[SOLVED] Ebuild - applying patches fails
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Ebuild - applying patches fails Reply with quote

After version-bumping NetSurf from 3.8 to 3.9, the ebuild fails to apply patches defined in the "PATCHES" array.
Code:
>>> Preparing source in /tmp/portage/www-client/netsurf-3.9/work/netsurf-3.9 ...
 * Applying netsurf-3.8-CFLAGS.patch ...
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file frontends/framebuffer/Makefile.rej
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file test/Makefile.rej                                                                                                                     [ !! ]
 * ERROR: www-client/netsurf-3.9::local_overlay failed (prepare phase):
 *   patch -p1  failed with /tmp/portage/www-client/netsurf-3.9/files/netsurf-3.8-CFLAGS.patch
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line  125:  Called src_prepare
 *             environment, line 1528:  Called default
 *      phase-functions.sh, line  872:  Called default_src_prepare
 *      phase-functions.sh, line  937:  Called __eapi6_src_prepare
 *             environment, line  245:  Called eapply '/tmp/portage/www-client/netsurf-3.9/files/netsurf-3.8-CFLAGS.patch' '/tmp/portage/www-client/netsurf-3.9/files/netsurf-3.6-conditionally-include-image-headers.patch' '/tmp/portage/www-client/netsurf-3.9/files/netsurf-3.8-pdf-writer.patch' '/tmp/portage/www-client/netsurf-3.9/files/netsurf-3.9-download-callback-crash.patch'
 *             environment, line  598:  Called _eapply_patch '/tmp/portage/www-client/netsurf-3.9/files/netsurf-3.8-CFLAGS.patch'
 *             environment, line  536:  Called __helpers_die 'patch -p1  failed with /tmp/portage/www-client/netsurf-3.9/files/netsurf-3.8-CFLAGS.patch'
 *   isolated-functions.sh, line  112:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *              die "$@"

This occurs with all the patches from the 3.8 version as well as with a patch specific for 3.9. I'd like some help with debugging, thank you.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
The problem with leaving is that you can only do it once and it reduces your influence.

Last edited by Marcih on Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you getting 3.9 from? Portage only has 3.8.

But I would look at the rejected files and see what's up. The patches might already be applied to the source tarball and thus not needed.

unpack the tarball, and then look at the patches to see what it's trying to do, if they're applied, then don't apply the patches.
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Where are you getting 3.9 from? Portage only has 3.8.
Sorry for not making it clear, I just took the 3.8 ebuild and manually version-bumped.
Anon-E-moose wrote:
But I would look at the rejected files and see what's up. The patches might already be applied to the source tarball and thus not needed.

unpack the tarball, and then look at the patches to see what it's trying to do, if they're applied, then don't apply the patches.
The patches seem to be fine, I've already checked. They also work fine on 3.8 ebuild and all I've done is just changed the version numbers of dependencies and the ebuild name, they're identical otherwise.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
The problem with leaving is that you can only do it once and it reduces your influence.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the source code that the patches try and modify, to see if the patches have already been applied upstream.

Edit to add: Now I'm confused, is the source that you using still 3.8 and only the ebuild is changed?

ETA2: I would also look at the reject files and see which part of the patches aren't being applied.

ETA3: I downloaded the 3.9 version and looked at a few of the files (not all) and some of the makefile have changed, so check the rejects and see what is being rejected. You might not need those pieces and can thus modify the patch (rename to something else and change patch name in ebuild)
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Look at the source code that the patches try and modify, to see if the patches have already been applied upstream.

Edit to add: Now I'm confused, is the source that you using still 3.8 and only the ebuild is changed?

ETA2: I would also look at the reject files and see which part of the patches aren't being applied.

ETA3: I downloaded the 3.9 version and looked at a few of the files (not all) and some of the makefile have changed, so check the rejects and see what is being rejected. You might not need those pieces and can thus modify the patch (rename to something else and change patch name in ebuild)

OK yes, I'm stupid, I only looked at file locations, not the contents, and the Makefiles did change; I'm now changing the patches to reflect the changes. I feel stupid for starting this thread but thanks anyway. :D

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only stupid questions are the one you don't ask.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: