Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Stage 1/3 Installation Support - 2005.0 & GCC 3.4.3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ub3rg00b3r
n00b
n00b


Joined: 19 Dec 2004
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh..... same problem, and the only thing in my bios that changes ram power, is "DDR Reference Voltage" And the lowest option I can pick, is 2-something (not at home right now, cant remember specifics). Everybody loves murphy's law!
_________________
I put my pants on just like the rest of you, one leg at a time... but once my pants are on.. I make gold records.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ub3rg00b3r
n00b
n00b


Joined: 19 Dec 2004
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... nothing here? Im kind of in a rut.....
_________________
I put my pants on just like the rest of you, one leg at a time... but once my pants are on.. I make gold records.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
carpman
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Posts: 2202
Location: London - UK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build without PAM!

Ok i have just built a server for open exchange using Jackass project livecd, problem is that OX needs apps building with -pam so using info on forums i update scripts suggested for Jackass/stage 1/3 i rebuilt system (excluding TC) with -pam.

Still can't login so thought that maybe building system using stage 1/3 method might be better, any thoughts on this?

In guide it says add any user specific USE flags so would not be devienting from guide.

cheers
_________________
Work Station - 64bit
Gigabyte GA X48-DQ6 Core2duo E8400
8GB GSkill DDR2-1066
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
--------------------------------
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mr2600
n00b
n00b


Joined: 22 Feb 2004
Posts: 54
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no problems working with your guide but...

On first reboot I get a problem where it says it cant remount root as read/write and panics with a ":(" and then goes to maintenance mode.

What did I do wrong? :(
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ub3rg00b3r
n00b
n00b


Joined: 19 Dec 2004
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty! This is the plan man! I swapped the mobo with the exact same type, and im gonna go through again.


Truckin....
_________________
I put my pants on just like the rest of you, one leg at a time... but once my pants are on.. I make gold records.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ub3rg00b3r
n00b
n00b


Joined: 19 Dec 2004
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was the mobo, finished install... sheeesh
_________________
I put my pants on just like the rest of you, one leg at a time... but once my pants are on.. I make gold records.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Posts: 3355
Location: Jackass! Development Labs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr2600 wrote:
I had no problems working with your guide but...

On first reboot I get a problem where it says it cant remount root as read/write and panics with a ":(" and then goes to maintenance mode.

What did I do wrong? :(


:arrow: Failure on First Boot: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-299646-start-31.html
_________________
.
Stage 1/3 | Jackass! | Rockhopper! | Thanks | Google Sucks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Posts: 3355
Location: Jackass! Development Labs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ub3rg00b3r wrote:
it was the mobo, finished install... sheeesh

sorry to hear that you had so much trouble. i had run out of ideas a long time ago. i'm glad to hear that the harware swap solved your problem. :wink:
_________________
.
Stage 1/3 | Jackass! | Rockhopper! | Thanks | Google Sucks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mr2600
n00b
n00b


Joined: 22 Feb 2004
Posts: 54
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered my problem to be an issue with fstab, I think I was trying to use notail on ext3 (after having reiserfs before) and I guess you cant do that :) Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Posts: 3355
Location: Jackass! Development Labs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr2600 wrote:
I discovered my problem to be an issue with fstab, I think I was trying to use notail on ext3 (after having reiserfs before) and I guess you cant do that :) Thanks.

yeah, if you decide to change anything, its always good to know whether or not the changes are appropriate. :oops: glad to hear you've got it fixed. 8)
_________________
.
Stage 1/3 | Jackass! | Rockhopper! | Thanks | Google Sucks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Posts: 3355
Location: Jackass! Development Labs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:arrow: Problems Setting Hostname & Domainname

the new stable branch versions of baselayout have deprecated the use of /etc/hostname and /etc/dnsdomainname in favor of /etc/conf.d/hostname and /etc/conf.d/domainname. if you install/update to sys-apps/baselayout-1.11.12-r4 or later and you've used the deprecated /etc/hostname and /etc/dnsdomainname methods, you'll notice boot warnings. you can make them go away by following the second set of examples in Section 10.2 of the Stage 1/3 Guide.
_________________
.
Stage 1/3 | Jackass! | Rockhopper! | Thanks | Google Sucks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zecora
l33t
l33t


Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Posts: 627
Location: Minneapolis, MN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just wondering how you do not emerge 3.4.4 when you are trying to do a 3.4.3 install.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 3059
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zecora wrote:
I am just wondering how you do not emerge 3.4.4 when you are trying to do a 3.4.3 install.


Both 3.4.4 and 3.4.3 are masked ~x86. In the guide it has you unmasking a version of 3.4.3. So unless your /etc/make.conf has ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" 3.4.3 will be the only version installed.

And if you do happen to have ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" in make.conf then you can use the file /etc/portage/package.mask to mask the 3.4.4 versions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zecora
l33t
l33t


Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Posts: 627
Location: Minneapolis, MN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
zecora wrote:
I am just wondering how you do not emerge 3.4.4 when you are trying to do a 3.4.3 install.


Both 3.4.4 and 3.4.3 are masked ~x86. In the guide it has you unmasking a version of 3.4.3. So unless your /etc/make.conf has ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" 3.4.3 will be the only version installed.

And if you do happen to have ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" in make.conf then you can use the file /etc/portage/package.mask to mask the 3.4.4 versions.


So what do i need to do in /etc/portage/package.mask, becuase i just tried to do a 3.4.3 installed and after gcc emerged i did gcc-config -l and 3.4.4 came up.

In my make.conf i have ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86", So i am still new to this what do i need to do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Posts: 1807
Location: The University of Maryland at College Park

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use the global ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" in your make.conf, accept the keyword on a package by package basis by setting up a /etc/portage/package.keywords file. Add these lines to the file:
Code:
~sys-devel/gcc-3.4.3.20050110 ~x86
sys-devel/gcc-config ~x86
sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 ~x86
sys-libs/glibc ~x86
This will emerge all versions of gcc with the ~x86 keyword up to gcc 3.4.3.20050110 (the latest version of gcc 3.4.3 in portage) but allow for bugfix revisions (i.e. r1, r2, r3). The other lines handle the other toolchain packages that you need to use gcc 3.4.3.
_________________
"That question was less stupid; though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way."
I'm the brains behind Jackass! | Tutorials: Shorewall
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Posts: 3355
Location: Jackass! Development Labs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A personal message came along today:
Lord Vader wrote:
:D GREETINGS

I hope your installation guide would have Reiser4 file system as a part of it for users to use... Could you please edit your installation guide and make the Reiser4 as a choice for the users to use it? Please do reply if your free to reply...

Thank you,

Lord Vader.:D


Since this is a recurring theme, I thought I'd post a link to where this question has already been answered:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-314985-start-0.html


:arrow: Reiser 4 - Unsupported: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-299646-start-51.html

for those of you who are presumptuous enough to make personalized demands asking that the Guide be rewritten to provide Reiser 4 support to suit your individual preferences, please understand that Reiser 4 is unsupported because it is not sufficiently reliable to pass muster for inclusion in the Guide. :wink:

insofar as this information about Reiser 4's unsatisfactory performance is already present in the Support Threads, please bother to read this thread instead of sending me PMs and asking me for personalized support. that would be less embarassing.
_________________
.
Stage 1/3 | Jackass! | Rockhopper! | Thanks | Google Sucks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Posts: 3355
Location: Jackass! Development Labs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zecora wrote:
I am just wondering how you do not emerge 3.4.4 when you are trying to do a 3.4.3 install.


the answer to this question is: "Follow the Guide exactly as it is written."

as others have already mentioned, its best NOT to globally enable the testing branch, and its best to enable the testing branch on a per-package basis using package.keywords, like i've done in the Guide.

if you review the Stage 1/3 Guide for GCC 3.4.3 as it is written, the instructions are clear about exactly what needs to be done. since the information on exactly how to do the masking for GCC 3.4.3 and GCC 3.4.4 is already spelled out in detail in the GCC 3.4.3 and GCC 3.4.4 versions of the Stage 1/3 Guide, I'm assuming that you've taken the time to read and compare them already, and that your question pertains to the "atom" syntax used in package.keywords. you have already compared the masking techniques in both versions of the Guide, right?

3.4.3
Code:
# cat /etc/portage/package.keywords

# for a 586 CHOST
~sys-devel/gcc-3.4.3.20050110 ~x86
sys-devel/gcc-config ~x86
sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 ~x86
~sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4.20050125 ~x86


3.4.3
Code:
# cat /etc/portage/package.keywords

# for a 686 CHOST:
~sys-devel/gcc-3.4.3.20050110 ~x86
sys-devel/gcc-config ~x86
sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 ~x86
sys-libs/glibc ~x86


3.4.4
Code:
# cat /etc/portage/package.keywords

~sys-devel/gcc-3.4.4 ~x86
sys-devel/gcc-config ~x86
sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 ~x86
sys-libs/glibc ~x86

_________________
.
Stage 1/3 | Jackass! | Rockhopper! | Thanks | Google Sucks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whitesouls
Guru
Guru


Joined: 19 Nov 2004
Posts: 358
Location: In Front of My Laptop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
A personal message came along today:
Lord Vader wrote:
:D GREETINGS

I hope your installation guide would have Reiser4 file system as a part of it for users to use... Could you please edit your installation guide and make the Reiser4 as a choice for the users to use it? Please do reply if your free to reply...

Thank you,

Lord Vader.:D


Since this is a recurring theme, I thought I'd post a link to where this question has already been answered:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-314985-start-0.html


:arrow: Reiser 4 - Unsupported: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-299646-start-51.html

for those of you who are presumptuous enough to make personalized demands asking that the Guide be rewritten to provide Reiser 4 support to suit your individual preferences, please understand that Reiser 4 is unsupported because it is not sufficiently reliable to pass muster for inclusion in the Guide. :wink:

insofar as this information about Reiser 4's unsatisfactory performance is already present in the Support Threads, please bother to read this thread instead of sending me PMs and asking me for personalized support. that would be less embarassing.


:oops: Sorry...
_________________
whitesouls

Please insert the [SOLVED] tag if your problem is solved in your respective thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Posts: 3355
Location: Jackass! Development Labs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its nothing personal -- i'm just really tired of people who PM me and ask for personalized responses instead of reading what's already written in the support threads.

if you really want Reiser 4, follow those links that i posted. they'll take you to a special live CD that you have to use to perform a Reiser 4 install with the Guide. some people have reported good results, but if you choose to use it, remember that we don't support it. have fun.
_________________
.
Stage 1/3 | Jackass! | Rockhopper! | Thanks | Google Sucks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the_gummibear
n00b
n00b


Joined: 18 May 2005
Posts: 26
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: problem while emerging system Reply with quote

hey

i have a small problem while doing "emerge --emptytree system" during install..

i have an error while he's busy with ncurses

ERROR
Code:
/bin/sh: line 1: -I../c++: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [../obj_s/cursesf.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/ncurses-5.4-r6/work/narrowc/c++'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-libs/ncurses-5.4-r6 failed.
!!! Function do_compile, Line 86, Exitcode 2
!!! make failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.


EMERGE --INFO
Code:
Portage 2.0.51.19 (default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.3.5, glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1, 2.6.11-gentoo-r3 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.11-gentoo-r3 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
Python:              dev-lang/python-2.3.4-r1 [2.3.4 (#1, Mar 10 2005, 18:18:11)]
dev-lang/python:     2.3.4-r1
sys-apps/sandbox:    [Not Present]
sys-devel/autoconf:  [Not Present]
sys-devel/automake:  [Not Present]
sys-devel/binutils:  2.15.92.0.2-r10
sys-devel/libtool:   [Not Present]
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.8.1-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo/ http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo ftp://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.be.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 3dnow aalib acpi alsa apm avi berkdb bitmap-fonts cdr crypt cups divx4linux dvd dvdread emboss encode foomaticdb fortran gdbm gif gnome gpm gtk gtk2 imlib ipv6 java jpeg ldap libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mp3 mpeg msn nccurses ncurses nls odbc oggvorbis opengl oss pam pcmcia pdflib perl png pnp python quicktime readline sdl spell sse ssl tcpd tetex truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts usb xml xml2 xmms xv zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CBUILD, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY


somebody who has any idea?
hoped to get my system up during night (sleeping) but seems it'll need to wait till tomorrow :(

thx in advance
(i'm pretty noobish, using gentoo for 1-2 years now, but never really had the time to get to the core of it)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rdf24
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Posts: 5
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, thanks for the install method Bob. I've only noticed one thing (after step 7.2.5's rebuilding toolchain but before the emerge -e system) and that is that it doesn't look like any cflags or cxxflags took. I checked the compile logs, but the relevant info seems to come from:

Code:
livecd / # cat /var/db/pkg/sys-libs/glibc-2.3.5/CFLAGS
-march=i686 -pipe -O2 -O2 -O2


Code:
livecd / # cat /var/db/pkg/sys-devel/gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r2/CFLAGS
-march=i686 -pipe -O2


Here is the output of emerge --info
Code:
livecd / # emerge --info
Portage 2.0.51.19 (default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.4.3-20050110, glibc-2.3.5-r0, 2.6.11-gentoo-r3 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.11-gentoo-r3 i686 Celeron (Coppermine)
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
Python:              dev-lang/python-2.3.4-r1 [2.3.4 (#1, Mar 11 2005, 13:17:01)]
dev-lang/python:     2.3.4-r1
sys-apps/sandbox:    [Not Present]
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.59-r6, 2.13
sys-devel/automake:  1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.5, 1.4_p6, 1.6.3, 1.9.4
sys-devel/binutils:  2.15.92.0.2-r10
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.10-r4
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.8.1-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=i686 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=i686 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms strict userpriv usersandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirror.datapipe.net/gentoo http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ http://gentoo.seren.com/gentoo http://gentoo.chem.wisc.edu/gentoo/ http://cudlug.cudenver.edu/gentoo/ http://gentoo.mirrors.pair.com/ http://gentoo.ccccom.com http://gentoo.netnitco.net http://gentoo.llarian.net/"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/home/michael/.portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X alsa apm arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts crypt cups emboss encode foomaticdb fortran gdbm gif gnome gpm gtk gtk2 imlib ipv6 jpeg kde libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl pic png python qt quicktime readline sdl spell ssl tcpd truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts xml2 xmms xv zlib video_cards_i810 userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CBUILD, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY


My only thoughts are that -march=i686 might have nullified all my cflags and cxxflags (perhaps it is too outdated of a -march setting). Also, I used the "stage3-i686-2005.0" tarball. I just am curious to figure this out before I emerge -e system since my cpu is rather slow. I figure that it might be redundant to post make.conf, but if anyone needs to see it then I would be glad to post it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Posts: 3355
Location: Jackass! Development Labs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdf24 wrote:
First, thanks for the install method Bob. I've only noticed one thing (after step 7.2.5's rebuilding toolchain but before the emerge -e system) and that is that it doesn't look like any cflags or cxxflags took. I checked the compile logs, but the relevant info seems to come from:

Here is the output of emerge --info
Quote:
livecd / # emerge --info
Portage 2.0.51.19 (default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.4.3-20050110, glibc-2.3.5-r0, 2.6.11-gentoo-r3 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.11-gentoo-r3 i686 Celeron (Coppermine)
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
Python: dev-lang/python-2.3.4-r1 [2.3.4 (#1, Mar 11 2005, 13:17:01)]
dev-lang/python: 2.3.4-r1
sys-apps/sandbox: [Not Present]
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.59-r6, 2.13
sys-devel/automake: 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.5, 1.4_p6, 1.6.3, 1.9.4
sys-devel/binutils: 2.15.92.0.2-r10
sys-devel/libtool: 1.5.10-r4
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.8.1-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=i686 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=i686 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms strict userpriv usersandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirror.datapipe.net/gentoo http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ http://gentoo.seren.com/gentoo http://gentoo.chem.wisc.edu/gentoo/ http://cudlug.cudenver.edu/gentoo/ http://gentoo.mirrors.pair.com/ http://gentoo.ccccom.com http://gentoo.netnitco.net http://gentoo.llarian.net/"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/home/michael/.portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X alsa apm arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts crypt cups emboss encode foomaticdb fortran gdbm gif gnome gpm gtk gtk2 imlib ipv6 jpeg kde libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl pic png python qt quicktime readline sdl spell ssl tcpd truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts xml2 xmms xv zlib video_cards_i810 userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset: ASFLAGS, CBUILD, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY


My only thoughts are that -march=i686 might have nullified all my cflags and cxxflags (perhaps it is too outdated of a -march setting). Also, I used the "stage3-i686-2005.0" tarball. I just am curious to figure this out before I emerge -e system since my cpu is rather slow. I figure that it might be redundant to post make.conf, but if anyone needs to see it then I would be glad to post it.


emerge info confirms that your flags are in effect. they may be being disabled on a per-package basis by the individual ebuilds.
_________________
.
Stage 1/3 | Jackass! | Rockhopper! | Thanks | Google Sucks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rd
n00b
n00b


Joined: 22 Jun 2005
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: this is probably simple, but outside of my skillset Reply with quote

hi! i've a passing familarity with linux, and this error is a bit beyond me. sorry, i like wading in over my head and learning. :oops:

i've a compaq tc1000 tablet, running a transmeta crusoe.
i'm stage3-i686-2005.0.tar.bz2
i ran into this on _emerge -e system_

thank you!

-hummingbird

Quote:
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:563: checking for gcc
configure:676: checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O3 -march=i686 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 falign-functions=0 -falign-jumps=0 -falign-loops=0 ) works
configure:692: gcc -o conftest -O3 -march=i686 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 falign-functions=0 -falign-jumps=0 -falign-loops=0 conftest.c 1>&5
gcc: falign-functions=0: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:

#line 687 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}


Quote:
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
Portage 2.0.51.19 (default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.4.3-20050110, glibc-2.3.5-r0, 2.6.11-gentoo-r3 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.11-gentoo-r3 i686 Transmeta(tm) Crusoe(tm) Processor TM5800
Python: dev-lang/python-2.3.5 [2.3.5 (#1, Jun 21 2005, 09:28:23)]
dev-lang/python: 2.3.5
sys-apps/sandbox: [Not Present]
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.59-r6, 2.13
sys-devel/automake: 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.5, 1.4_p6, 1.6.3, 1.9.5
sys-devel/binutils: 2.15.92.0.2-r10
sys-devel/libtool: [Not Present]
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.8.1-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=i686 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 falign-functions=0 -falign-jumps=0 -falign-loops=0"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=i686 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 falign-functions=0 -falign-jumps=0 -falign-loops=0 -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms strict userpriv usersandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://mirror.iawnet.sandia.gov/pub/gentoo/"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X alsa apm arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts crypt cups emboss encode foomaticdb fortran gdbm gif gnome gpm gtk gtk2 imlib ipv6 jpeg kde libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl png python qt quicktime readline sdl spell ssl tcpd truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts xml2 xmms xv zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset: ASFLAGS, CBUILD, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rdf24
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Posts: 5
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey rd, I'm just glancing at your emerge --info there and it looks like libtool isn't present. This is just a stab in the dark here, but why not try emerging libtool and try again? Seems kind of odd that it isn't installed, you are using the same tarball as me and it was installed on mine. Anyways try that, if that doesn't work then maybe someone else will be able to help you :).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
taipan67
l33t
l33t


Joined: 04 Dec 2004
Posts: 866
Location: England (i'm told...)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: this is probably simple, but outside of my skillset Reply with quote

rd wrote:
Code:
gcc: falign-functions=0: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:

#line 687 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}

Shouldn't 'falign-functions=0' have a hyphen at the front, like the other flags...?
_________________
"Anyone who goes to see a psychiatrist should have their head examined!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum