Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Stage 1/3 Installation Support - 2005.0 & GCC 3.4.3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rutski89
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... is a fix for this simply to emerge gcc-3.4.4 for the first time, and then do "emerge -e system && emerge -e world" and THEN AFTER all that you do emerge -P gcc? Will this automatcially link python and everything else against /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4 ? Does gcc-config have to be done before or after the world and system emerges? The lib in /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4 is libstdc++.so.6, is it OK that its not so.5? This will add another emerge -e system and emerge -e world to Bob P's guide :? That means that if glibc with nptl is compiled 2x times when you run "emerge glibc" then glibc will now be compiled total of 8 times thoughout the guid :roll:
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naveg wrote:
those reasons arent too strong, as both of my problems had very simple solutions.

i never said that the solutions were complicated. its just that your problems are unsupported. :wink:

one thing that is useful to bear in mind is that this thread is designed to provide Official Support for the Stage 1/3 Installation Guide v. 2005.0, which uses GCC 3.4.3. its scope is limited to 2005.0 and GCC 3.4.3.

GCC 3.4.4 is a completely different animal, and any experienced Gentoo users should expect that as @moocha pointed out, it is going to behave differently -- its the norm to expect that any Gentoo upgrade may not function as an exact drop-in replacment for something that came before it -- that is the price that you have to pay if you want to use a bleeding-edge distribution like Gentoo.

just as installing GCC 3.4.4 involves a significant deviation from the Guide, installing from Knoppix involves a significant deviation from the Guide. the solutions may be simple enough to implement, but they're beyond the scope of the Stage 1/3 Installation Guide for 2005.0 and GCC 3.4.3, and hence they are unsupported.

if you're attempting to install GCC 3.4.4, or if you're attempting to install from Knoppix, then you're not following the Guide. if that's the case, then you're looking in the wrong place for support. if you're interested in adapting the Stage 1/3 Guide to work with GCC 3.4.4, then you should look here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-345229.html

just as the original Stage 1/3 Installation Guide for 2004.3 and GCC 3.4.3 had to be extensively rewritten to support the release of Gentoo 2005.0, it looks like the Guide will have to be extensively rewritten to support GCC 3.4.4. unfortunately, the solution is not as simple as just changing the existing Guide to add support for GCC 3.4.4, as doing so would render it incompatible with GCC 3.4.3 -- and all of the information that has been stored in 20+ pages of this support thread would become invalid.

in order to keep this Support Thread on-track, everyone would appreciate it if the topics in this thread are limited to those that actually pertain to the Stage 1/3 Guide for 2005.0 and GCC 3.4.3. this allows the people who are dedicating their free time to offer support not to have to wade through irrelvant material. it also allows thousands of users who are looking for support information not to have to wade through irrelevant material. keeping the support threads on-track is good for everyone. although alternative installation methods are available, posting problems and solutions about them into this thread doesn't help the people who are trying to follow the Guide. it only serves to clutter up the thread with irrelevant information.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those who are looking for support, here's the bottom line: GCC 3.4.3 is currently stable enough for use with a Stage 1/3 Install, while GCC 3.4.4 is not. there are still a number of unresolved issues with GCC 3.4.4 that complicate its use in a Stage 1/3 Install.

:arrow: If you want to perform a reliable install, I recommend the Stage 1/3 Guide for GCC 3.4.3.

:arrow: If you're willing to live on the bleeding edge and to help to blaze the trail, check out the experimental Stage 1/3 Guide for GCC 3.4.4.
quanttrom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: GCC 3.4.4 Reply with quote

I'll tell u how the install goes using your new guide for GCC 3.4.4....I started out doing my own modifications to the guide but it seems like so far they are identical..
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

given the recent problems with Portage updates relating to GCC, I thiink you should post one of your "infamous warnings" ;-) on the opening page about gcc. It would also be helpful if you posted the link to one of the threads relating to that. I'm surprised that this thread hasn't been flooded by this issue.
For those unaware, I'm refering to the dreadful libstdc++.so.5 or libstdc++.so.6 not found errors.
I think the following threads can be helpful on this issue:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-345446.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-345046-highlight-libstdc.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-336444-highlight-.html
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the suggestion, Jim. and thanks for the links! :wink:

i've modified the masking atoms in the Stage 1/3 Guide for 2005.0 and GCC 3.4.3 so that instead of emerging the latest version of GCC in the testing branch, portage will emerge the specific version of GCC that is referenced in the Guide. this means that if you follow the Stage 1/3 Guide for GCC 3.4.3 and 2005.0, you will only get GCC 3.4.3, and the Guide itself and the Support Thread will both remain relevant for GCC 3.4.3. from a practical standpoint, this eliminates the GCC 3.4.4 bugs that were happening when the Guide was configured to emerge the most recent version of GCC, without regard to version number.

the way that the Stage 1/3 Guide is written now, the user will only get the desired version of GCC that is specifically intended by that version of the Stage 1/3 Guide. i think that this will markedly simplify the problem -- now the Guide for 3.4.3 will have its own Installation Thread and its own Support Thread, and the Guide for 3.4.4 will have its own Installation Thread and its own Support Thread. the problems that are unique to each version of GCC will be confined to their own threads. that should simplify things ALOT.
ub3rg00b3r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: very reproducable error.. heh Reply with quote

Ok, lets see here, brand new computer. Pentium 4 3Ghz 3E, 512MB of RAM thoroughly tested(by myself). An ASUS P4P800-SE Motherboard, and a Seagate 120GB hd, which has been zero filled after the first time of the error and tested for bad blocks.

Now on to the error, I follow the guide by the book, only changing
Code:
sys-devel/gcc ~x86
to
Code:
~sys-devel/gcc-3.4.3.20050110 ~x86
because if not it emerges 3.4.4, now everything works spiffy until I get to the first emerge -e system, then I get the odd "gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error" on certain packages, no specific pattern, and usually an "emerge --resume" continues it, but this cannot be good... any help appreciated.

CFLAGS="-O3 -march=prescott -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"

Also, I have redone this about 3-4 times now with the same thing.

T+1 Hour

I re-emerged zlib then gzip, and im redoing emerge -e system... lets see how it goes.
tommoyer324
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: In response to gcc 3.4.4 and libstdc++.so.5 Reply with quote

To get around this problem all I did was before I did emerge -P gcc was when I emerged the toolchain the first time to get 3.4.4 using 3.3.5 I added the package libstdc++-v3 to the list and then everything worked out.
shinewu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question.
Can OP do a
"ls -l /etc/make.profile"
I remember to use gcc 3.4, it is recommended to link :
/etc/make.profile -> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2004.2/gcc34
because of some bugs in sse related codes in 3.4 series.
Is it still so? Or we can just skip to 2005.1.
/etc/make.profile -> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.1
ub3rg00b3r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still cant seem to fix it, not the hardware... FreeBSD works perfectly. I would like to get this working :\
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ub3rg00b3r wrote:
Still cant seem to fix it, not the hardware... FreeBSD works perfectly. I would like to get this working :\
I see that your getting errors with gcc-3.4.4 (understandable), but what errors are you getting with gcc-3.4.3-20050110? If you said it already it was a little unclear.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: In response to gcc 3.4.4 and libstdc++.so.5 Reply with quote

tommoyer324 wrote:
To get around this problem all I did was before I did emerge -P gcc was when I emerged the toolchain the first time to get 3.4.4 using 3.3.5 I added the package libstdc++-v3 to the list and then everything worked out.

that's exactly the procedure that's listed in the GCC 3.4.4 version of the Guide. :!:

would you guys PLEASE move all of your GCC 3.4.4 related discussions to that thread?
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2472891.html#2472891
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the advent of GCC 3.4.4, alot of people are getting confused about where to post:

For GCC 3.4.4

:arrow: If you want GCC 3.4.4, then YOU ARE IN THE WRONG PLACE. :oops: instead, you should use this version of the Stage 1/3 Guide for 2005.0 and GCC 3.4.4:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-345229.html

:arrow: If you run into problems and need support, then post to the GCC 3.4.4 Support Thread:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2472891.html#2472891

If you are using GCC 3.4.4, PLEASE DO NOT POST TO THIS THREAD!

For GCC 3.4.3

:arrow: If you want GCC 3.43, then you are in the right place. :wink: use this version of the Stage 1/3 Guide for 2005.0 and GCC 3.4.3.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-319349.html

:arrow: If you are using GCC 3.4.3 and you need support, then post to the GCC 3.4.3 Support Thread:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2240059.html

If you are using GCC 3.4.3, then POST SUPPORT REQUESTS TO THIS THREAD!

thanks. :)

Last edited by Bob P on Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited to hide Bob's shame. :P

Last edited by Sith_Happens on Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:53 am; edited 2 times in total
magnumPI
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok this is pretty much my first install of any kind of linux. I work as a computer science intern at my company. Since I'm pretty good at windows troubleshooting, they wanted me to created a dual bootable linux/windows xp system, so i started following the documentation on the gentoo website. I figured this would be a learning experience. Instead of using fdisk, i used partition magic to create a 100MB unallocated partition inside the 1024 cylinder boundary for the boot, and 12GB unallocated partition for swap and linux.
1. I booted the computer from the cdrom.
2. gentoo's livecd command line showed up (i burned the universal iso image disk). I followed instructions by checking the date, and changing over to the /mnt/gentoo directory.
3. I followed the instructions for loading the snapshots...a bunch of the loadable files were listed, then the error occurred. It said there was no more space on the disk.

since i'm not much of a linux/bash buff, I think i may need more info on how to install gentoo. Did i manage the partitions wrong? Did i not mount something? any kind of help will do. I just want to learn how to install and use linux.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magnumPI wrote:
ok this is pretty much my first install of any kind of linux. I work as a computer science intern at my company. Since I'm pretty good at windows troubleshooting, they wanted me to created a dual bootable linux/windows xp system, so i started following the documentation on the gentoo website. I figured this would be a learning experience. Instead of using fdisk, i used partition magic to create a 100MB unallocated partition inside the 1024 cylinder boundary for the boot, and 12GB unallocated partition for swap and linux.
1. I booted the computer from the cdrom.
2. gentoo's livecd command line showed up (i burned the universal iso image disk). I followed instructions by checking the date, and changing over to the /mnt/gentoo directory.
3. I followed the instructions for loading the snapshots...a bunch of the loadable files were listed, then the error occurred. It said there was no more space on the disk.

since i'm not much of a linux/bash buff, I think i may need more info on how to install gentoo. Did i manage the partitions wrong? Did i not mount something? any kind of help will do. I just want to learn how to install and use linux.
Create a new post in the Installing Gentoo forum. This is a support thread for a specific Gentoo Install meathod, and is not the place for general Gentoo installation questions. I'd be happy to help out a fellow n00b :wink: , but not in this thread.
ub3rg00b3r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe im not good at wording things... what I said, was that I was having all those problems with 3.4.3, I just made it clear that I had done that part right with the versioning, during the first emerge -e system and sometimes before I get random gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc errors which are fixable by an emerge --resume, not a bad checksum... and no pattern whatsoever... better? heh
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
Some typos here Bob, this is the Stage 1/3 GCC 3.4.3 thread. :P

aargh. trying to juggle too many threads ... when i wrote the last half of that message i thought i was posting to the HowTo thread. i've fixed my post, so if you could edit your comment to remove my goof, that might help to keep people from getting confused. :oops:
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ub3rg00b3r wrote:
maybe im not good at wording things... what I said, was that I was having all those problems with 3.4.3, I just made it clear that I had done that part right with the versioning, during the first emerge -e system and sometimes before I get random gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc errors which are fixable by an emerge --resume, not a bad checksum... and no pattern whatsoever... better? heh
This is a weird one, I haven't heard of anything like this happening, so I'm not sure where to start in troubleshooting your problem (except by re-emerging gzip and zlib, which you've already done). Perhaps if you could post an actual error message in context, I could get a better idea of whats going on. Always happy to help out a fellow dead-head. 8)
Naveg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this on boot up:

/sbin/rc: line 250: rc_splash: command not found
* Filesystem couldn't be fixed
ub3rg00b3r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok sith, im gonna do some diagnostics on it... im convinced its hardware... figures, all new parts. If diagnostics report clean, then I'll retry the install, and ill show you the error output.. though it is not much to see, on any given ebuild, it will get to ">>> Unpacking source..." and then gives me a "gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error" <--- which is the exact error, then the only part I cant remember word for word is the whole !!!!ERROR!!!! thing after that, from portage... which is moreless generic, but if I emerge that same package again, right after, it works.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is really wierd. have you tried running memtest on the live CD? another thing to consider is configuration of your new hardware. Gentoo is very unforgiving of things like overclocking of not only the CPU, but also the FSB, etc. its possible that if you're using new hardware, you have something configured improperly (timing issues, etc.) and this is what's causing your errors. if that's the case, you'll see all sorts of segfaults when its time to comple. GCC is merciless about overclocking any of your components. don't do it.
ub3rg00b3r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, ran memtest after the first problem, and I had checked and doublechecked the BIOS settings there as well :/ No overclocking.
torchZ06
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: very reproducable error.. heh Reply with quote

ub3rg00b3r wrote:
Ok, lets see here, brand new computer. Pentium 4 3Ghz 3E, 512MB of RAM thoroughly tested(by myself).

just a thought, but i had a new machine (3.2P4northwood, ic7-g, 1GB mushkin 3500L2) that experienced intermittent compile errors. memtest would show some errors sometimes, none at other times. sent the ram back to newegg, got new and it did the same thing. found a thread on mushkin's support board that said sometimes that ram needed a bit more voltage. i looked in the bios and the RAM voltage was set right at the JDEC spec of (IIRC) 1.6v. well i increased it in the smallest increment which was to 1.65v and the problems magically DISAPPEARED!

mind that i was not overclocking or running crazy timings--

might not be your problem, but FWIW...

good luck
ub3rg00b3r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, thanks for the tip... First, I replaced the CD-ROM drive... just in case(Murphys Law). I ran `SeaTools` on the hard drive, (SeaTools is made by my hard drive manufacturer; SeaGate) ran CheckIt! on the motherboard and CPU, numerous times. After all that, I booted the livecd, which I had verified the checksum on the file after I downloaded it, and then the cd I burnt; both turned out good. Then I ran Memtest86 through about 3 times, all passes. I rebooted, went through the setup to the damn letter, right now its doing my one-liner of a few of the steps in the install(second emerge of the toolchain, then the emerge -e system twice) if its going to mess up, it will probably be in one of the emerge -e system's. In the case of it b0rking, I will submit the error message, if not... ill give your tip a try, see how that goes. Either way, ill get back to you guys. Thanks for the help.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 21 of 24

Jump to: