FreeBSD /etc/periodic port to gentoo thought
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plastix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: FreeBSD /etc/periodic port to gentoo thought Reply with quote

I had FreeBSD runnig for awhile on my main router/gateway before I removed it and installed gentoo(Better dual proc support at the time). Since then, I have consistently been sad that I haven't been getting my periodic daily/weekly/monthly reports in my mailbox about the status of the system. So instead of being sad, I have started to actually write a script to do what the FreeBSD periodic.conf setup does. But in doing this, I thought, "Hey, why not just download an ISO of the FreeBSD Operating System, copy /etc/periodic from FreeBSD to Gentoo's /etc and work on porting /usr/sbin/periodic over to gentoo?". Would anybody be interested in a port of this? Would there be any ethical problems with including FreeBSD shell scripts in a Linux distro, even if the code needs to be (possibly heavily) modified? I am not trying to cause a flame war, and if such a system already exists, please feel free to point me in the proper direction.
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find it hard to belive such a system doesnt exist for linux, i'm no layer but mu understanding with the bsd licence is you can pretty much do whatever you wish withit as microsoft proved . open source is open source and this type of thing shows why it is good, i doubt anyone would object but i would look about for existing projects first.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: