GRP Strangeness
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlowell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: GRP Strangeness Reply with quote

OK, I'm trying again. This is a stage 3 install and everything moves swimmingly until:

"If you are going to use GRP, now would be a good time to execute the following commands:

Code listing 9.2: Getting ready for GRP

#mkdir /mnt/gentoo/GRP
#mount -o bind /mnt/cdrom/gentoo/packages mnt/gentoo/GRP"

Here's the output I get from these commands:

"mount: mount point /mnt/gentoo/GRP does not exist" 8O

Where do we go from here. Do we ignore this output and go on?

jlowell
jlowell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please disregard my request for help with this problem. I was able to determine that a typo

#cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc//resolv.conf

had been entered just prior to the command sequence in question. Reentering

#cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf

gets me through

mkdir /mnt/gentoo/GRP (which already had been created)
mount -o bind /mnt/cdrom/gentoo/packages /mnt/gentoo/GRP

without complaint.

The older I get, the more hamfisted I get. :?

jlowell
ih8tgentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did all of the GRP files load properly? How did you do it? Did you list all the list.txt files in one statement or one at a time. When I put them all on one line, Gnome-list.txt doesn't install because it says that a file that is trying to install is not in the portage tree. The whole install stops after about 10 seconds of file copying. Re-running the command says that XF86free, KDE and Mozilla have already been installed. Gentoo is supposed to be fast, but not that fast!

Cfdisk and try again, this time one at a time. Gnome is still screwed, the others look like they load OK. I ran each list.txt file twice just to make sure. Sure enough, both XF86free and Mozilla installed some more files the second time. A 3rd time said that everything was installed.

I am having major problems installing Gentoo and amtrying to determine if I did anything wrong or not. Have you had similar experiences?
jlowell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ih8tgentoo,

I'm in the middle of this installation right now, having just run

#emerge -u world

and, clearly, I'm going to have lots of time to respond to you. :)

This is my second try at a Gentoo install, the first one having run aground because of my inexperience with certain of the programs used in the installation process, menuconfig, for example. I have my fingers crossed, naturally, but one way or another I'll get it on. Happily, there would seem to be many cheerful and helpful people here. That's certainly a plus, particularly so when with some Linux mailing lists being loathsome and abusive seems to get a certain pride of place. Anyway, the trouble I had earlier had nothing to do with files loading, rather it had to do with a mount command I'd previously compromised with a typo so I'm not sure what I might tell you that would be helpful at least right now.

While I'm probably telling you something you already know, persistence is a virtue in things of this kind, persistence and patience. Unless its something wholly out of the ordinary you'll get your problem solved.

jlowell
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: