Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
packages do not respect C(XX)FLAGS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: packages do not respect C(XX)FLAGS Reply with quote

Some packages do not use the flags specified in /etc/make.conf

One very painful example is QT - We all rely on having it fully optimised, but unfortunately it is not the case with the Gentoo ebuild. QT uses qmake (I am not familiar how it works) and ignores anything the ebuild specifies. Can a patch be created to go around this problem?

Also. In GCC if one specifies -O2 -O3 it will accept the latter one. And usually the C(XX)FLAGS in make.conf go in the beginning, so the decision the user has made is just ignored. Usually a Makefile would set CXXFLAGS=$CXXFLAGS (something else), instead of CXXFLAGS=(something else) $CXXFLAGS, which should be the proper way.

Even -march=i686 -march=i486 will use the latter directive. Should there be a revision of all the ebuilds so proper configuration is added?

Many of you think all your packages are fully optimized, but that is certainly not true.

Thank you
huw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO if ./configure --host=${CHOST} doesn't configure the Makefile properly, it's more likely a problem that the author needs to deal with and perhaps they should be informed that there might be an error in their configure script. I wonder how many packages this affects??
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: