Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Fiordland Stage 1 Install Guide Ver. 1.0 (deprecated)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warrens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Fiordland Stage 1 Install Guide Ver. 1.0 (deprecated) Reply with quote

Fiordland Stage 1 Install Guide, ver 1.0
~x86 With NPTL and GCC 3.4.x
Building Gentoo Linux From Scratch Style

Since the Gentoo Documentation team has deprecated Stage 1 and 2 there has been somewhat of an uproar in the Gentoo community. As I followed this I did some research on what is done in bootstrap.sh and discovered that the tool chain is not properly built. While it works fairly well it seems to me to that it could be done better, so the reason for this guide. We will build Gentoo from the ground up using the portage tools to build the system in the same manor as �Linux From Scratch�, hereafter referred to as LFS. This will give us a properly built tool chain for a good foundation for the rest of our system.

WARNING: This is an advanced install method for advanced users. This method use the ~x86 branch, so be aware that you could run into some broken packages.
THIS IS NOT A GENTOO SUPPORTED INSTALL, SO DO NOT
BOTHER THE DEVELOPERS WITH ANY PROBLEMS ENCOUTERED
WHILE FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE.

This Install is based upon a Stage 1 tarball, though a Stage 2 or Stage 3 tarball can be used. The main reason for using a Stage 1 tarball is that it provides a minimal installation environment for building our system, which should give us a cleaner environment in which to build the tool chain. During the installation bootstrap.sh will NOT be used, instead we will emerge the system following as closely as portage allows chapter 5 & 6 of the Linux From Scratch book to build the base system. There some dependency requirements in portage that will require some changes in the build process, but these are minor.

First thing we need to do is get either the Gentoo Minimal Installation CD or the Gentoo Universal Installation CD from http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/x86/2005.1/installcd, and then burn it to a CD. My recommendation is to use the Minimal CD as it is a smaller download. Use this CD to boot your computer.

1 Setup the network.

First thing to check is that your NIC is setup correctly.

First try ifconfig

Code:
ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0D:56:32:6B:31
          inet addr:192.168.1.6  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::20d:56ff:fe32:6b31/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:534293 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:907104 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:364028765 (347.1 Mb)  TX bytes:116194376 (110.8 Mb)
          Interrupt:11

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

If you have a listing like above, then your good to go. If not, then run the net-setup utility. You may have to modprobe the driver for you NIC to get networking to work.

Now ping www.google.com. If it works, then we are ready to proceed to the next step.

2 Prepare your hard disk.

Now to partition the hard disk. Use fdisk or cfdisk for this. I would recommend the following partition layout for a Linux only workstation:

Code:
/dev/hda1  /boot
/dev/hda2 /
/dev/hda3 /home
/dev/hda4 swap

However partition your hard disk to best meet your needs if this layout does not.

Now format your filesystems:

Code:
mkreiserfs /dev/hda1
mkreiserfs /dev/hda2
mkreiserfs /dev/hda3

Do this for each of your partitions.

Mount the filesystems:

Code:
mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/gentoo
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot

We do not need to mount the /home partition at this time.

3 Install Stage 1 and portage.

Now enter the Gentoo partition:

Code:
cd /mnt/gentoo

Now we are ready to download our stage tarball.

Code:
wget http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/x86/2005.1-r1/stages/x86/stage1-x86-2005.1-r1.tar.bz2

also download

Code:
wget http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/x86/2005.1-r1/stages/x86/stage1-x86-2005.1-r1.tar.bz2.md5

Now check the integrity of our download:

Code:
md5sum -c stage1-x86-2005.1-r1.tar.bz2.md5

Unpack the Stage 1 tarball:

Code:
tar xvjpf stage1-x86-2005.1-r1.tar.bz2

Download a portage snapshot:

Code:
wget http://gentoo.osuosl.org/snapshots/portage-latest.tar.bz2

Unpack Portage

Code:
tar xvjf /mnt/gentoo/portage-latest.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/gentoo/usr

Now to configure the /etc/make.conf file. Here is the listing for the first part of the build:

Code:
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CXXFLAGS=${CFLAGS}
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PORTAGE_NICENESS=3
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
FEATURES="distlocks sandbox userpriv usersandbox"
USE="nptl"

The first part of the build uses gcc-3.3.5 which is part of the Stage 1 tarball, so we need to use the more mild CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS to build with. After we finish the first part of the build we will change the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS to what we will use to build the system with. Set the -march flag to match your arch.

4 Chrooting.

First copy the dns info.

Code:
cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf

Mount proc.

Code:
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc

Mount /dev

Code:
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev

copy /proc/mounts

Code:
cp /proc/mounts /mnt/gentoo/etc/mtab

Chroot into our build environment.

Code:
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update
source /etc/profile

5 Set the date and time.

Now set the correct time as this is important to our build. We can't set the time zone symlink at this time a zone info is not part of the Stage 1 tarball. We will set the symlink later. The format of the date command is MMDDHHMMYYYY, where MM is the month, DD is the day, HHMM is the time, and YYYY is the year. For November 30, 2005, 11:45 AM:

Code:
date 113011452005

6 Update the portage tree

Code:
emerge --sync

7 Setup user locales (optional)

Place the following in you /etc/portage/packages.use

Code:
sys-libs/glibc userlocales
sys-devel/libperl ithreads
dev-lang/perl ithreads

Then create /etc/locales.build in your favorite editor and list the locales relavent to you location. Since I live in the USA I use the following in my /etc/locales.build:

Code:
en_US/ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8

Steps 8 and 9 replace bootstrap.sh.

8 Start building The system.

8.1 LFS chap. 5, part 1

The build order according to LFS is: binutils, gcc, linux-headers, and the glibc. So here is our firs build packages:

Code:
emerge --nodeps binutils gcc-config libstdc++-v3 gcc

While we would adjust the tool chain after emerging linux-headers and glibc to avoid some possible nastiness with linux-headers we will make gcc-3.4.4 our default compiler now.

Code:
gcc-config -l
[1] i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-20050130 *
 [2] i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-20050130-hardened
 [3] i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-20050130-hardenednopie
 [4] i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-20050130-hardenednopiessp
 [5] i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-20050130-hardenednossp
 [6] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.4
 [7] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.4-hardened
 [8] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.4-hardenednopie
 [9] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.4-hardenednopiessp
 [10] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.4-hardenednossp

gcc-config 6
env-update
source /etc/profile

Let's install linux-headers and build glibc against the new linux-headers

Code:
emerge --nodeps linux-headers glibc

8.2 LFS chap. 5 part 2

Now we are ready for the second part of our build were we will recompile the tool chain against itself and add other tools to the system.

Before we start the next phase of building we will change our /etc/make.conf file to reflect how we want our system:

Code:
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium4 -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PORTAGE_NICENESS=3
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
USE="nptl -X -tk"

The reason for the -X and -tk flags is that they are enabled by default, and break the next step of our build.

The next step is to complete LFS Chapter 5 portion of our install. LFS builds the following packages: tcl, expect, dejagnu, gcc, binutils, gawk, bzip2, gzip, diffutils, findutils, make, grep, sed, gettext, gpm, ncurses, patch, tar, texinfo, bash, m4, bison, flex, util-linux, and perl.

This part will take a while to complete, so it may make a good time to go to Starbucks for some expesso.

Code:
emerge --nodeps tcl =sys-devel/autoconf-2.13 autoconf autoconf-wrapper automake expect dejagnu gcc binutils gawk bzip2 gzip diffutils findutils make grep sed gettext gpm ncurses patch tar sys-apps/texinfo bash bash-completion m4 bison flex util-linux gdbm perl

If you are wondering about sys-apps/texinfo in the listing, it is that there are two ebuilds by this name at this time. They are:
app-xemacs/texinfo
sys-apps/texinfo
Autoconf-2.13 is a must have dependency of expect. Gpm is a must have dependency of ncurses.

Since we are not building Xorg at this time we need to specify sys-apps/texinfo for portage to know which texinfo to build.

9. Emerge the LFS chap. 6 packages.

Now acording to LFS Chapter 6 we would build linux-headers, man-pages, glibc, binutils, gcc, coreutils, zlib, mktemp, iana-etc, findutils, gawk ncurses, readline, vim, m4, bison, less, groff, sed, flex, gettext, inetutils, iproute, perl, texinfo, autoconf, automake, bash, file, libtool, bzip2, diffutils, kbd, e2fsprogs, grep, grub, gzip, hotplug, man, make, module-init-tools, patch, procps, psmisc, shadow, sysklogd, sysvinit, tar, udev, and util-linux.

Before we emerge the next list of packages we need to remove gcc-3.3.6.

Code:
emerge -P gcc

Start the emerge.

Code:
emerge -e linux-headers man-pages glibc binutils gcc coreutils zlib findutils gawk ncurses sys-libs/readline vim m4 bison less groff sed flex gettext perl sys-apps/texinfo autoconf automake bash file libtool bzip2 diffutils kbd reiserfsprogs grep lilo gzip hotplug coldplug man make module-init-tools patch procps psmisc shadow sysklogd sysvinit tar udev util-linux

Mktemp, iana-etc, and inetutils appear not to be in portage, so they are not part of the merge. Since I prefer lilo to grub I replaced grub with lilo in the emerge list. If you prefer to use grub go ahead and build grub. Make sure that you use the empty tree option when you emerge these packages so that all dependencies will be pulled in.
At this point you can edit you make.conf file to build your system how you like.

Code:
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium4 -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PORTAGE_NICENESS=3
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
USE="nptl < anyother USE flags that you want>"
#CCACHE_SIZE="512M"

10 Complete the build

Now to complete the building of our system and prepare for for building the kernel run:

Code:
emerge -e system

When this completes you will have a system that is completely ~x86 built from scratch.

We already have the system logger built in the previous steps, so to enable it run:

Code:
rc-update add sysklogd default

Now we need to build some other useful utilities before we build the kernel.

Code:
emerge xinetd fcron sysfsutils dhcpcd coldplug gentoolkit acpid ntp

Then:

Code:
rc-update add net.eth0 default
rc-update add fcron default
rc-update add xinetd default
rc-update add sshd default
rc-update add hotplug default
rc-update add coldplug default
rc-update add acpid default
rc-update add ntp-client default

The following two sections are taken straight from BobP's "Stage 1/3 Install Guide" with only slight change to fit this guide.

11 Set the Time Zone Symlink.

This example displays the available time zone selections for the Western Hemisphere:

Code:
# ls /usr/share/zoneinfo/America

I'll set the local time zone to Central Time because I live in Fort Worth. To do this, I first remove the symlink to the default time zone, and then replace it with a symlink to my local time zone:

Code:
# rm /etc/localtime
# ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago /etc/localtime
Sun Mar 27 19:32:50 CST 2005

11.1 Get it Right for Daylight Savings Time.

The previous example showed how to select a city when setting the timezone symlink. It is my opinion that you should always choose a city that is in your time zone, and use the city to set the time zone symlink. You should NEVER choose a time zone as your symlink for the setting the time zone. Here's why:

I live in Chicagoland (BobP lives in Chicagoland, but I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. However Chicago is the closest city in MY timezone that is listed). By setting the timezone symlink to the nearest major city, Chicago, I don't have to worry about implementing Daylight Savings Time. Linux is smart enough to spring forward and fall back so that no changes to the system time are necessary on my part. This past weekend, when Chicago changed from Central Standard Time to Central Daylight Time, I watched with glee as the clocks on all of my linux PCs ticked from 01:59:59 CST to 03:00:00 CDT. (Just in case you were wondering, THAT is confirmation that I am a basement-dwelling linux g33k!) If I had made the mistake of setting the timezone symlink to CST, then linux would have kept my PC's clock on CST, even though the city that I live in had switched to CDT. In this case, I would either have to manually change my clock over from CST to CDT, or learn to live with a PC who's clock is off by an hour.

12 Eliminate system clock skew

Code:
ntpdate -b -u pool.ntp.org

13 Build the kernel

Now we are ready to build the kernel. I use the vanilla-sources in this guide, however you can use anyother kernel sources you like.

Code:
emerge vanilla-sources

Make sure the /usr/src/linux points to the correct directory.

Code:
ls -l /usr/src
total 1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root  16 Dec  2 05:19 linux -> linux-2.6.15-rc3
drwxr-xr-x  19 root root 712 Dec  2 05:19 linux-2.6.15-rc3

Enter the /usr/src/linux directory and run menuconfig

Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig

After you finish configuring the kernel, build it.

Code:
make && make modules_install && make install

Making the system bootable

14 Now to make your system bootable.

Edit /etc/fstab to match your partition layout.

Code:
/dev/hda1      /boot         reiserfs   noauto,noatime      1 2
/dev/hda2      /            reiserfs   noatime,notail      0 1
/dev/hda3      /home         reiserfs   noatime           0 1
/dev/hda4      none            swap      sw            0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0   /mnt/cdrom   iso9660   noauto,ro         0 0
/dev/fd0      /mnt/floppy      auto      noauto         0 0
proc         /proc         proc      defaults         0 0
shm         /dev/shm   tmpfs         nodev,nosuid,noexec   0 0

Edit /etc/lilo.conf

Code:
boot=/dev/hda
prompt
timeout=50
default=gentoo

image=/boot/kernel-2.6.12.5
   label=gentoo
   read-only
   root=/dev/hda2

Install Lilo

Code:
/sbin/lilo

Set the root password.

Code:
passwd root

You are ready to boot into your new system.

Code:
exit
cd
umount /mnt/gentoo/proc /mnt/gentoo/dev /mnt/gentoo/boot /mnt/gentoo
reboot

Don�t forget to remove the install cd from your CDROM.

BobP for the Stage 3/1 Install that helped inspire this guide.

The folks over at Linux From Scratch for the book that provided the final
inspiration for this guide.

The Gentoo developers that made portage flexible enough to pull this off.

Copyright (c) 2005 Steven Warren. Released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license version 2.0.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

My Bias #1
The best government is the government that governs least.

Last edited by warrens on Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:18 pm; edited 15 times in total
Bad Penguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fiordland Install Guide Reply with quote

Great guide warrens. I did a couple of little extra steps though.

Right after the first emerge of binutils/gcc, I did:

binutils-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-2.16.1
env-update && source /etc/profile

And then before the final emerge -e system, I did:
rm -f /etc/env.d/05gcc-i686-pc-linux-gnu
rm -f /etc/env.d/binutils/*i386*
rm -f /etc/env.d/gcc/*i386*
env-update && source /etc/profile

Each of those file add the old i386-pc-linux-gnu chost to the path....
syg00
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fiordland Install Guide Reply with quote

Bad Penguin wrote:
Great guide warrens.
Agreed - it was enough to make me go look at LFS for the first time.
Must go rustle up an unused (hah !!!) box to try it out.

er, ... try out Fiordland that is ... :?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiordland Install Guide Reply with quote

Nice job. I haven't tried it yet, but the basic premise that's based on LFS is right on the mark.

my congrats on the original effort for a more direct LFS application that you've done with Fiordland. its a nice contribution to Gentoo. being very familiar with the LFS method and with Gentoo, i think that this fills a very nice gap that needs to be filled. perhaps you could fill-in some text to explain to users why its necessary to build the particular ebuilds in the order that they're built. after all, that's the focus of the Fiordland method, and i think you could really make this document great by filling in those gaps a little.

again, my congrats for your efforts, and i look forward to seeing how the content of your document evolves over time.

edit: outdated material removed

Last edited by Bob P on Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Bad Penguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fiordland Install Guide Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
First, when you cut and pasted that section out of my Stage 1/3 Guide, you forgot to change it from my locale to yours. So even though your guide says you live in Texas, you're still using my symlink for Chicago. It would be more appropriate for you to list the localtime symlink for a city that is geographically closer -- one that is in your state as well as your timezone (if there is one).

Gee Bob, which other city in the central time zone would that be? Is Detroit closer to Texas than Chicago? You mean I have been using Chicago all these years when I shouldn't, because Chicago is yours? Do I need to start deleting other symlinks on my system owned by you?
warrens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To BobP:

Sorry that I didn't get the attribution totally right. My bad!!! Just edited in some changes, hope that it is better, if not PM me. I want the attribution to be right.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

My Bias #1
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i noticed something before that i forgot to mention -- when you started working on Fiordland i'm sure that the toolkit was ~x86, but was marked stable while you were working, so you didn't have to keep the ~x86 entries in package.keywords. even though you're not using ~x86 in make.conf, the title of the Fiordland docs say ~x86. i'm wondering if this is a a leftover that you forgot to update when GCC was marked stable. it doesn't look like you're using ~x86 anywhere in Fiordland, so this must be a typo.

one other thing i noticed: i thought that the title for Chapter 12 "Eliminate ntp clock skew" was a little confusing, as it implies that clock skew has someting to do with NTP. you're really using the network time protocol syncs to eliminate system clock skew. the way its worded a new user or a casual reader could get the wrong impression about what NTP actually does, so maybe you could clarify that section a bit.

just another two cents. :)
warrens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, actually the whole build is intended to be ~x86. Changes made to reflect that.

I am waiting for the day the gcc-4.x.x becomes stable enough to enter the ~arch branch. :)

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

My Bias #1
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you see that GCC 3.4.5 hit portage today? :twisted:
warrens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
did you see that GCC 3.4.5 hit portage today? :twisted:

Just checked it, not ~86 yet. Will heve to update the guide when it does though. :roll:

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

My Bias #1
marcusvini
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, warrens, nice work tailoring LFS and Gentoo. I was about to start an experiment of implementing a partition pure LFS and then installing portage to get a from zero gentoo system when I stumbled on your post :)

studying the method I was astonished that Gentoo wouldnt have some ebuilds for the LFS process, and then the results of some googling was that:

Quote:

extracted from: http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/debianutils

This package provides a number of small utilities which are used primarily by the installation scripts of Debian packages, although you may use them directly.

The specific utilities included are: installkernel mkboot mktemp run-parts savelog sensible-browser sensible-editor sensible-pager tempfile which.

while the original mktemp site is http://www.mktemp.org/mktemp

I tried to trace back iana-etc and inetutils, but I failed to find where they are at, but I am certain that those are inside some package much alike the above one, since their original project sites are:

http://www.sethwklein.net/projects/iana-etc/
http://www.gnu.org/software/inetutils/inetutils.html

After googling for some more places, I also stumbled with this distro based on Gentoo and your idea, warrens. You should check them ;-) @ http://www.jedolinux.com/

may you all compile long and prosper ;-)
pv
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great guide warrens :!: :!: :!:

It's exactly what I've been looking for during the last 1 or 2 months :D
I'm sure to use it when reinstalling Gentoo.

warrens wrote:
The build order according to LFS is: binutils, gcc, linux-headers, and the glibc. So here is our firs build packages:

Code:

You say we should build ... linux-headers, and glibc but the command shown doesn't seem to build glibc. Is this an error?

Did I understand right that we NEED NOT to use bootstrap.sh at all?

P.S. Where did gcc-3.4.5 come from? http://gcc.gnu.org doesn't contain such a compiler version.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one other thought -- have you considered adding the term "Stage 1" to your guide's topic header? with all of the fuss in the forums about the disappearance of the Stage 1 install, adding Stage 1 to the Fiordland title might help people interested in Stage 1 methods to rapidly confirm that this thread is worth looking into.
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Documentation, Tips & Tricks to Unsupported Software.
pv
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW shouldn't I run emerge -e system twice?
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good warrens ;) Keep up the good work 8)

edit - Forgot to mention, LFS Style looks interesting and a good thought :)
Lost in android development land.

Last edited by cheater1034 on Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
warrens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pv wrote:
BTW shouldn't I run emerge -e system twice?

You can, but a second emerge -e system is not really needed.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

My Bias #1
warrens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pv wrote:

warrens wrote:

Code:

You say we should build ... linux-headers, and glibc but the command shown doesn't seem to build glibc. Is this an error?

Linux-headers and glibc are built after chaning the default compiler to gcc-3.4.4, so no error here.

pv wrote:
Did I understand right that we NEED NOT to use bootstrap.sh at all?

Yes, perfectly. :)

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

My Bias #1
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Good Job Warrens Reply with quote

I'd already started looking into going with an LFS build but wanted Portage and now I can get best of both worlds. :lol:

EDIT: Just noticed a minor error.

It's in the later part of step 3:

You have folks downloading a stage1 tarball after installing a stage1 tarball. What you need to do is indicate that networking must be up and that you will be following the download a stage from the internet alternate directions.

here's what I sugest
Code:
 cd /mnt/gentoo
and then following the alternate directions for downloading a stage tarball from the internet using Links/Links2

This will work quite well as it's my preferred method is to use a stage tarball from the net.
warrens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Good Job Warrens Reply with quote

FastTurtle wrote:

EDIT: Just noticed a minor error.

It's in the later part of step 3:

You have folks downloading a stage1 tarball after installing a stage1 tarball. What you need to do is indicate that networking must be up and that you will be following the download a stage from the internet alternate directions.

here's what I sugest
Code:
 cd /mnt/gentoo
and then following the alternate directions for downloading a stage tarball from the internet using Links/Links2

This will work quite well as it's my preferred method is to use a stage tarball from the net.

Where did they install a Stage 1 tarball? All that has been done before step 1 is to download and create the install cd. The minimal-install cd iso does not contain any stage tarballs, just a bootable cd from which to do the install. Step one is about the network, step 2 is preparing the harddisk for installation, and step 3 is about getting and installing the Stage 1 tarball and portage. If you want to use links/links2 for downloading portage and the Stage 1 tarball feel free to do so. I am using wget as it is easier for me to maintain. :wink:

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

My Bias #1
warrens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some changes are coming to Fiordland Stage 1 install. Watch for Fiordland Stage 1 Install Guide Ver. 1.1. Hopfully will be ready this weekend. :)

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

My Bias #1
warrens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This version of the Fiordland install is now deprecated. Check out Fierland Stage 1 Install, Ver. 1.1. Have fun :!: :)

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

My Bias #1
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: