Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Stage 1/3 Installation Support - 2005.0 & GCC 3.4.3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

houmie wrote:
Hello Bob P,

Thank you for the excellent guide. I have a problem with Stage 1 though.

After the code:
emerge gcc-config glibc binutils gcc and hell load of time, doing and downloading, it says:

Can someone help me with that please?

BTW how Do I paste into LINKS2 internet text browser? Its such a pain to type all these error messages. :o(

Thanks
Houmie

i've got the same error, but i think u mean stage 3 though?

pasting goes with shift-insert, but i don't know how to copy to the cash.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sade wrote:
houmie wrote:
Hello Bob P,

Thank you for the excellent guide. I have a problem with Stage 1 though.

After the code:
emerge gcc-config glibc binutils gcc and hell load of time, doing and downloading, it says:

Can someone help me with that please?

BTW how Do I paste into LINKS2 internet text browser? Its such a pain to type all these error messages. :o(

Thanks
Houmie

i've got the same error, but i think u mean stage 3 though?

pasting goes with shift-insert, but i don't know how to copy to the cash.
With gpm (the console mouse driver) using the middle mouse button copies.
houmie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by houmie on Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheops05
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting exactly the same problems as above at the moment this is a major problem also when I df I get allsorts of problems with disks
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

houmie wrote:
Damn it. Its not working, what ever I try. I went through it again and no chance. I meant Stage 1 (one) not 3 btw. I am trying to bootstrap with the newest gcc though...

BTW the middle mouse button is coping and pasting right away at the same time. Kind of weird. At the beginning I could mark a like, press enter to copy it and paste it with right mouse button. Right now I can't do that anymore. The right click just highlights everything.

Within the links2 internet text browser, I can't paste anything. It is so inefficient.
Wait, are people having this problem with the stage 1/3 install or with a regular stage 1 install? Unless this problem is occuring during a stage 1/3 install using the 2005.0 profile, then this isn't the correct thread for these problems.
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
Wait, are people having this problem with the stage 1/3 install or with a regular stage 1 install? Unless this problem is occuring during a stage 1/3 install using the 2005.0 profile, then this isn't the correct thread for these problems.

i'm getting the errors with the 1/3 install (from this thread)
cheops05
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i am also getting the same problem from using this howto.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheops05 wrote:
Yes i am also getting the same problem from using this howto.
Allright well I'll rebuild glibc with the latest stages, portage tree, and simply "nptl" in my useflags, and see if I can reproduce your problem on my P4.

Last edited by Sith_Happens on Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sade wrote:
i'm new to this, but i believe that the oneliners in chapter 7.2.5 are wrong, because of the linux26-headers in 2005.0
correct me if i'm wrong.

thanks for the heads-up. i appreciate you letting me know about typos, and i'm hoping that the intro to the guide was clear enough to help you avoid any potential problems:

Intro to Stage 1/3 Guide for 2005.0 wrote:
There are really only two significant differences between 2005.0 and 2004.3, so in my opinion an updated Guide is not even necessary. Just take the following steps:

1. Don't unmerge the linux-headers and then emerge linux26-headers. 2005.0 already contains linux26-headers, so you can skip that step.

2. 2005.0 already contains udev, so you don't have to emerge udev when you build your world packages.

Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
No, your right. Looks like Bob P was just a little lazy with his copy and paste. :wink:

like i said, "quick and dirty" and "experimental". :oops:
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

houmie wrote:
Damn it. Its not working, what ever I try. I went through it again and no chance. I meant Stage 1 (one) not 3 btw. I am trying to bootstrap with the newest gcc though...

if you are trying to bootstrap, then you are performing a Stage 1 install and you are not following this Guide! STOP posting here, delete your posts, and repost them in another thread.

if you are using this Guide, then STOP referring to it as Stage 1, as you are confusing everyone!

if by some chance you are not familiar with the difference between Stage 1 and Stage 3 installs, and you're not sure why your syntax is driving us crazy, this Guide is definitely not recommended for you.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob check back to the stage 1/3 2004.3 support thread.
cheops05
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used your 2004.3 quide many times using this method of stage 1 install and I am getting the same error trying to compile the glibc anyone found any fixes for this?

Cheops05
LucaSpiller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying this in a chrooted enviroment, and get problems from the early stages; glibc fails to compile the first time. :x

(Edit: I guess this is the error noted in the previous post - note to self: read more than the first page)

Code:
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1/work/build-default-i686-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/posix/globtest.out] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1/work/glibc-2.3.4/posix'
make[1]: *** [posix/tests] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1/work/glibc-2.3.4'
make: *** [check] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1 failed.
!!! Function toolchain-glibc_src_test, Line 254, Exitcode 2
!!! linuxthreads glibc did not pass make check
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

After taking many hours to compile nearly 27,000 files. :evil:

Code:
fe04 / # emerge info
Portage 2.0.51.19 (default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.3.5, glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1, 2.6.11-nitro1 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.11-nitro1 i686
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
Python:              dev-lang/python-2.3.4-r1 [2.3.4 (#1, Mar 11 2005, 00:07:42)]
dev-lang/python:     2.3.4-r1
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.59-r6, 2.13
sys-devel/automake:  1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.5, 1.4_p6, 1.6.3, 1.9.4
sys-devel/binutils:  2.15.92.0.2-r1
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.10-r4
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.8.1-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-xp -mtune=athlon-xp -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.2/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/env /usr/kde/3.3/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-xp -mtune=athlon-xp -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distlocks maketest sandbox sfperms test userpriv usersandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo/ http://gentoo.mirror.sdv.frftp://ftp.rhnet.is/pub/gentoo/ http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.easynet.nl/mirror/gentoo/ http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo ftp://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo http://vlaai.snt.ipv6.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo/ ftp://vlaai.snt.ipv6.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo/ http://gentoo.tiscali.nl/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.tiscali.nl/pub/mirror/gentoo ftp://mirror.scarlet-internet.nl/pub/gentoo ftp://mirror.nutsmaas.nl/gentoo/ http://mir.zyrianes.net/gentoo/ ftp://mir.zyrianes.net/gentoo/"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.uk.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X acpi apm arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts crypt cups emboss encode foomaticdb fortran gdbm gif gnome gpm gtk gtk2 imlib ipv6 ithreads jpeg kde ldap libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl png pthreads python qt quicktime readline samba sdl spell ssl svga tcpd truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts xml2 xmms xv zlib linguas_en_GB"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CBUILD, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS

I suppose a few people could call my C-flags a bit OTT, but I managed to follow the original guide fine. :?

----

A bit of research found bug #85782, which seems simular to mine. My posix/globtest.out is slightly different though:
Code:
--- -   2005-03-28 18:58:49.338648000 +0100
+++ /tmp/globtest-out   2005-03-28 18:58:49.000000000 +0100
@@ -1 +1 @@
-/var/tmp/portage
+GLOB_NOMATCH
Tilde test failed
--- -   2005-03-28 18:58:49.352559000 +0100
@@ -1 +1 @@
-/var/tmp/portage/
+GLOB_NOMATCH
Tilde2 test failed
--- -   2005-03-28 18:58:49.358980000 +0100
@@ -1 +1 @@
-/var/tmp/portage
+GLOB_NOMATCH
Tilde3 test failed

It has +GLOB_NOMATCH instead of +root.

Last edited by LucaSpiller on Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
houmie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
houmie wrote:

if you are trying to bootstrap, then you are performing a Stage 1 install and you are not following this Guide! STOP posting here, delete your posts, and repost them in another thread.

if you are using this Guide, then STOP referring to it as Stage 1, as you are confusing everyone!

if by some chance you are not familiar with the difference between Stage 1 and Stage 3 installs, and you're not sure why your syntax is driving us crazy, this Guide is definitely not recommended for you.

I deleted all my posts. Thank you for your support.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheops05 wrote:
I have used your 2004.3 quide many times using this method of stage 1 install and I am getting the same error trying to compile the glibc anyone found any fixes for this?

Cheops05

man, you need to ease up a bit on your expectations for an immediate response and give us some time to try to replicate your problems. your post about the problem went up all of 1 hour, 11 minutes after your last request for a solution.

to keep this in perspective, it takes ALOT longer than that to replicate your problem. i started the toolkit rebuild 10 hours ago and i haven't seen your problem occur yet.

if you are having disk related problems, i think you need to reconsider the possible sources of the problem.
cheops05
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i'm forgetting i'm compiling on a pentium4 3.06 gig slap myself round the face and be a bit more patient
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucaSpiller wrote:
I suppose a few people could call my C-flags a bit OTT, but I managed to follow the original guide fine. :?

if you are having problems compiling glibc, i can offer two suggestions. i hope that they will help:

1. the original set of "insane" cflags listed in the guide were used in an example for intel architecture, and i can't say anything about using them on AMD. my personal recommendation would be that if anyone is having problems compiling, you should revert to the stable/recommended/minimal cflags in the guide and assure that the problem is replicated with the conservative set of cflags before asking for help.

2. failure to compile glibc is not related in any way to a defect in the Guide. it is a problem that crops up intermittently when you're working with an experimental ebuild that has problems. this is just a fact of life in the testing branch. if you are having problems with the current version of glibc, then look at bugzilla for existing bug reports. if there is not an existing bug report, then file one. your best bet would probably be to mask the offensive ebuild and try again with one that is not presently in a state of revision.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheops05 wrote:
sorry, i'm forgetting i'm compiling on a pentium4 3.06 gig slap myself round the face and be a bit more patient
I'm currently trying to replicate your problems on a pentium 4 3.0 ghz, so I should be able to get the job soon. :wink: In the meantime here is the output of emerge info for test install:
Code:
Portage 2.0.51.19 (default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.3.5, glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1, 2.6.11-love2 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.11-love2 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
Python:              dev-lang/python-2.3.4-r1 [2.3.4 (#1, Mar 11 2005, 13:17:01)]
dev-lang/python:     2.3.4-r1
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.59-r6, 2.13
sys-devel/automake:  1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.5, 1.4_p6, 1.6.3, 1.9.4
sys-devel/binutils:  2.15.92.0.2-r1
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.10-r4
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.8.1-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.llarian.net"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X apm arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts crypt cups emboss encode foomaticdb fortran gdbm gif gnome gpm gtk gtk2 imlib ipv6 jpeg kde libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl png python qt quicktime readline sdl spell ssl svga tcpd truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts xml2 xmms xv zlib"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CBUILD, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY
And here is the make.conf (it's stripped down to only the essentials for this stage of the install):
Code:
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built this stage
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.llarian.net"
USE="nptl"

Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
I'm currently trying to replicate your problems on a pentium 4 3.0 ghz, so I should be able to get the job soon. :wink:

young whippersnapper! :?
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
Sith_Happens wrote:
I'm currently trying to replicate your problems on a pentium 4 3.0 ghz, so I should be able to get the job soon. :wink:

young whippersnapper! :?
Ha..:lol:
An update on that I've just finished rebuilding the glibc with the 2005.0 i686 stage 3 tarball, so cheops05, your problem probably lies either in your make.conf, or in the commands you used to rebuild the toolchain. Why don't you post both and we'll see whats up. :)
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, tell me ... how long does it take to compile glibc on a 3.0 GHz P4? inquiring minds want to know!
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recompiled gcc-config (that one doesn't really count :wink: ), glibc, binutils, and gcc in under 2 hours. 8)
grx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple questions--forgive me for being a n00b...:D

Why not do this type of install from the Universal CD with it's stage 3 tarball instead of using the minimal CD?

And is there a reason this install method uses ReiserFS, or when you're putting the filesystem on should it be more of a <place your favorite fs here> step?
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grx wrote:
I have a couple questions--forgive me for being a n00b...:D

Why not do this type of install from the Universal CD with it's stage 3 tarball instead of using the minimal CD?

And is there a reason this install method uses ReiserFS, or when you're putting the filesystem on should it be more of a <place your favorite fs here> step?
If you want to you can do this install from a Universal CD. The only reason for not using it is that it's a big download, and you really only need a snapshot, a stage 3 tarball, and a minimal cd. I can't speak for Bob, but I too would recommend ReiserFS (3.6 not 4) as a fast and stable filesystem. However, if you want to use another filesystem, go ahead (again not speaking for Bob P). You shouldn't run into any problems, and you won't have to deviate from the guide enough to obviate at least my support if you run into any problems. :)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 2 of 24

Jump to: