Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
ubuntu refuge - will wifi be easier with Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yippe01
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: ubuntu refuge - will wifi be easier with Gentoo? Reply with quote

The wireless with ubuntu has been giving me fits. I'll get it working, only to have the dang thing go down again with an upgrade. This has happened repeatedly. I have an hp dv6700 and the wireless has never "Just worked". I don't get it, because when I finally get a fix in, the upgrade hoses it, this happens repeatedly. Isn't there some way they could just lock in the config.??

Please tell me the Gentoo folks have their act together regarding wifi, because I don't want to stop using Linux, but this constant administration is eating away my time.

My card is an Atheros, btw.
Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:001c] (rev 01
albright
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Please tell me the Gentoo folks have their act together regarding wifi, because I don't want to stop using Linux, but this constant administration is eating away my time.

I don't know about wifi in your case, but if you don't love admin, I'm not sure
gentoo is for you :wink:
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically agree with albright. If you want something that is more stable over time, you might be interested in Debian. Gentoo changes a lot and these changes sometimes break things.

- John
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Linux kernel the ath5k driver should work, otherwise use the madwifi (emerge madwifi).
bobspencer123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got to say I agree with first two posters. It you don't like breakage then Gentoo is probably not for you. Gentoo is rolling distro which means lots of updates and sometimes lot's of fixes. Now, the good news is that Gentoo has a wonderful community which will almost always have the answer to your problem but it does take time to troubleshoot.

Just a side note ... have you tried using networkmanager for wifi? I just started using this on my laptop and find it to be great.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ubuntu refuge - will wifi be easier with Gentoo? Reply with quote

Yippe01 wrote:
The wireless with ubuntu has been giving me fits. I'll get it working, only to have the dang thing go down again with an upgrade. This has happened repeatedly. I have an hp dv6700 and the wireless has never "Just worked". I don't get it, because when I finally get a fix in, the upgrade hoses it, this happens repeatedly. Isn't there some way they could just lock in the config.??

My card is an Atheros, btw.
Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:001c] (rev 01

It sounds like you want RHEL 6:

http://www.redhat.com/rhel/desktop/
Yippe01
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't hate admin, but it seems like, with the age and ubiquity of my card, wifi should not break with almost every upgrade. That being said, there are an amazing number of packages for Ubuntu, and an awesome community that, at least at the forums, is rarely rude. It's just I might really need to use my wireless due to work, and I feel hosed because I wiped Windows clean, and nobody seems concerned with wifi "just working", which is kinda what need to happen for my future work needs.

Anyway, thanks for the honest input. Maybe I do need to check out RHEL6.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yippe01 wrote:
I don't hate admin, but it seems like, with the age and ubiquity of my card, wifi should not break with almost every upgrade. That being said, there are an amazing number of packages for Ubuntu, and an awesome community that, at least at the forums, is rarely rude. It's just I might really need to use my wireless due to work, and I feel hosed because I wiped Windows clean, and nobody seems concerned with wifi "just working", which is kinda what need to happen for my future work needs.

Anyway, thanks for the honest input. Maybe I do need to check out RHEL6.

I saw the pricing for RHEL and while RHEL should provide what you want, the pricing might make you want to consider alternatives to it. Here are some suggestions.

CentOS is a RHEL clone and the CentOS people are notorious for their apathy to others' problems. RHEL is great when you have it because you have a company with hundreds of paid developers working to make sure that everything is perfect for you. Unfortunately, as I just realized, it is expensive. Even though the software is functionally identical, I highly recommend avoiding CentOS. Fedora is another option, as it is also made by RedHat and Linus Torvalds uses it, but it is a testing ground for features before they go into RHEL and RedHat does not guarantee that they will fix problems that you have with it in a timely manner, so while it is an option, it would not address your issue as much as RHEL would. That is the case for most things, but I have a few more distributions to mention.

Since you used Ubuntu, you might like Linux Mint. I understand that they generally have things in a more usable state than Canonical does with Ubuntu and since it is Ubuntu-based, your familiarity with Ubuntu would make it easier to learn. Another option would be Sabayon Linux.. The Sabayon people are really nice, but they short-staffed and and while they are always happy to help, there is no guarantee that things will work. They extremely courteous and generally helpful in their IRC channel, so short of paying for RHEL support, Sabayon Linux is another good option.

To put things into perspective, major Linux distributions fall into a few basic families and distributions within a family tend to share many of the same strengths and weaknesses. Ubuntu Linux, Linux Mint et al are derived from Debian. RHEL, Fedora and CentOS originated from RedHat Linux. Gentoo Linux was made from scratch after RedHat Linux and Debian Linux were made, so it was able to avoid many of the design flaws of other distributions. At the same time, Gentoo Linux is intended for enthusiasts. The average user that wants things to work without going under the hood so to speak would probably not like Gentoo Linux. Sabayon Linux is based on Gentoo Linux and it is much better geared toward the average PC user.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: