Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
World Of Warcraft Howto UPDATED 3/16/05! (old)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nazgum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: World Of Warcraft Howto UPDATED 3/16/05! (old) Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
This will be divided into three separate sections now: the install section, the Cedega section, and the Wine section. First will be the Cedega section.

Install:
First, make sure you're using REGULAR WINE to start this off. I tried it with cedega a few times and things were buggy (4.1 and 4.2), so I'll be sticking with wine for the install. Also, non-gentoo users should make sure that they have the following installed:
xorg-x11-devel
freeglut-devel
fglrx-devel (for ati users)

I've tried using the latest wine in portage and wine-cvs, and they both work perfectly, and I've also used it back to the September version, so don't worry too much about that.

My windows version is set to win98.

Insert your cd, mount it, and then execute
Code:
wine /path/to/cdrom/install.exe
That should be all you need to do in order to get it installed. If cedega fails to install (such as here), I've heard that copying all the files from the cds to a directory on your hard drive and executing it from there will solve the problem. This is, however, untested by me.

Next, we'll be updating to the latest version. This can be done via one of two ways. The first is to use the Blizzard updater, which can be slow for some (it can also be amazingly fast as well). We'll try that.

All you have to do to get this started is cd into your WoW directory in your wine home (probably ~/.wine/fake_windows/Program Files/World Of Warcraft/). Execute
Code:
wine WoW.exe -opengl

World of Warcraft should start soon. If you're having issues with this, try running the appropriate opengl-update command and making sure your glx is working.

The goal of openging WoW now is to get the updater going, which is why we're still using regular wine. I've had cedega die a few times at this point (their WoW support is still fairly limited :-/) . Anyway, try logging on, and it should kick you back into the updater. Now you can choose which method of getting the update you want to do.

1) Wait for the Blizzard updater to download it.
2) Use google to find the file (just copy and paste the name of the file into it.

If the updater is going quickly, choose the first option. If it's going slowly, choose the second option.

Now that you've got the update, you'll need to run it manually. It should be in the same directory that your WoW.exe is in, so I'll assume that it is. Run
Code:
wine <patch name.exe>

This will take a bit of time.

Now you're all set to play! Well, almost. The last thing you need to do is add the following line to the WTF/Config.wtf file in your WoW directory:
Code:
SET ffxDeath "0"

That will prevent your screen from glitching out if you die.

Cedega:
Now is when we'll switch to cedega. Run WoW.exe with cedega (without -opengl for now). Everything should start up as normal. If you don't have a cursor, skip down a bit for that fix. Now you should be able to play the game normally though.

D3D Cursor fix
Download this file. Untar it, then go into that directory. You'll need to run the game to see what the EXACT name of the WoW window is called in your desktop environment/window manager. If you're using the D3D version, you can probably just leave it as it is to have it work, but no guarantees about that.

Anyway, there's 3 files. Makefile, wowfix, and wowfix.c. This is so that you can rebuild wowfix if the window name is set incorrectly. You can change the name of the window that it looks for in wowfix.c on line 20 where it says #define WINDOW_NAME. If you do that, you'll need to delete wowfix and run 'make' to build it again.

What this file does is simple. It forces the cursor to show up in cedega since sometimes it gets buggy and decides to hide itself. To use it, you just fire up WoW, then execute the wowfix. I put it somewhere in my PATH so that I don't have to type the directory that it's in every time.

Performance fixes/tweaks:
Firstly, turn off all pixel shaders and filters in the game settings. I turned off vsync too since it was getting uppity. Also turn off the pixel shaders manually in the cedega config. You can find this in ~/.transgaming/config. Set
Code:
"VertexShaders" = "Y"
"VertexShaderMode" = "Hardware"
"PixelShaders" = "N"

This turns off the pixel shaders in cedega itself. Just to be certain ;). You may also notice AA filtering just above these two options. It's up to you whether or not you enable it. Things may look nicer, but it may slow things down as well. I run with max AA.

Cosmos:
Works perfectly. Just download a version and copy the Interface directory to the appropriate place. That's all there is to it.

OpenGL mode:
The reason I don't use -opengl with cedega is simple; it causes the game to crash any time you enter a building because of a minimap-related glitch. Pretty big glitch, eh? To get around this, you can do one of two things:

NEEDS COSMOS
1) Edit the MiniMap.xml file in Interface/FrameXML. You'll be making the following change:
Code:
      <Scripts>
         <OnLoad>
            Minimap.timer = 0;
+               ToggleMinimap();
            Minimap_Update();
            this:RegisterEvent("MINIMAP_ZONE_CHANGED");
         </OnLoad>
         <OnEvent>
            Minimap_Update();
         </OnEvent>

Where the line with a '+' is the line that is being added. That should hide the minimap automatically when you enter a building, but I can't guarantee it works since I'm running happily in the d3d version with my wowfix :D.
EDIT:
Apparently with cedega 4.3, opengl mode is fixed so that the minimap no longer causes this crash. If you're using 4.3, disregard the above section.

DOESN'T NEED COSMOS
2) Use the d3d version (without -opengl).

Those are your two options as far as opengl mode is concerned.

I can't remember any other things that need to be said on the topic (except to remember that you're running X in 24 bit mode and WoW is set to do the same), so I'll just say that I've been playing since the final stress test before the open beta and I haven't noticed any performance changes along the way. It still runs perfectly.

I play in 1280x1024 resolution with maximum detail in the game config, and I play it inside E (enlightenment 16.7.2) without issues. There are a couple things that might irritate you if you aren't aware of them prior to doing them though. If you alt+tab out of the game while holding a button (the walk forward button, for instance) you will continue to do whatever that button makes you do (walk forward in this case) until you switch back to the game and press that button again.

Another slightly irritating issue is when you do the abovementioned button pushing, and then turn caps lock on or off while outside the game. For me at least, that had the effect of creating two different caps lock environments. In one (the game) the caps lock was disabled, but everything was uppercase. In the other (outside the game) the caps lock was disabled, but everything was lowercase. That meant that to speak in game without pissing everyone else off I had to keep the caps lock on. To fix this, I just had to recreate the situation (switch out with a key pressed and toggle the caps lock). Or something like that anyway. If it's really irritating you, just restart the game.

Have fun!

EDIT:
Water slowdown fix:
Code:
;; WoW
[AppDefaults\\WoW.exe\\Version]
"Windows" = "win98"
[AppDefaults\\WoW.exe\\d3dgl]
"FixedProgram" = "No"

Seems to work on some systems, mine didn't need it. YMMV.

Wine section:
Very simple. Just build wine-cvs using this patch, install using the above method, and then run with
Code:
wine-cvs WoW.exe -opengl
. Works perfectly here and I won't be using cedega any more.

I'm downloading this game from fileplanet atm and I'll be giving it a shot in linux too.

I'm curious if it will work with standard wine since the other linux guys hacked up some special version of wine to make it work with the wow beta earlier.

MOD EDIT: Added quote.
-- Deathiwng00

discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here's another update:

Seems to work alright, but after the install you have to change your winver from win98 to win2k.

More information as it comes...
nazgum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe I'm just curious to info on this while i wait to download - what does "seems to work alright" mean?

did you get the game to play? could u log in and run around :)

or did it just finish installing/updating?

just curious/anxious ;)
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update:

Having a bit of trouble getting the game to load; character creation/login goes fine, but when I try to actually join the game it dies. Working on getting that fixed. Also updated to 20041019 (I guess only the installer is picky).
ConVicTioN
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am dling the client right now its 2097.2 Meg. I am seeing that this might not be the correct size what you guys weighing in at. I also have read that unzip cant extract new winzip9.03 files. What app you use to extract it with my friend said rar fails.
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it off bittorrent, so it wasn't zipped.

In further news, I just tried my installed version with cedega 4.1 (cedega previously wouldn't work with the installer so I scrapped it for the testing) and it works. I'm going to try and figure out what the exact cause of this is, because I'd rather not use cedega if I don't have to. Plus, I'm sure that everyone else would prefer that it work with regular wine too. :wink:
ConVicTioN
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a url for that bittorrent file ;)
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't. If you search around on the battle.net forums (or was it the fileplanet forums?) you'll find links to it.
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I've given up on getting normal wine to work for today.

If somebody else wants to try tinkering with it, feel free. The problem I had was that it would load completely, and then die with something that looked like this:

Code:
fixme:thread:GetThreadTimes Cannot get kerneltime or usertime of other threads

This isn't to say that I won't try to get it working with wine in the future (as soon as tomorrow), but for now I'm going to play it until I die.

Quick summary of how to get it running:

Wine version 20040914
copy riched20.dll from a working windows install into your fake_windows/windows/system folder
Install

Here's where it gets sketchy:
"Acquire" Cedega 4.1
use that to run WoW

That's it.

NOTE:
I AM NOT ADVOCATING PIRACY, NOR DO I ENCOURAGE THE STEALING OF SOFTWARE.

ConVicTioN
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to get it running in winx as well with same error. I installed using winx, play using cedega 4.1 -opengl dont work. I runs great I have not seen any problems with it what so ever so far. :lol:

Last edited by ConVicTioN on Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
nazgum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wanted to add that copying the .dll files and installing with regular wine (1031) and then running the game with cedega 4.1, as posted here by Darckness, works fine for me too.
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't run the game with the -opengl flag; it's actually slower.
ConVicTioN
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found -opengl is faster by about 5 fps, but errors out on entering a dungen. Transgaming forums say its the new curser. I have noticed that when exiting the game it freezes and I have to restart X.
PZoned
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well "Aquireing" Cedega is a simple task right now (i am a subscriber) if you dont got cedega, download the timed demo today :D
nazgum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any gentoo'ers are playing wow - i'm playing good on server 3 and evil on server 4 on the EST servers - if anyone wants to say ello :)

my chars on both servers are named nazgum.
needafix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little help with the install if anyone could.. I can not get it to pass the initial install screen.. I have direct rendering so.. not sure what i am missing .. after i click the install button i get nada..

thanks
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow the directions I posted and it will work.
nazgum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to install it with regular wine - then run the game with cedega
ConVicTioN
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new patch is out. D3D has lost its curser agian, but the faster -opengl has been fixed(enter a zone the new hardware curser would crash). You can dl the patch torrent from the url i posted above. Then just run the exe in cedega your good to go. With the new nvidia drivers and -opengl I have increased my fps by 25 fps. Still no winex :(.
chiatello
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you run it in opengl?

im pissed that i los tmy cursor lol

cedega WoW.exe -opengl?

thanks
chiatello
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i use the -opengl , it says "world of warcraft was unable to initialize 3d acceleration" or something like that, however d3d works fine... except no mouse

any ideas?
SlicerDicer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Swirling in the Dunny, and please remember close the seat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: World Of Warcraft HowTo (fixes and such) Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
Not sure if anyone else was having these problems, but having joined the WoW beta now, I encountered (and fixed) them.

Firstly, I'm running wine-20040914. Anything else wouldn't work (don't bother with cedega, it fails (and no, I didn't waste my money on it, so stop your flaming now)).

My windows version is set to win98.

You need to copy riched20.dll from a working windows install into your fake_windows/windows/system folder. It's possible that you also need riched32.dll and advapi32.dll as well, but I can't say for certain at the moment.
Code:
"riched32"     = "native"

The above line should be in your dlloverrides in your wine config.

I'll post any other problems/solutions as I run into them. I'm currently installing it now and writing this while I wait. Wish me luck!

Nice to see that you did not note that it should be

Code:
"riched32"     = "native, builtin"

Also you did not note that it needs to be a DLL override under the installer only. Also you forgot to note that advapi32.dll works fully in Cedega for WoW and finally you forgot to mention that you can install WoW in windows and copy it over and play it.

(don't bother with cedega, it fails (and no, I didn't waste my money on it, so stop your flaming now)).

It fails eh I think i noted that your using it below and not advocating piracy but what you said above seems to be a clear statement that you are unless you are so bent on playing WoW that you subscribe. I am sorry dont be a jerk about it man. Explain things correctly and moreover dont flame things yourself if you dont want to be flamed. If you will notice that WoW has been working since August 10th in Cedega IIRC

I think they are doing a great job. You telling people how to do it flaming cedega is just bleh.

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow. I mean... just look at them! Walking meat-bags, I tell you!
SlicerDicer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiatello wrote:
when i use the -opengl , it says "world of warcraft was unable to initialize 3d acceleration" or something like that, however d3d works fine... except no mouse

any ideas?

Well you need to activate OGL in WoW and it will work fine but I can tell you right now the speed difference between OGL and D3D is not that great in Cedega I get 75+ FPS why need more switch it to OGL? Besides blizzard advises against OGL cause its buggy on the windows client right now. But yes it does work I have done it and its ok.

ConVicTioN wrote:
I have found -opengl is faster by about 5 fps, but errors out on entering a dungen. Transgaming forums say its the new curser. I have noticed that when exiting the game it freezes and I have to restart X.

Note above that I said that blizzard told me personally that the OGL mode in Windows Client is buggy.

BTW if you want to contact me ingame I am Electrafried on Beta Server 2 and Test 10. I play the horde heh. Tauren rock I love the idea of a Giant Upright walking Bovine!

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow. I mean... just look at them! Walking meat-bags, I tell you!
ConVicTioN
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea -opengl is still bugged thought they fixed it went into a couple of buildings it was fine. Went to a new area tryed to go in side it crashs. I use opengl because it runs alot better on my slower machine d3d I get 40fps on the run in towns get around 10-20. Ogl its 75 on the run in towns 40-50s. Windows install is a good tip. Anyone try to downgrade to cedega 4.0.1 to see if the curser is back to the old handlers.

Last edited by ConVicTioN on Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
SlicerDicer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConVicTioN wrote:
Yea -opengl is still bugged thought they fixed it went into a couple of buildings it was fine. Went to a new area tryed to go in side it crashs. I use opengl because it runs alot better on my slower machine d3d I get 40fps on the run in towns get around 10-20. Ogl its 75 on the run in towns 40-50s. Windows install is a good tip.

Yep works like a charm mate (windows install/copy). I guess you could always go grab cosmos. No joke it will activate OGL flawlessly and then you can run WoW with it. Thats one way to do it if you want to try that. Well almost flawlessly.

But yea OGL I guess would help a slower machine I got a pretty gutsy box so it can grunt just like the orcs :)

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: