Nokia 7650 and bluetooth
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Nokia 7650 and bluetooth Reply with quote

Im trying to connect my Nokia 7650 to my Gentoo system, using the bluetooth protocol. Ive got a Nokia 7650 of course, with bluetooth enabled and a MSI USB bluetooth dongle. Ive got the needed kernel stuff, and the needed ebuilds installed - and I can of course discover my Nokia 7650 from Gentoo:

Code:

# hcitool scan
Scanning ...
        00:02:EE:9F:3F:76       Nokia 7650

And I can also find the USB dongle when searching from my Nokia 7650. Then the big question: What now? Better yet, perhaps I should say what I want: Ideally I want the phone mounted on /mnt/nokia for example, however this is unlikely to be possible.

I want a way to access the files on the phone, and perhaps most importantly to be able to copy the pictures taken with the phone to my Gentoo system.

Ive searched high and low, and all I can find is how to dial an ISP etc but I dont need any of that stuff. Ive also found an app called p3nfsd from http://www.ki-ag.de/html/tech/p3nfs.html - but erm excuse me for saying, but this program isnt intuitive imo. It VERY clearly says several places to do:

Code:

./p3nfsd -blue <device-id> <channel>

The only problem is, you cant specify a -blue arguement because it doesnt recognize that at all..so this kind of leaves me in a duh-state :-/ In fact, the documentation for this program is so crap and mis-informing, that it leaves alot to be desired. Perhaps the documentaton have never been updated, what do I know. Yeah yeah free software, I know blah blah. Im sorry for ranting about now, but I am mildly enraged over spending hours trying to get something working which should be quite simple.

Anyone care to help a poor soul, so I can perhaps save some of my hair before I pull it all out?
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after some more digging, the p3nfs package depends on a deprecated implementation of librfcomm. It has now been integrated into the kernel, and thus the p3nfs package doesnt work "out-of-the-box" on Gentoo.

But a new release will probably implement the new design, and make this possible again. And the reason p3nfs didnt recognized the -blue arguement, was because the configure script didnt find librfcomm and thus didnt compile it with bluetooth support *cry*

Ok, mystery solved so far at least - for anyone trying the same. As soon as p3nfs is released in a new version, I will write an ebuild and submit it to portage.
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solution for those who are interested: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=45215

Cheers!
apyh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: what other brands? Reply with quote

What other brands of usb bluetooth dongels are ppl using besides MSI?

Do the D-Link, Koutech, or EPOX ones work as well?
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends entirely on the chipset the dogle uses I guess. Try to find out what chipset these are using, and see if its the same as the MSi version. blues.sf.net lists supported chipsets.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: