to reinstall the whole thing. But the questin now is : how can I ensure, once the reinstall is okay, not to break things again and still benefit of the ebuilds updates ?
I suppose that would depend on figuring out what you did wrong, and then not doing it again. :wink: So, do you have some idea of where your install went wrong? At what point did you realize it was borked?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it feels like its getting to the point that i have to re-post this at the top of every page or that people won't see it:

Bob P wrote:
There seem to be quite a few instances where people ask for support without telling us enough information to allow us to help them. So just as a general announcement for everyone, I'd like to repeat the following:

When asking for support, please give us all of the information that we need to approach your problem. This would include:

1. the full output of the error message you received
2. the output of "emerge --info"
3. the name of the tarball that you installed from

as smart as we are, we are not clairvoyant. we need information to be able to help you. if you cannot meet the requisite criteria in posting a support request, don't expect an accurate answer when you ask for help. without knowing the nature of your problem, we can do nothing more than blindly take shots in the dark 8) .
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:arrow: I have recently encountered a problem with Gentoo-Sources 2.6.11-r6 wherein the "make install" command intermittently fails to install the newly compiled kernel onto a properly mounted boot partition.

When performing the Stage 1/3 Install, Section 9.3.3 asks you to perform the following command:

Stage 1/3 Guide wrote:
9.3.3 Compiling the Kernel

To compile your kernel and install the kernel and selected modules, issue the following command. I find that this one works a bit better than some of the other one-liner kernel compilation commands. If you should run into a problem where kernel compilation fails, its easy to determine where the problem was. In addition, this command will also install the kernel for you:

Code:
# make && make modules && make modules_install && make install

:arrow: if you perform this command, and the "make install" portion of your kernel build command fails to install the kernel in your boot partition, please do the following:

1. Post your experience in this thread:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2363915.html

2. Post you experience to the open bug report in bugzilla:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=90871
dusdus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's good to know, I've sucessfully installed this kind of installation on my amd64, running smoothly and faster than my former stage1 install.
Of course you need to consider it's "a different animal" than the x86, but still... it works :) so thanks!
ats2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Keeping away from dangerous updates with this install ? Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
ats2 wrote:
Hi, all

I suppose that would depend on figuring out what you did wrong, and then not doing it again. :wink: So, do you have some idea of where your install went wrong? At what point did you realize it was borked?

Well,
once I had completed the install following the guide ( I added kde first) , I had one real problem : Alsasound. First no sound, then sound (when disbaling oss support in kernel) but a computer freeze when I ran poweroff or reboot.
I tried and update the system, then it went more wrong :

Here are the files that were updated :

glibc 2.-3.4.20050-125-r1--> gibc-2.3.5
vixie-cron r4 -->r7
kbd 1.12.r3 --> 1.12.r4
links -pre15 --> -pre17
diffutils 2.8.7--r1 -> 2.8.7
grub 0.96-r1 -- > grub 0.94-r1
:?:

From this point, I couldn't run lsmod, or modprobe or mount -t ntfs. The first two commands issued a segfault the first time and just stopped dead the second time. Mount didn't find any longer ntfs module (which was compiled in the kernel).

Then I reinstalled glibc 2.-3.4.20050-125-r1, suspecting it would the main cause of this.
It solved partially the situation : I could use lsmod or modprobe in the linux console before launching kde, but not in kde and not after kde.
So I re-ermerged my kde previously intsalled packges. With the same result so far.

My question was simpler I think : what should I modify in gentoo config. files so that no experimental release of glibc or gcc should be merged, thus endangering the whole system ? Or you could say : what are the coorect and SAFE updates commands, from a fresh "installation guide" ?
ats2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
it feels like its getting to the point that i have to re-post this at the top of every page or that people won't see it:

Bob P wrote:
There seem to be quite a few instances where people ask for support without telling us enough information to allow us to help them. So just as a general announcement for everyone, I'd like to repeat the following:

When asking for support, please give us all of the information that we need to approach your problem. This would include:

as smart as we are, we are not clairvoyant. we need information to be able to help you. if you cannot meet the requisite criteria in posting a support request, don't expect an accurate answer when you ask for help. without knowing the nature of your problem, we can do nothing more than blindly take shots in the dark 8) .

1. Segmentation fault. (or endlessly blinking cursor )
2. Here's emerge --info output
Code:

Portage 2.0.51.19 (default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.4.3-20050110, glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1, 2.6.11-gentoo-r6 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.11-gentoo-r6 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
Python:              dev-lang/python-2.3.4-r1 [2.3.4 (#1, Apr 28 2005, 17:17:00)]
ccache version 2.3 [enabled]
dev-lang/python:     2.3.4-r1
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.59-r6, 2.13
sys-devel/automake:  1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.5, 1.4_p6, 1.9.4, 1.6.3
sys-devel/binutils:  2.15.92.0.2-r7
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.14
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.8.1-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/env /usr/kde/3.3/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms strict userpriv usersandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo http://gentoo.osuosl.org http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
LINGUAS="en-us fr"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X alsa apm arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts crypt cups curl emboss encode esd fam foomaticdb fortran gdbm gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 imagemagick imlib ipv6 jpeg kde libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mozilla mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl ogg oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl png ppds python qt quicktime readlinesdl spell ssl svga tcpd tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts vorbis xml2 xmms xv zlib linguas_en-us linguas_fr"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CBUILD, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS

3. I didn't install from a tarball. It was the (glibc) emerge update described above.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
once I had completed the install following the guide ( I added kde first) , I had one real problem : Alsasound. First no sound, then sound (when disbaling oss support in kernel) but a computer freeze when I ran poweroff or reboot.

ALSA is not part of the Stage 1/3 installation Guide, and ALSA configuration errors are totally unrelated to this installation method.

The same is true for KDE. Problems with KDE should be discussed in the Desktop Environments forum. Just because you encountered problems with ALSA or KDE doesn't mean that there's a problem with your Gentoo install.

Quote:
My question was simpler I think : what should I modify in gentoo config. files so that no experimental release of glibc or gcc should be merged, thus endangering the whole system ? Or you could say : what are the coorect and SAFE updates commands, from a fresh "installation guide" ?

if you want no experimental release of glibc or gcc, then you can't use this installation method. stay with the Stage 3 Gentoo tarballs and follow the Gentoo Installation Handbook.

if you decide to stay with this installation method, i suggest the avoidance of glibc or gcc updates unless you are willing to perform an additional reduntant rebuild of the system using methods already discussed.

Last edited by Bob P on Sun May 01, 2005 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ats2 wrote:

unfrortunately, that's a rather incomplete description of the error. its impossible to tell what you're actually talking about. how about giving us some useful information by posting the screen output?

Quote:
3. I didn't install from a tarball. It was the (glibc) emerge update described above.

yes, you had to start from a tarball if you were using this guide. tell us which one it was.
ats2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
Quote:

ALSA is not part of the Stage 1/3 installation Guide, and ALSA configuration errors are totally unrelated to this installation method.

The same is true for KDE. Problems with KDE should be discussed in the Desktop Environments forum. Just because you encountered problems with ALSA or KDE doesn't mean that there's a problem with your Gentoo install.

Quote:

if you want no experimental release of glibc or gcc, then you can't use this installation method. stay with the Stage 3 Gentoo tarballs and follow the Gentoo Installation Handbook.

if you decide to stay with this installation method, i suggest the avoidance of glibc or gcc updates unless you are willing to perform an additional reduntant rebuild of the system using methods already discussed.

I know quite well Alsa or Kde install are not related with your install guide since I followed this guide. :) BUT, after having installed the system, I noticed there was actually an Alsa problem with my system which I tried to solve. Same for Kde : I know youu don't cover this in your guide, BUT i did install Kde and noticed a problem then.

By the way, I didn't say there was a problem with your install guide : there isn't !

What I said is : after the install was done - without problem - I tried and update my system running emerge --update system, which installed a new glibc, which broke things. So, I take it I should avoid gcc and glibc update : removing the gcc and glibc lines from packages.keyword ?

Last edited by ats2 on Sun May 01, 2005 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
ats2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
ats2 wrote:

unfrortunately, that's a rather incomplete description of the error. its impossible to tell what you're actually talking about. how about giving us some useful information by posting the screen output?

Quote:

yes, you had to start from a tarball if you were using this guide. tell us which one it was.

BobP >
I have 'segmentation fault' message without anything else when I run lsmod from kde or after quitting kde. Ican't post anything else because there's nothing else on the screen... 'Modprobe ...' freezes the console and 'mount -t ntfs ...' also.

For the tarball, I'm afraid I don't understand : I followed the guide you provide, then (see above) ran emerge --update and emerge replaced the packages given above by the ones given above also.
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I finally found a window of opportunity to reinstall my system using this method. Of course this time I took your advice (Bob & Sith) and grabbed a Pentium3 tarball and I adjusted my make.conf accordingly, I forgot to mentipon that I zero'ed out my drive to avoid any potential oddities during the install. However, I've reached step 7.1 and issued the specified command:

#env-update && source /etc/profile
#emerge gcc-config glibc binutils gcc

and a couple of hours later when my laptop was doing her thing she stopped, upon inspection of my screen I noticed several failed attempts to download binutils with the last line of every failed download attempt stating:

XX:XX:XX ERROR -1: Malinformed status line.

!!! Couldn't download binutils-2.15.92.0.2.tar.bz2. Aborting.

I checked my internet connection to make sure that I didn't get kicked off, but it's fine. Then I tried to run:

emerge binutils gcc

only to get the same error, then I searched the forums to see if anyone else had any similar problems, turned up nil. I hope that posting this support request under this thread is appropriate, if not I apologize.
as usual any advice would be much appreciated,
thanx
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ats2 wrote:
For the tarball, I'm afraid I don't understand : I followed the guide you provide, then (see above) ran emerge --update and emerge replaced the packages given above by the ones given above also.

its a very simple question actually -- what tarball did you wget when you did the install.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

southpaw wrote:
XX:XX:XX ERROR -1: Malinformed status line.

!!! Couldn't download binutils-2.15.92.0.2.tar.bz2. Aborting.

sounds like you've got a configuration probem. i'm not trying to sound like a wise guy, or to sound like a broken record, but whenever anyone asks for help, they must ALWAYS do this:

Quote:

by not giving all of that information, you haven't given me enough information to work with. my guess is that you have an error in make.conf. posting the contents of emerge --info would be helpful.:idea:
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that but I was on my way out the door when I entered that post.
Okay wiseguy here it goes:

Portage 2.0.51.19 (default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.3.5, glibc-2.3.4.20041102-r1, 2.6.11-gentoo-r3 i686)
=============================================================
System uname: 2.6.11-gentoo-r3 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1500MHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
Python: dev-lang/python-2.3.4-r1 [2.3.4 (#1, Mar 11 2005, 15:25:47)]
dev-lang/python: 2.3.4-r1
sys-apps/sandbox: [Not Present]
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.59-r6, 2.13
sys-devel/automake: 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.5, 1.4_p6, 1.6.3, 1.9.4
sys-devel/binutils: 2.15.92.0.2-r1
sys-devel/libtool: 1.5.10-r4
uirtual/os-headers: 2.6.8.1-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms strict userpriv usersandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://open-systems.ufl.edu/mirrors/gentoo http://gentoo.osuosl.org http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X alsa apm arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts crypt cups emboss encode foomaticdb fortran gdbm gif gnome gpm gtk gtk2 imlib ipv6 jpeg kde libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl png python qt quicktime readline sdl spell ssl svga tcpd truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts xm12 xmms xv zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux libc_glibc"
Unset: ASFLAGS, CBUILD, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS

...well there you have it WISE GUY hopfully this will tell you what you need to know...
thanx again
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try putting FEATURES="-strict" before your emerge statement, see if that helps.
ats2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
ats2 wrote:

its a very simple question actually -- what tarball did you wget when you did the install.

Oh, that one ! I thought you were talking about updating from a tarball. :lol:

Here are the two tarballs I used :

portage : portage-20050419.tar.bz2
stage 3 : stage3-pentium4-2005.0.tar.bz2

Both md5 checksums were correct.
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sith,
Thanks for your reply, however, I won't be able to try your suggestion until later tonight for I too many arron's to run today on this manic monday. Now after I read your post I got to thinking about the command you told me to try and it made me wonder about my current install as opposed to my prior install that posted about on page 16 I think. Anyway, what I wanted to ask you before I start rambling too much is, do you think that this issue has anything to do with a funky binutils ebuild for the pentium3 architecture? Now me being a noob and all, I don't know if the ebuilds are written as architecture specific or are they written as one for all, for example binutils-2.15.92.0.2-r2 for all x86 (i686, pentium3, pentium4, and so on..)??
Just a thought, I didn't mean to go too off topic if I was, I just thought I'd ask.
thanx
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 18 of 24

Jump to: