View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacobs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that did the trick. Now without Java, OO2 is superfast :) Neat.
apache2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

help me out here guys:

ryan@Rambo ryan $ soffice
/opt/openoffice.org1.9.79/program/javaldx: error while loading shared libraries: libz.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/opt/openoffice.org1.9.79/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libXext.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

when running the soffice bin
babo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what emul libs do you have installed?
SAngeli
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I need some help, if possible with OOo 2.0 beta on my adm64. I hear good things about this package but the last time I instaleld it was too slow to start.
I now see the trick to make it load fast "java".

I need assistance with the followings:
1. How to determin if I currently have 32bit sun jre installed?
2. What steps Should i follow to complete an install?
a. unmask ooo
b. emerge it
c. ?

PS: I hope I do not have to go back, again, to ooo 1.1.4 :?

thanks,
Spiro
RaZoR1394
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAngeli wrote:
Hi Guys,

I need some help, if possible with OOo 2.0 beta on my adm64. I hear good things about this package but the last time I instaleld it was too slow to start.
I now see the trick to make it load fast "java".

I need assistance with the followings:
1. How to determin if I currently have 32bit sun jre installed?
2. What steps Should i follow to complete an install?
a. unmask ooo
b. emerge it
c. ?

PS: I hope I do not have to go back, again, to ooo 1.1.4 :?

thanks,
Spiro

1. java-config -L
2c. I would disable the java checkbox as it reduces loadtime a lot. Though I didn't really understand if you needed it or not.
XhwMikey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: New Version of OpenOffice does not start without java! Reply with quote

SAngeli,

There is a utility called java-config which allows you to select amongst various java environments as well as to see which one is the current (selected) environment. Do a man on this to double check me, but I believe the command is:

java-config -v

Also, I think you can just download and install the 32 bit sun java from the sun site...then use java-config to select the desired environment. But I suspect difficulties will ensue when 64bit processes call into a 32bit java environment. I could (hope!) I'm wrong there, as it looks like I'm going to have to do something like that (see below). Hope this helps.

All,
But wait...there's more! I just did an update world, which upgdaded my openoffice. Now it wont start at all - complaining about the inability to locate a java environment. Prior to this it would launch (it took a long time at first), and I could uncheck the "use java" preference. I can no longer do this...it won't launch! Any ideas? Is there anything like a "--nojava" switch to the soffice invocation?

Bottom line is if an # emerge -Dup shows an update to your OpenOffice (beta) JUST SAY NO for now..

MikeyB
SAngeli
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks you guys,

here is the output of my java:

Quote:
# java-config -L
[blackdown-jre-1.4.2.02] "Blackdown JRE 1.4.2.02" (/etc/env.d/java/20blackdown-jre-1.4.2.02)
[blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.02] "Blackdown JDK 1.4.2.02" (/etc/env.d/java/20blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.02) *

Code:
# java-config -v
java version "1.4.2-02"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-1.4.2-02)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build Blackdown-1.4.2-02, mixed mode)

How do i know if it is a 64 or 32 bit? Is it 64 as it says above? If so, can I also have a 32 bit too?
Perhaps, I just need to wait for Ooo 2.0 becomes final release. Besides, It would not take that long right?

I assume is should be 32 because it allows mozilla-firefox-bin to run

Thanks
Spiro
pgolik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: New Version of OpenOffice does not start without java! Reply with quote

XhwMikey wrote:

But wait...there's more! I just did an update world, which upgdaded my openoffice. Now it wont start at all - complaining about the inability to locate a java environment.

Same thing here, openoffice-bin-1.9.118 doesn't start, so no way to disable java. 1.9.109 works fine. From my experience, the only thing you lose disabling java is macros.
Pawel
Mythos
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry any one used ooodi sucessfuly in Open Office 2 ???
Linux dune 3.0.6-gentoo #1 SMP Thu Oct 27 16:47:29 WEST 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
XhwMikey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,
Well I searched the Open Office forums for help on this java thing. No help there. In fact, they are in MAJOR DENIAL that the 64 bit world lives now nor that it is a big part of the future - kept seeing someone ask what would be the use for a 64 bit port of OOo(???!). Grrrrrr. Good grief, even M$ acknowleges that 64 bits are on the radar. Saw something about 64bit port for version 2.1!!! whenever that happens. Suppose I gotta drop back to 109. Swell. Not sure how to have 32bit JRE co-exist with 64bit system (64bit Firefox). How does Star Office handle 64 bit Solaris installations I wonder...

XhwMikey
Birtz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using this simple hack to workaround the java problems with OpenOffice 2.0beta;

My main java-jdk and jre are blackdown and are ofcourse 64-bit, and I have installed sun-jre 32-bit:
Code:
# java-config -L
[sun-jre-bin-1.4.2.08] "Sun JRE 1.4.2.08" (/etc/env.d/java/20sun-jre-bin-1.4.2.08)
[blackdown-jre-1.4.2.02] "Blackdown JRE 1.4.2.02" (/etc/env.d/java/20blackdown-jre-1.4.2.02)
[blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.02] "Blackdown JDK 1.4.2.02" (/etc/env.d/java/20blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.02) *

I have installed 32-bit sun-jre like this:
Code:
# echo "dev-java/sun-jre-bin x86" >>/etc/portage/package.keywords
# ABI="x86" emerge sun-jre-bin

Now, this is important, you have to run OpenOffice once with correct java-jre version:
Code:
(run following as a user)
# java-config -s sun-jre-bin
Env files in /home/<your_username>/.gentoo updated. Source these in your shell's profile.
# source ~/.gentoo/java-env
# <path_to_openoffice>/soffice

Now, you won't have to source java.env anymore, since OpenOffice has "remembered" where it can find your java installation ;)

Life is good (for the most part) :)

Don't have a childhood hero? How about Rob Hubbard http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/tcworh/profile.htm
crazycat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually 64bit means as much as nothing to a word processor and i can understand that noone really wants to spend man power(most of whom are sun employees) and limited resources on the needless rewrite. OO is a huge piece of code which took almost 12 hours and 2 gb of hard drive space to compile on my old athlon. Even m$ is not that dumb to rewrite everything 64bit so if you actually tried the trial of win x64 you would know that, the situation there is THE SAME as in linux. They got their 32bit flash and their 32bit codecs. You want speed for encoding - use 64 bit xvid. You want compatibility and that everything works - use 32bit internet explorer or whatever browser you prefer , like in linux. Please clean your ears of marketing speech and run some tests for yourself. I think the problem with jre is gentoo problem which could have been a usefull depenadncy for opera or 32bit mozilla. But i think things will settle sooner or later cause doing things "the right way" costs always lots of time and in the short term ease of use and demands of it's users some patience and help. But the efforts are generally repyed in the long term by better functionality. There are lot of improvements by using 64bit code and I posted some benchmarks in the faq thread. But things like a web browser, or a word processor ... the benefits are just not worth it. Things will change, but not anytime soon.
crazycat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABI="x86" emerge sun-jdk / sun-jre-bin would emerge 64bit jre/jdk on my box.
Maybe because i haven't tried the 'echo "dev-java/sun-jre-bin x86" >>/etc/portage/package.keywords' trick. I had to modify jdk ebuild to get 32bit java and to make it fit nicely :
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-351223-highlight-opera+java.html
Birtz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazycat, this works like a charm, you have to agree that it is far more simple than you have suggested in the quoted thread ;)

And yes, package.keywords is very important because it is preffered ACCEPT_KEYWORDS for packages, that way portage uses "x86" path. For ABI="x86" I am not pretty sure, because sun-jre-bin is a binary package and nothing get's compiled here, but I left it hanging there because of the sanity (changing ABI like this puts ABI's environment in place for emerge e.g. ABI="x86" would pass --libdir=/usr/lib32 to ./configure via econf and use 32-bit compiles).

Anyways, once you install it like this, you can point your opera to it also (I did it myself).

Best regards

Edit
And as a side note, I do agree with your remarks regarding 32-bit/64-bit necessity or usability. For the most part, I think people are just trying to be more 31337 having all 64-bit, but I am comfortable that I can have 95% of my system 64-bit and *ability* to run the rest 32-bit (that's the melding point for me ;) ). Not to mention that there are no "emulation" speeches here but like in first days of 32-bit world (16/32-bit transition), we are talking about 32/64-bit transition.

Don't have a childhood hero? How about Rob Hubbard http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/tcworh/profile.htm
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birtz - I was not able to use your way to install sun-jre-bin-1.5.0.04 as 32 bit, at least not cleanly. It would not include the plugin and javaws folders :(

I have in my /etc/package.keywords:
Code:
dev-java/sun-jre-bin ~x86
dev-java/sun-jdk ~amd64...

Any pointers to get it all right? I've also a thread about it here if you would have a look.
As of April 2006 - Athlon64 X2 4200+ 1GB RAM - amd64-2006.0 profiled system with portage 2.1_preX, ck-sources-2.6.16, glibc-2.4-r1 (overlay w/-Bdirect&-hashvals), binutils-2.16.91.0.6 (overlay), gcc-4.1, Xorg 7
crazycat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to use your method , Birtz but it keeps installing 64bit jdk and jre. Probably because amd64 version is unmasked somewhere in my configuratuion. Anyway if it really works on your system out of the box, it is a better way than to edit the ebuild manually.
Birtz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joffer wrote:
Birtz - I was not able to use your way to install sun-jre-bin-1.5.0.04 as 32 bit, at least not cleanly. It would not include the plugin and javaws folders :(

I have in my /etc/package.keywords:
Code:
dev-java/sun-jre-bin ~x86
dev-java/sun-jdk ~amd64...

Any pointers to get it all right? I've also a thread about it here if you would have a look.

Code:
# cat /etc/portage/package.keywords | grep sun
dev-java/sun-jre-bin x86

# emerge sun-jre-bin -pv

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   Rf  ] dev-java/sun-jre-bin-1.4.2.08-r1  +browserplugin -mozilla 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

# ls /opt/sun-jre-bin-1.4.2.08/javaws/
cacerts            javaws.jar      readme_es.html  readme_sv.html
javalogo52x88.gif  javaws.policy   readme_fr.html  readme_zh_CN.html
javaws             javawsbin       readme_it.html  readme_zh_TW.html
javaws-l10n.jar    readme.html     readme_ja.html  resources
javaws-waitid.so   readme_de.html  readme_ko.html  sunlogo64x30.gif

# ls /opt/sun-jre-bin-1.4.2.08/plugin/i386/
ns4  ns610  ns610-gcc32

As I see it, you want to have 1.5.0 of sun-jre (e.g. unstable branch) ... Haven't tried that. Secondly, notice "+browserplugin" USE flag.

Regards

Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birtz wrote:
As I see it, you want to have 1.5.0 of sun-jre (e.g. unstable branch) ... Haven't tried that. Secondly, notice "+browserplugin" USE flag.

Regards

You are correct. It would not work with your method. I tried, and it started to extract/install amd64 files:
Code:
<snip>...
   creating: jre1.5.0_04/lib/amd64/
   creating: jre1.5.0_04/lib/amd64/xawt/
  inflating: jre1.5.0_04/lib/amd64/xawt/libmawt.so
  inflating: jre1.5.0_04/lib/amd64/libnet.so
  inflating: jre1.5.0_04/lib/amd64/libnio.so
  inflating: jre1.5.0_04/lib/amd64/libjaas_unix.so
  inflating: jre1.5.0_04/lib/amd64/jvm.cfg
</snip>

I will look at the 1.4.2 ebuild and see if they are very different..

But it is a bit strange too, because it I try this:
Code:
USE="-* x86" ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -av --oneshot --nodeps sun-jre-bin
it installs the i586 bin file, but it does not include the plugin and javaws folders. I think it could have something to do with the 1.5.0 ebuild and it's src_install() function:
Code:
src_install() {

if use amd64; then
        local dirs="bin lib man"
    else
        local dirs="bin lib man plugin javaws"
    fi
Well.. I'll have a look at both ebuilds.. Perhaps I just need to hack the ebuild or manually install the i586 file... hmm...
As of April 2006 - Athlon64 X2 4200+ 1GB RAM - amd64-2006.0 profiled system with portage 2.1_preX, ck-sources-2.6.16, glibc-2.4-r1 (overlay w/-Bdirect&-hashvals), binutils-2.16.91.0.6 (overlay), gcc-4.1, Xorg 7
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended ut making myself a sun-jre-bin_x86-1.5.0.04.ebuild for ~amd64. Now I have java in opera and firefox-bin :D
XhwMikey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joffer,

Any chance you could post your 1.5.0 ~amd64 ebuild or at least a few hints? I have not ventured into the world of creating ebuilds, but I'm willing to give it a go - gotta learn sometime I guess.

XhwMikey

CrazyCat,
At no time did I suggest that I needed 64 bits for a word processor. I purchased an amd64 platform because I felt that the 64bit platform offered me the best growth path for the future without having to buy new PC components in the next few years - so that is what I have. Beyond that I do not feel compelled to justify my use of a 64bit platform (marketing hype notwithstanding). I was not "whining" because Ooo isn't 64bit (I've been living with that as well as the browser plugin issue from the start). In fact, I could'nt care less if they take until 2010 to port it to 64bit. I just want to continue using Ooo (and advocating it use BTW) on my 64 bit system. However, I was expressing frustration with the dismissive comments when 64 bit "customers" wrote in to the Ooo forum asking about full 64 bit functionality. I was also frustrated because I could not find a workaround to my current situation - namely the new version of Ooo won't even start without a 32bit JRE, and barring some kind of a workaround, a 64bit port looked like the only answer . I have no intention of trying to be 3l33t or anything else - I'll probably be a n00b forever and that's fine. I'm just trying to do my best to solve my own problems (by searching web forums) and learn something in the process. IMHO, arguing that Ooo should not be ported to 64bit platforms (or relegated to the bottom priority) because the power of a 64bit processor is not needed - is specious at best. If that were the case, we should fire up our IBM PC-XT 8086 boxes to surf the web and do word processing because who needs more than 16 bits to do that? Certainly not a scenario I would want. Granted the Ooo folks have a big job to do and I offer my respect for the job done already, but blowing off the 64 bit "customers" who are asking about the best way to coexist with 32 bit Ooo binaries is not a good thing. End of SoapBox.
klockren
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 32 bit Java installed in /usr/java32/jre1.5.0_04/ . How do I link OO2beta to this? Is there a symlink or config file to edit? I can't do any changes inside the program, as I can't even fire it up!
Code:
./soffice
javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: ../sysdeps/generic/dl-tls.c: 75: _dl_next_tls_modid: Assertion `result <= _rtld_local._dl_tls_max_dtv_idx' failed!
Voyageur
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: ../sysdeps/generic/dl-tls.c: 75: _dl_next_tls_modid: Assertion `result <= _rtld_local._dl_tls_max_dtv_idx' failed!

This is a known bug of glibc-2.3.5 (I assume that is your version since this is the latest marked stable), check this post or bugzilla

glibc-2.3.5-r1 has the fix for that (marked ~amd64)
jkomar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Code:

I was having this issue as well. doing
Code:
opengl-update xorg-x11

worked for me.

Cheers,
Jason
jkomar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

correction: opengl-update xorg-x11 worked but caused other issues. I had to do it each time I restarted and my nvidia-glx didn't want to load properly afterward.

I will try the glibc ~amd64 and see if that works.

Jason
jkomar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the glibc-2.3.5-r1.ebuild and I am still getting:
Code:

when I try to launch openoffice.org from the command line.

I am running (or trying to run) openoffice-bin-1.9.122 on AMD64.

OpenOffice.org 1.9.109 was working OK. I can't even revert now as the ebuild is gone from Portage.

Thanks,
Jason
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: