Questions for Gentoo install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crzy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Questions for Gentoo install Reply with quote

I have a few questions about gentoo i have installed other distros before but a few people told me this would be alot harder is this true?

another questions is how many cd's does gentoo come with? right now at this moment i am d/ling only 1.
robind
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all you've ever done are a GUI installations, then yes, Gentoo will probably be more difficult. But if you are familiar with Linux then don't expect to much trouble.
dcrook
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzy,

It is harder in the sense that there is no GUI wizard holding your hand throughout. The good news is that the gentoo install handbook is pretty easy to understand. Check it out and read it a few times. Print it out if you don't have another computer around during your install. Installation is actually a pretty straight forward process. It can get tricky depending on what type of hardware you have. These forums are the best place for getting help on that. If you run into a problem, do a search on it first. Someone else has probably already run into it, and solved it. If you can't find anything, of if you just have another question then go ahead and ask it. This place is very newbie friendly.

You only need one CD for a gentoo install.
masonm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo was my first "roll your own" type of install. By following the handbook step by step and searching the forums, I was able to get the installation up and running. I now have a fully functional and very stable system.

Don't let the installation horror stories bother you. The documentation is top notch and the forums even better.

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Registered Linux User # 382617
Frodg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three CD's but you only need the first one - and then during the install and afterwards you emerge the programs you need and they automatically download through the internet. The 2nd & 3rd CDs have the packages already downloaded so you can install without an internet connection... But this means you download everything, not just the ones you need.

I only use the first disk.....

Have fun

Gentoo - Registered Linux User # 361400
crzy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: heh Reply with quote

took me 3 days and 3 tries but i got it down including my wireless :)..
haha the first time i installed it my bootload Grub started acting up didnt want to work correctlying mounting the kernel so i reinstalled,then the second time i installed it with lilo everything worked perfectly until i found out no windows manager was installed lol, so i didnt know what to do so i reinstall, installed gnome( which freaking took 24 hours to compile) and now i am here :) whoa was it fun!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: