View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liquid Nitrogen cooled C2D overclocked to 10Ghz!!..
Kate Monster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funroll-loops.org appears to be down
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

animefreak wrote:

Happens when you rice a server. ;)
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
animefreak wrote:

Happens when you rice a server. ;)

Think he actually tried -fomg-optimize?
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably.
n0n3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Darckness!
I think that every linux user who saw this extra blazing CFLAG on top secret site should be aware of this and save her/him self and others a lot of troubles.
This is related not only to gentoo users but to everyone who plays with compiler/linker flags (and floods tons of bug-raports coz *F**cked s**t don't work*).
Plying with diffrent flags is ok becouse it's a good way too learn but:
1. Be aware about the consequences
2. don't do it blind - one flag a time, read the doc's before actually using it.
3. If something is not working don't report bugs *especially when on bug-report page is writen DO NOT SUPPLY BUGS WITH CUSTOM CFLAGS,CXXFLAGS.....*

My proposision:
If you want stabile system (I do that's why I use Linux) use SAFE CFLAGS
Don't mess with something you don't have any idea. And if you do check that info you have from this top secret site is correct.

Happy stabile Linux/Gentoo user on a few computers at home... (my home firewall/server was restarted 2 times 1st time failure, 2nd kernel update it runs 89 days now...)

(my opinion but be aware that i'm still a n00b ]:-> )
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that there is a variable missing from the guide!

There must be a troll to tell you that your settings are insane and completely unstable. Without this, you can't sneer and say, "I'm so hardcore! I trade stability for speed."
swarmofkillermonkeys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Geezer Wheezes... Reply with quote

(lol! nice job on the guide)

You durn kids and yer yellow stickers!

Why, I remember back on the day... back in ought-two... we used ta have ta emerge world. TWICE. Before each email! And we LIKED IT! Consern-it, every goll-dern user had ta host their own repository. And rsync by hand... using just a shovel 'n the sweat 'o their brow! And we LIKED IT!

Yep... you see, back in them times, all the major distros was bi-nary i386, with no SSE, 3DNow!, or nothin'. Thems was some rough times, all right. Now where did I put the... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

:roll: <sermon mode="off-topic" type="obnoxious">
BTW, 'ricers' is not a racist term. It applies to an originally California (American) culture that is racially diverse, although the preponderance of the individuals in that culture when it began seemed to be named 'Biff' or 'Kip' and have fair skin and enough money to do much better than a superficial "yellow stickers=goes faster". This culture happened to value Japanese-made cars above all others when bolting on misshapen lumps of fiberglass, coffee can sized mufflers, and the obligatory sticker-fest. While it may show a tragic lack of imagination on the part of other Americans, apparently 'rice-burners' was the best they could do to describe these cars -- somehow mocking their fuel efficient tenancies as well. (FWIW, rice IS extremely important to Japan. In Japanese the word rice - gohan - means meal, was once used as currency, and figured prominently in ancient Japan's spirituality. Why is that racist or shameful?) Of course, this author has never, EVER, installed an filter and super-l33t spark plugs to make his Honda Accord go faster. Er....yes, never. Ahem. Anyway, the reason the term became derogatory is that normal citizens become annoyed when these extremely loud and buzzy vehicles would surround them on their daily commute, all constantly at 7999 rpm. If you take two dentist drills, shove one in each ear, then turn them on full, it should simulate the experience for you.

In my part of the country it was 'rednecks' with jacked up trucks on tractor tires and cut-off exhaust system (again this author would never put floatation tires on a '78 Blazer with a huge carb and only have headers for exhaust: honest), or 'hogs' that rode Harleys with glass-pack, amplifier mufflers. We Americans are just weird about identity, cars, and attention.

Now, it turns out, this may someday be a very valid comparison, as American 'corn-burning' SUVs take the road. Hey, if it makes you feel better, the next time you see someone gassing up in an Iowa farm-town's ethanol station... call 'em a 'cornie'. They're generally pretty proud of being corn growers.
</sermon>

-Grandpappy Monkey
Don-DiZzLe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so if i understood the first page right I have to put this in my make.conf right?

CFLAGS="-09 -march=k8 -pipe=65536 -funroll-every-loop -mrice -mabi=rice -omg-optimized --disable-all-instructions
-DREENABLE_FAST_EXECUTION"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -muse-gcc
LDFLAGS="-04 -static -Rsymbols"
CTARGET="i8086-pc-linux-gnu-speed"
CBUILD="${CTARGET}"
CHOST="${CTARGET}"
PORTAGE_NICENESS="-19"
Prospero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy 2nd year anniversary to this thread btw, bit late but still.

Don-DiZzLe: Yes, /etc/make.conf should do it, and don't forget to add the following rule to your crontab:

Code:
*/5 * * * * root    emerge --sync && emerge -uD world
JuNix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prospero: I added the line to crontab, but now all the gentoo rsync servers say I'm banned, and there are a lot of angry Gentoo developers standing at the bottom of my drive holding pitchforks and burning torches.

I heard a rumour saying the best way to sup3e1mpr0v3 your gentoo box was to turn your cpu fan off and do while true; do emerge -e world; done :-)
and if you run DEFRAG.EXE under wine it will actually optimise your \root
Akkara
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some rockin' CFLAGS while perusing the gcc manual that could really give that extra final boost to a system and make it run like never before!

-Wunused-macros -Werror - helps make sure everything that's there is really used! Nothing wasted!

-fpreprocessed - "Indicate to the preprocessor that the input file has already been preprocessed." -- great for saving time on that second round of ultimate speed-fixating emerge -e world since it's already been preprocessed!

-traditional-cpp - we all know the old one was written back in the golden age of C without all the bloat that's going in software these days, so enable this to tune in all that old-time fast-code goodness right into your apps!

There's a bunch more, but hey a true ricer doesn't spill all their secrets!

Good Luck!

Just Kidding!!
wuzzerd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akkara wrote:

-traditional-cpp - we all know the old one was written back in the golden age of C without all the bloat that's going in software these days, so enable this to tune in all that old-time fast-code goodness right into your apps!

You've got to be kidding. It has been proven many times that the flag -ffortran-only avoids all the problems with c, iff it is used with
-simulate-card-deck.
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SampleProjectTemplate wrote:
Oracular Optimization

GCC currently uses a number of techniques for generating optimal code, including peephole optimization, instruction scheduling, loop unrolling, and other similar techniques. All of these techniques are known to suffer from the fact that they do not always generate truly optimal code; they are just heuristics. We plan to improve GCC by generating perfectly optimal code for all input programs by taking advantag of a simple technique explained in every undergraduate automata theory course: using an oracle. By using an oracle that knows the right answer, we can generate much better code. There will be a small penalty in compilation time, since the oracle sometimes takes a long time to answer, so this optimization will only be enabled with -Ooo (Optimize with Oracular Optimization).

Ricers heaven: -Ooo :wink:
Vlad.Sharp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope they don't use a random Oracle :P

Last edited by Vlad.Sharp on Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zxy wrote:
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SampleProjectTemplate wrote:
Oracular Optimization

GCC currently uses a number of techniques for generating optimal code, including peephole optimization, instruction scheduling, loop unrolling, and other similar techniques. All of these techniques are known to suffer from the fact that they do not always generate truly optimal code; they are just heuristics. We plan to improve GCC by generating perfectly optimal code for all input programs by taking advantag of a simple technique explained in every undergraduate automata theory course: using an oracle. By using an oracle that knows the right answer, we can generate much better code. There will be a small penalty in compilation time, since the oracle sometimes takes a long time to answer, so this optimization will only be enabled with -Ooo (Optimize with Oracular Optimization).

Ricers heaven: -Ooo :wink:

I tried this flag with a very experimental checkout of gcc.

I did an emerge -e world. And it is great!
Box boots in 2 seconds! KDE is so fast that I am logged out before I recognize that I am logged in! And everything works! I don't need to type - the apps guess my wishes and react accordingly!

Amazing!

But you have to sacrifice two goats, a virgin and an unbaptized first born son, or it won't work. And the neighbours are not happy about that :(

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
Unobtanium
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please excuse an ignorant newb question - but does/can this work for SATA HDDs?

Quote:
Hard Drive Ricing:
Another little-known form of ricing is that of the hard drive. As many of you know, a hard drive is a mystical device that was created by Odin to aid mortals in the fight against Chaos. What you probably don't know is that there are tools you can use to make your hard drive run 80%-120% faster with no downside!

What you'll need is a program called hdparm which you can emerge because it's in portage. Once it's installed, edit this line in the file /etc/conf.d/hdparm:
Code:
all_args=""

to
Code:
all_args="-d2 -X99 -m1024 --speedread"

This does the following:
-d2 - turns on ultradma
-X99 - sudma10 mode, normally hidden away unless you buy a really expensive hard drive
-m1024 - moves blocks in very large chunks to speed up drive functions
--speedread - causes the drive to only read the middle of the data because it knows what the edges say anyway

Once you enable these settings, you'll probably feel like a rocket has been strapped to your computer!
IRQsRFun
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: How about --as-needed Reply with quote

This is a psudo serious question. Could the linker option --as-needed be considered a ricer option for a gnetoo linker flag? I do see its potential value for individual packages, but I have some doubts using it in /etc/make.conf.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: How about --as-needed Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Vlad.Sharp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: How about --as-needed Reply with quote

IRQsRFun wrote:
This is a psudo serious question. Could the linker option --as-needed be considered a ricer option for a gnetoo linker flag? I do see its potential value for individual packages, but I have some doubts using it in /etc/make.conf.

Well, philosophically - it's not a ricer flag at all. With binutils 2.18 out, hopefully the reality will become the same. :)

There are some problems with packages, but from a programmer's perspective, those are bugs in the application (or quirks, or features but hey!) not the linker's or a user's fault.
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--punch-card-math

A true ricer doesn't let their computer components sit around wasting electricity and not contributing to your frame-rate in Nethack. With --punch-card-math, gcc taps into the computing potential of your printer and scanner. In a constant (unrolled) loop, your printer spits out punch cards, which you feed into your scanner. This tried-and-tested method for computation takes a portion of the workload off your CPU. As an added bonus, if you have a color printer, it will print flames on the punch-cards. However, it may be necessary to water cool your scanner to account for this.
dritan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was hilarious...but you should be careful though...you never know if someone is stupid enough <cough>NOT</cough> to follow your ricing guide....then you might get into some legal BS for screwing people's apaches, so I say make a huge disclaimer at the top!

Please try to help answer the unanswered
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://emerg.syslog.com/~jwilson/pics-i-like/aerodynamics.jpg
http://www.syslog.com/~jwilson/pics-i-like/air-con.jpg
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does my Kia count as a ricer car? It was made in Korea...
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necro!

But I think right now, Korean cars have been "riced" and is pretty much on car list by now. However I wonder, when we do see Chinese and Indian cars, whether they will be "rice cars" list or not... or will they simply be death traps...

They probably will be very light at least... and weight is something that "go fast" wants to do without...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: