Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Howto: Gentoo Ricing 183%
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3313

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
And please don't forget... In order to get a real fast and really uber-1337 installation, make sure you install as many ebuilds as possible from this forum.

wtf, i've been on these forums for years and years now and i've never seen that!!! I've seen the mods/admin forum more times than that!
_________________
Since the bible and the church are obviously mistaken about where we came from, how can we trust them with where we're going?

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mystilleef
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Apr 2003
Posts: 561
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...okay...stop making fun of me guys.

/me grumbles bloody sellouts!
_________________
simple, sleek and sexy text editor for gnome

"My logic is undeniable."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t


Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Posts: 708
Location: USA, Michigan.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, heres some compile tests using the towers of hanoi benchmark. It compares using the i386 march to i686 aswell as comparing -Os to -O2 and other optomizations. I use -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -march=i386 -mcpu=i386 for my C/CXXFLAGS.

Benchmark: http://www.dcaf-security.org/compile-test-1.txt
_________________
System: predatorbox
Distro: Arch Linux x86_64
Current projects: blackhole, convmedia and anything else I cook up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 27 Oct 2003
Posts: 1246
Location: C.C.A.A., Germania

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use -static. We hate libraries. Hds are big and redundant code isn't a problem, but loading times suck, so get rid of libraries and stuff everything into the executable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Posts: 1719
Location: In Hiding

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrakashP wrote:
Use -static. We hate libraries. Hds are big and redundant code isn't a problem, but loading times suck, so get rid of libraries and stuff everything into the executable.

Leave that one out. That's not what the static flag does.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 17 Nov 2002
Posts: 6377
Location: Graz / EU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehm ciaranm you realize this thread is full of misinformation already? :twisted:
_________________
Dinosaur week! (Ok, this thread is so last week)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Posts: 1719
Location: In Hiding

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amne wrote:
Ehm ciaranm you realize this thread is full of misinformation already? :twisted:

There's a difference between daft ricer misinformation and just being plain incorrect...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 27 Oct 2003
Posts: 1246
Location: C.C.A.A., Germania

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm is it really that wrong? I thought as long as you have static laibraries (.a) and link an executable with -static all code from static libs get into the executable - which is basically what I proclaimed. I know that not all libs are built static, but well. ;)

Last edited by PrakashP on Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Posts: 5142
Location: Anaheim, CA (USA)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrakashP wrote:
Hmm is it really that wrong? I thought as long as you have static laibraries (.a) and link an executable with -static all code from static libs get into the executable - which is basically what I proclaimed. I know that not all libs are build static, but well. ;)
add "static" to your USE flags and ad "-static" to your LDFLAGS :wink:
_________________
~~ Peter: Brony, GNU/Linux geek, caffeine addict, and Free Software advocate.
Who am I? :: EFF & FSF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 17 Nov 2002
Posts: 6377
Location: Graz / EU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most useful tools has been completely forgotten:
app-benchmarks/acovea. Acovea never lies! Best used without thinking twice what this actually does and how it works. I did emerge -e world with the flags it gave me and my system feels at least 1,4% faster now. ;)
_________________
Dinosaur week! (Ok, this thread is so last week)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t


Joined: 08 Sep 2004
Posts: 889
Location: Denver, CO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amne wrote:
One of the most useful tools has been completely forgotten:
app-benchmarks/acovea. Acovea never lies! Best used without thinking twice what this actually does and how it works. I did emerge -e world with the flags it gave me and my system feels at least 1,4% faster now. ;)


That is definitely a good one. You should run it with lots of stuff going on so you get your system optimized for a dirty environment and I would run it only once since it is so reliable.
_________________
Registered Linux user# 375038.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wilburpan
l33t
l33t


Joined: 21 Jan 2003
Posts: 977

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In defense of acovea, I've found that the best thing acovea did for my system was give me a set of very stable CFLAGS. I used to use -O2 and/or -Os, but there always would be some package that would break while compiling.

Here's my CFLAGS, generated by acovea:

Code:
CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O2 -mno-align-stringops -minline-all-stringops -fno-crossjumping -fmove-all-movables -mno-push-args -fno-delayed-branch -fno-thread-jumps -fno-defer-pop -Wall -pipe"


Which seems like at first glance that I'm uber-ricing my machine, but on closer inspection will show that I've actually got my CFLAGS somewhere between -O1 and -O2. -O1.5, if you will.
:D

I would highly recommend that if you decide to run acovea, that you do so when you're on vacation.
_________________
I'm only hanging out in OTW until I get rid of this stupid l33t ranking.....Crap. That didn't work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t


Joined: 08 Sep 2004
Posts: 889
Location: Denver, CO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilburpan wrote:
In defense of acovea, I've found that the best thing acovea did for my system was give me a set of very stable CFLAGS. I used to use -O2 and/or -Os, but there always would be some package that would break while compiling.

Here's my CFLAGS, generated by acovea:

Code:
CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O2 -mno-align-stringops -minline-all-stringops -fno-crossjumping -fmove-all-movables -mno-push-args -fno-delayed-branch -fno-thread-jumps -fno-defer-pop -Wall -pipe"


Which seems like at first glance that I'm uber-ricing my machine, but on closer inspection will show that I've actually got my CFLAGS somewhere between -O1 and -O2. -O1.5, if you will.
:D

I would highly recommend that if you decide to run acovea, that you do so when you're on vacation.


I have used acovea. I just feel the results it gave me were not very good. So I decided to go back to very conservative CFLAGS.
_________________
Registered Linux user# 375038.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stonent
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 07 Aug 2003
Posts: 1139
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All uber ricers have to expand their CFLAGS especially when filing a bug report.

Code:
-march=pentium3 -O2 -pipe


-O2 should become:

Code:
-fdefer-pop -fdelayed-branch -fguess-branch-probability -fcprop-registers -floop-optimize -fif-conversion -fif-conversion2 -ftree-ccp -ftree-dce -ftree-dom -ftree-dse -ftree-ter -ftree-live_range_split -ftree-sra -ftree-copyrename -ftree-fre -ftree-ch -fmerge-constants -fthread-jumps -fcrossjumping -foptimize-sibling-calls -fcse-follow-jumps  -fcse-skip-blocks -fgcse  -fgcse-lm -fexpensive-optimizations -fstrength-reduce -frerun-cse-after-loop  -frerun-loop-opt -fcaller-saves -fforce-mem -fpeephole2 -fschedule-insns  -fschedule-insns2 -fsched-interblock -fsched-spec -fregmove -fstrict-aliasing -fdelete-null-pointer-checks -freorder-blocks  -freorder-functions -funit-at-a-time -falign-functions  -falign-jumps -falign-loops  -falign-labels -ftree-pre

_________________
Inspiron 4100 & Sun UltraAXe
Portage on Solaris|Dell Laptop Hacks
The way you feel about organized religion is the same way I feel about organized socialism.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t


Joined: 08 Sep 2004
Posts: 889
Location: Denver, CO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonent wrote:
All uber ricers have to expand their CFLAGS especially when filing a bug report.

Code:
-march=pentium3 -O2 -pipe


-O2 should become:

Code:
-fdefer-pop -fdelayed-branch -fguess-branch-probability -fcprop-registers -floop-optimize -fif-conversion -fif-conversion2 -ftree-ccp -ftree-dce -ftree-dom -ftree-dse -ftree-ter -ftree-live_range_split -ftree-sra -ftree-copyrename -ftree-fre -ftree-ch -fmerge-constants -fthread-jumps -fcrossjumping -foptimize-sibling-calls -fcse-follow-jumps  -fcse-skip-blocks -fgcse  -fgcse-lm -fexpensive-optimizations -fstrength-reduce -frerun-cse-after-loop  -frerun-loop-opt -fcaller-saves -fforce-mem -fpeephole2 -fschedule-insns  -fschedule-insns2 -fsched-interblock -fsched-spec -fregmove -fstrict-aliasing -fdelete-null-pointer-checks -freorder-blocks  -freorder-functions -funit-at-a-time -falign-functions  -falign-jumps -falign-loops  -falign-labels -ftree-pre


I would prefer to have my real make.conf and then a make.conf to use to file a bug report. It can't be the CFLAGS so why give them the correct CFLAGS information in the first place.
_________________
Registered Linux user# 375038.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nephros
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 07 Feb 2003
Posts: 2137
Location: Graz, Austria (Europe - no kangaroos.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo_lan wrote:
I would prefer to have my real make.conf and then a make.conf to use to file a bug report. It can't be the CFLAGS so why give them the correct CFLAGS information in the first place.


Thanks for getting on-topic again.

You are correct, but filing bug reports with empty CFLAGS will make those devs suspicious. Worse, they might even ask you to set the dreaded -g flag and not use the strip option...


BTW, doing this:
find /etc/ -type f -exec sed -i '/^#.*/d' \;
will make every app that reads configs from there go faster because they have to read less comments, which they discard anyway!
Remember you will have to run this after every etc-update again, so you might want to make this a cron job too!
(( Note: it will also break your init scripts and others, but hey, rebooting is for wimps anyway! ))
_________________
Please put [SOLVED] in your topic if you are a moron.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WaterSoul
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 158

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god, this topic rocks!! I'll try the uber ricer opts on a few apps :)
but I guess some won't work on my amd64 ^^

really good job there!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
discomfitor
l33t
l33t


Joined: 21 Feb 2003
Posts: 927
Location: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nephros wrote:

BTW, doing this:
find /etc/ -type f -exec sed -i '/^#.*/d' \;
will make every app that reads configs from there go faster because they have to read less comments, which they discard anyway!
Remember you will have to run this after every etc-update again, so you might want to make this a cron job too!
(( Note: it will also break your init scripts and others, but hey, rebooting is for wimps anyway! ))


I like it. And when I get some time (swamped with wine/WoW/actual work stuff now) I'll put it in along with some other entertaining bits.
_________________
There is no substitute for experience.
Imperfection indicates a lack of effort.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dcrook
n00b
n00b


Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Posts: 71

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
nephros wrote:

BTW, doing this:
find /etc/ -type f -exec sed -i '/^#.*/d' \;
will make every app that reads configs from there go faster because they have to read less comments, which they discard anyway!
Remember you will have to run this after every etc-update again, so you might want to make this a cron job too!
(( Note: it will also break your init scripts and others, but hey, rebooting is for wimps anyway! ))


I like it. And when I get some time (swamped with wine/WoW/actual work stuff now) I'll put it in along with some other entertaining bits.


While you are at it, add something to strip the comments from all the shell, python and perl scripts from the system. That should make them all go extra fast since the interpreter won't have to waste time reading comments.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
groovin
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Feb 2004
Posts: 429
Location: California, USA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the spirit of funroll-loops?? it seems to me that the funroll guys put that page up humourously but also with some malice towards gentoo... yeah its funny, but i think they really meant some parts of it to insult gentoo and the community. so, with that, id say its not in the spirit of funroll...

* i havent visited their site since it first went up, and i dont remember them ever saying the whole is a big joke, nor have i spoke to them so i might be wrong and it is just a big funny joke. my bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nadir-san
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 May 2004
Posts: 174
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, definately, I figure they dont appreciate what it's all about, they are basically just being negative, when gentoo is a positive experience :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
discomfitor
l33t
l33t


Joined: 21 Feb 2003
Posts: 927
Location: None

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "in the spirit of funroll-loops", I meant the humorous aspect. I don't really care if they're mocking us as a community or not, the fact remains that they are correct about ricing. The purpose of this is to (hopefully) turn people away from ricing, just as funroll-loops should do.
_________________
There is no substitute for experience.
Imperfection indicates a lack of effort.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3313

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dammit people, personally I just laugh at the people who laugh at gentoo, i can sit back safe in the knowlege that they are pathetic trying to argue about what distro I use!!!!!!! I've used russian distros before so im not worried.

I love gentoo because, lets face it, im lazy and i cant be bothered with the problems i got with mandrake, and to a lesser extent fedora and debian.
_________________
Since the bible and the church are obviously mistaken about where we came from, how can we trust them with where we're going?

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wjholden
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Mar 2004
Posts: 825
Location: Augusta, GA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nephros wrote:
BTW, doing this:
find /etc/ -type f -exec sed -i '/^#.*/d' \;
will make every app that reads configs from there go faster because they have to read less comments, which they discard anyway!
Remember you will have to run this after every etc-update again, so you might want to make this a cron job too!
(( Note: it will also break your init scripts and others, but hey, rebooting is for wimps anyway! ))

Code:
#/bin/bash
emerge sync
emerge --depclean world
emerge -vDeUN world
revdep-rebuild
chmod 500 -R /etc/init.d/
find /etc/ -type f -exec sed -i '/^#.*/d' \;
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Posts: 1719
Location: In Hiding

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

destuxor wrote:
Code:
#/bin/bash
emerge sync
emerge --depclean world
emerge -vDeUN world
revdep-rebuild
chmod 500 -R /etc/init.d/
find /etc/ -type f -exec sed -i '/^#.*/d' \;

If you don't want to break your init scripts, use sed address ranges. 2,$ should 'work'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum