Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
World Of Warcraft Howto UPDATED 3/16/05! (old)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonasx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running whine inside a chroot 32bit enivroment(not sure if that's a problem) and can't seem to get the installer to work

Code:

wine /mnt/cdrom/installe.exe

Missing symbol {LanguageCode}! (SymbolTable::UnmappedSymbolSubstitution)
fixme:ole:OleCreateStaticFromData (not shown), stub!

a window does open and says:

sorry the installer was unable to start up.

I'm using the cvs version any ideas?
chrisashton84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having trouble also in a 32-bit chroot environment. I can't use the installer (I get fixme:font:CreateScalableFontResourceW (1,0x422b2308,0x422b2208,(nil)): stub and wine-preloader eats up all the processor while the install window sits unresponsive). I had it installed through windows and tried to use that, but I get
Code:
fixme:opengl:query_function_pbuffer gl_version is: "1.5.2 NVIDIA 66.29"
fixme:opengl:query_function_pbuffer glx_exts is: "GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_SGIX_fbconfig GLX_SGIX_pbuffer GLX_SGI_video_sync GLX_SGI_swap_control GLX_ARB_multisample GLX_NV_float_buffer GLX_ARB_get_proc_address "
fixme:opengl:query_function_pbuffer gl_version is: "1.5.2 NVIDIA 66.29"
fixme:opengl:query_function_pbuffer glx_exts is: "GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_SGIX_fbconfig GLX_SGIX_pbuffer GLX_SGI_video_sync GLX_SGI_swap_control GLX_ARB_multisample GLX_NV_float_buffer GLX_ARB_get_proc_address "
err:winspool:AddPrinterW Printername L"Stylus_Photo_820hSheet_Feeder___Borderlessi" must not exceed length of DEVMODE.dmDeviceName !
err:winspool:CUPS_LoadPrinters printer 'Stylus_Photo_820hSheet_Feeder___Borderlessi' not added by AddPrinterA (error 124)
err:winspool:AddPrinterW Printername L"Stylus_Photo_820hStandard___Minimize_Marginsi" must not exceed length of DEVMODE.dmDeviceName !
err:winspool:CUPS_LoadPrinters printer 'Stylus_Photo_820hStandard___Minimize_Marginsi' not added by AddPrinterA (error 124)
Segmentation fault

I haven't done anything besides install wine-cvs and try to run this. I've read the thread and don't think I missed anything. I had gotten the impression that the latest wine-cvs 'just worked'. Don't be too harsh if I missed the solution and it was posted earlier :)
pharaoh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have it running under Wine, anyone know why my keypad won't work? I have numlock on, and when I hit the keys it just lights up the box that it's bound to but doesn't really execute it. It's weird...any ideas?
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
ConVicTioN
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonasx try throwing a -opengl on end of that install line.
Jonasx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConVicTioN wrote:

Tried that, diont think its a opengl problem though. This is just the installer part, that wouldn't need opengl?

edit:

Ok I did a complete rebuild from the cvs and used a default config file i found (very basic)

Code:

WINE REGISTRY Version 2
;; All keys relative to \\Machine\\Software\\Wine\\Wine\\Config

;; WARINING
;; This config file is for base installation.

[wine]
"GraphicsDriver" = "x11drv"; (x11drv, ttydrv)
"Path" = "c:\\windows;c:\\windows\\system"
"Windows" = "c:\\windows"
"System" = "c:\\windows\\system"
"Temp" = "c:\\"
"Profile" = "c:\\windows\\Profiles\\Administrator"

# [wineconf]

[Version]
"Windows" = "win98"

[DllOverrides]
"*" = "builtin, native"

# [/wineconf]

Now i'm getting an error about being out of hard disk space....
MasterMind
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a problem with crashing. Using Cedega 4.2.1 with basic config (what the first post says...). I can play the game for hours, but then it crashes. Mostly when there are Horde players present (I am an Alliance player). Any idea? And how to play WOW with wine? (just point me to the page where it is described...)

Thx in advance...

Podnapisi.NET, we support only quality!
MasterMind
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that the first post was edited.. I'll try using wine ...

berferd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Got it working with my ATI card Reply with quote

So I got it to work using Wine CVS. The login and character selection screens are still pretty hard to read, but you can get through them if you are patient. I get a psychedelic sky and lots of artifacts in the game. I mucked around with the game video settings and got it to where it's playable, if ugly. I'm pretty sure the problems are caused by ATI's sucky drivers 'cause there are no artifacts if I switch the opengl to mesa. The game is too slow to be playabe under mesa, however.

I am also getting sound stuttering. I get a bunch of these messages in the terminal window from which I lauched the game:

Code:

fixme:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne problem with underrun detection (mixlen=6324 < primary_done=8912)
fixme:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne problem with underrun detection (mixlen=16384 < primary_done=26872)

The game also crashes on exit, but it's more stable than under Win 98 otherwise.
pharaoh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the stuttering when the game loads up after login, but that's the only time. Can someone please try binding a number on the keypad to an ability and see if it works? Using Wine CVS and this problem is the only thing holding me back.
Bobrepuss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: blank installer Reply with quote

wine installer.exe just gives me the WoW installer window with nothing inside it, any ideas?

Im running the latest gentoo dev kernel and wine cvs
Patastrophe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Problem still occurs... Reply with quote

I followed the instructions exactly...and it still doesn't work. I opted to use regular wine not cedgea. When I log in, I get the minimap error. Any suggestions?

EDIT: The ebuild is a daily snapshot of Wine's CVS, isn't it. Or am I mistaken?

Last edited by Patastrophe on Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
ConVicTioN
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only wine-cvs has the mini-map patch. Give the patch a month or two to get into production wine.
MaDDeePee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my situation:

Gentoo 2.6.10-7, newest nvidia drivers with a 6600GT and Dual Xeon 2,8Ghz.
Newest Cedega.

In Xinerama mode, WoW crashes sometimes.
I started an other Xserver on "F8" WITHOUT Xinerama (another serverlayout) and then it worked flawlessly with:

1280x1024, 16xAF, 8xAA, AGPSBA-Enabled, AGPFW-disabled, WITHOUT Death effect and WITHOUT this global glow effekts.
Turning on death-fx and global glow results in flickering black stripes all over the screen. Turning off AA prevent this, but AA is way better than that... its running >35 Fps

Any way: Im having no problems with minimap or other stuff....

- i dont need microsoft -
pharaoh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaDDeePee wrote:
- i dont need microsoft -

Rock on brutha! Could you see if the numpad is working for you? Mine is half-working in a weird way. Could you try binding a key on the numpad to any button on your bar and see if it works normally please?
MasterMind
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I run WOW in Wine... it's going very slow. I think the problem is in too big resolution. How to make it smaller. (Without making the desktop resolution smaller...)

suineg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: blank installer Reply with quote

Bobrepuss wrote:
wine installer.exe just gives me the WoW installer window with nothing inside it, any ideas?

Im running the latest gentoo dev kernel and wine cvs

I'm having this same problem, I am really looking forward to dropping cedega if I get this worling properly.

any help would be appreciated :)
suineg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those of you that have the hardware to support it, do the pixel shader effects work in opengl?

The death effect at least worked for me in cedega, just curious if I am going to lose this by switching to regular wine.
goldenshale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: paste error... Reply with quote

In case people were getting this error as well, I figured I'd reply to let you know that it is just a copy paste error when you copied the ebuild. Go through the src_compile function and make sure it looks like the ebuild in the page. Some of the lines are long so they wrap incorrectly...

pharaoh wrote:
I tried giblet's ebuild and I get this error
Code:
Configure finished.  Do 'make depend && make' to compile Wine.

/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 75: --with-curses: command not found

!!! ERROR: app-emulation/wine-cvs-1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 77, Exitcode 127
!!! configure failed

I'm new to CVS, should I just do the the manual way or is my problem something simple?
phorim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Except for some stuttering sound, this thing rocks Reply with quote

I'm currently running under wine-cvs + OpenGL. The sound could be a bit smoother, but other than that it was fairly easy to stumble through. This was my first time using CVS and one of the very few times I've compiled something using "make". I managed to stumble through everything in a couple of hours. TransGaming better get their act together, WoW was the only thing that I was using Cedega for.

Any input on fixing sound issues is much appreciated. Would I be better off using kernel 2.4?

Thanks
Jim
suineg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if this is related to the problem i'm having but I get this error when starting wine.

Code:

fixme:ntdll:NtAccessCheck (0x77c48370, 0x7c, 00000001, 0x77abf8d0, 0x77abf8ac, 0x77abf8e0, 0x77abf8c4, 0x77abf868), stub
fixme:font:CreateScalableFontResourceW (1,0x7a2c6088,0x7a2c2308,(nil)): stub

how do I fix this?
Saa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm a WoW addict and the only reason I run windows is because of it. I can't stand it >< ! I'm aching to get into a unix enviroment again fulltime at home, so before I partition the driveand start cracking I wanted to ask a few things from some of you more experienced guys.

Right now, I'm forced into an ATI 9800. I can't change that right now. So can I run the game @ a reasonable fps using this card, or do the drivers from ATI just suck to much ass for this?

I haven't started the ground work for reinstalling gentoo yet, so before I start (main concern my graphics card) what kernal sources that are in portage would you guys recommend to use during the install?

While I'd much rather avoid cedega if I can, I don't mind going either way. With the above mentioned video board in consideration, which is the best route: cedega[d3d/ogl] or wine[ogl]?

Finally, I will still have to dual boot with windows, and since I already have WoW installed, would it be fine to just mount the windows partition and run WoW through wine/cedega that way?

Thanks alot for any advice and information :) .
suineg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonasx wrote:
ConVicTioN wrote:

Tried that, diont think its a opengl problem though. This is just the installer part, that wouldn't need opengl?

edit:

Ok I did a complete rebuild from the cvs and used a default config file i found (very basic)

Code:

WINE REGISTRY Version 2
;; All keys relative to \\Machine\\Software\\Wine\\Wine\\Config

;; WARINING
;; This config file is for base installation.

[wine]
"GraphicsDriver" = "x11drv"; (x11drv, ttydrv)
"Path" = "c:\\windows;c:\\windows\\system"
"Windows" = "c:\\windows"
"System" = "c:\\windows\\system"
"Temp" = "c:\\"
"Profile" = "c:\\windows\\Profiles\\Administrator"

# [wineconf]

[Version]
"Windows" = "win98"

[DllOverrides]
"*" = "builtin, native"

# [/wineconf]

Now i'm getting an error about being out of hard disk space....

okay, didn't catch your post before, this is the exact error message I am getting, which results in the installer window contents not being displayed, this config file, and a rebuild of winecvs did not get rid of it however.

There are a few people with this problem it would seem, so help would be appreciated.
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saa:

I cannot answer all your question - i have an nVidia ;) but few points:
- you should not try to run WoW from windows partition. I tried and failed. Anyway it's better to be safe. I installed it (with cedega) on a ext3 partition and it works fine.
- kernel, not a guru on that, but stable version of gentoo-dev-sources works good (2.6.9).
- mainly try to focus on getting your Xorg working good, resolution and acceleration-wise.
- then follow how-to on first page.

It took time to put it together and find fixes (I gave up several times) but i have been Windows-free for a month now - so it is possible.... and it feels good ;)
Freekazonid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i post it here too, hoping u can help me :)

wow isnt workin here

linux-2.6.9-gentoo-r13
xorg 6.2
ati-drivers 8.8.25
wine 20050211

when i start wow with wine WoW.exe -opengl, it launchs, but with an horrable graphic, with many graphic errors.
however i can login and enter the world, but there the same: many graphic errors, unplayable
giblets
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've tracked down the cause of the random in-game crashes I was experiencing. It appears to be the wine alsa driver. Here's my new config that runs absolutely beautifully:

Code:

WINE REGISTRY Version 2

[version]
"windows"="winxp"

[WinMM]
"Drivers"="wineoss.drv"

[x11drv]
"DXGrab"="Y"

Also, there's been some dsound changes in wine-cvs in the last few days. Might just be me, but the sound seems a lot smoother since, with only the odd glitch. I'm pretty sure that current wine-cvs is good for install-from-scratch right through to hours of gamplay. At least with an nvidia graphics card.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: