Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT'S BACK!

That's right. The thread that everyone knows and loves is back, this time with a vengeance. Okay, maybe it's got more of a mean streak, not a vengeance. Fine, it's just a little bit irritated. But you'd better not DON'T POKE AT IT, YOU FOOL!

Anyway. It's been a while since I updated this (I know I said I'd update it a year ago, and I still intend to), and there are more tools than ever to promote ricery. Let's get some ideas going here again.
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fearofcorners wrote:
I cringe whenever I hear "ricer". It is a racist term directed at if not japanese people at least japanese-made cars.
Maybye that's the linguistic origin, but I certainly didn't know that. The term's taken on a life of it's own.
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
CFLAGS="... -minclude-cpu-smoke ..."

ROFL ... everyone knows electronics don't work after you let the Special Smoke out, so if you can pack in MORE smoke...!

I read about half the thread--did anyone ever suggest hard drive ricing, or is it all just code?
Code:
hdparm -n1 -p9 -D0 -a512 -m128 -u1 -ono-redline /dev/hdz

-n1 - ignore write errors, I save all files twice anyway
-p9 - use PIO mode 9 (of six...), it must be faster, right?
-D0 - don't waste my time replacing bad sectors with spares
-a512 - read ahead .... read WAY ahead
-m128 - do multi-sector I/O in nice big chunks!
-u1 - ... and while you're at it, don't keep other interrupts waiting
-ono-redline - let drive spin up to its "natural" top speed, not the arbitrary limit (5400rpm, 7200rpm, ...) set by warranty-conscious manufacturers

And of course don't forget to add ide0=autotune ide1=autotune idebus=66 to the kernel command line!
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know one of these days i'm going to build a gentoo system with all this.

I cant believe that it's been 18 months since i contributed to the first page and i haven't tried anything yet
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-O49... pff... what is this, debian?

How about -OMGWTFBBQ?
Matteo Azzali
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Plin Plon*

Just a little note about stability I'm not sure anyone had pointed out before:
the more you rice your system, the more you're on your own when you (and only you) get a bug.

Testers/maintainers are not supposed to test any "rice combination", and that would be a so huge load
of work we would need 10 times the actual number of maintainers/testers. So when a really severe bug
(DE not starting, Xorg not starting, etc.etc.) hits your system, if you know you riced your system
in every bit, please don't immediately start a bugreport (but if someone else starts one, you may confirm
that).
As you can see also in the forum, general solution for these kinds of issue is 99% in config files or in
messed cflags, or similar kinds of issues. So starting a report for something we can't replicate and
the 99% of users will never confirm you'll just waste precious developing/maintaining time.

Being on a "common-like" system means instead your reports will almost always be confirmed in no time
(catching maintainers attention), and probably replicated with ease (granting a faster fix).
Chaosite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corona688 wrote:
fearofcorners wrote:
I cringe whenever I hear "ricer". It is a racist term directed at if not japanese people at least japanese-made cars.
Maybye that's the linguistic origin, but I certainly didn't know that. The term's taken on a life of it's own.

"Ricer" did originate from Japanese cars. It refers to a person buying a (usually Japanese) car, making no modifications to the engine or any internal part of the car, but adding a body kit, stickers, and neon lights. Because it makes the car "look faster". It is slightly racist, but its not directed towards Japanese people or Japanese cars, but the people who do such things to their cars.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaosite wrote:
Corona688 wrote:
fearofcorners wrote:

"Ricer" did originate from Japanese cars. It refers to a person buying a (usually Japanese) car, making no modifications to the engine or any internal part of the car, but adding a body kit, stickers, and neon lights. Because it makes the car "look faster". It is slightly racist, but its not directed towards Japanese people or Japanese cars, but the people who do such things to their cars.
It originated from Japanese people buying and doing that to their cars because ricer comes from "rice-eater". Apart from that you got everything else right
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget the UBER optimized kernel with at least 1000+ patches:

Code:
emerge 2.6.19-rc6-mm4-ck1-rt1

The key to creating this patch set is to take the time to Google kernel patches for at least a day, and download every single one. Make sure to mix in a bunch of low latency patches with some patches that add overhead. Use quilt to make them all work together, ya know, sometimes you forget to merge the .rej, but that's no big deal, because the secret is all in the marketing. Take any given little known patch and announce it as a new super optimizing feature!

Topic: 2.6.19-rc6-mm4-ck1-rt1: Da Freakin' Awesome Ninja Race Superstar! | NOW WITH THE UBER-CACHE-PATCH!

Moments later the comments on the patch will start arriving...

Ricer1: "OMG, this kernel is faster than any kernel that I have ever used."

(What's funny about Ricer1, is that he says that every release.)

Dev1: "This is just completely nuttery."

(What Dev1 doesn't release is ricers thrive off of nuttery. Patch set popularity multiplies.)

Ricer2: "It broke."

(Ricer2 pastes 3 page error message.)

Ricer3: "NO IT DIDN'T, USER ERROR! WORKS GREAT HERE! WHEN WE GET 2.6.20-rc1-mm1-ck0-rt4? I HEARD THAT THE DEVS WERE THINKING ABOUT IT."

Ricer4: "Does not compile with GCC 4.3.10312008 or Glibc 2.6.9-beta12"
wah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read all 8 pages of this and cried my eyes out with laughter...my co-workers came by to see what the fuss was about...but they're not l33t ricers like this, no it made so sense to them.

I've seen many references to -omg, but none to -omfg-pwned-n00b or -fastandfurious-tokyodrift - why the exclude? I'm using this on 2.8.24-l33tgentoo-r29.5 with most of the patches and options mentioned above, but I guess you need the secret SSH key to the Russian Hacker's Lair to utilize this.

@Vipernicus,
Don't forget Ricer5's response:

RICER5 - bah gentoo, not l33t enough, use debian 5.0-secret edition, fsck you all!
<RICER5 then proceeds to start a new thread in Gentoo Chat called "Why I'm Leaving Gentoo">

@cokehabit,
Still like the avatar, but the old one was the bomb!

Classic material folks - happy ricing!

Cheers,
W.
- Registered Linux User #418541
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard drive ricing made the cut, and so did a few other things that I'm working with. Probably another update soon.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Howto: Gentoo Ricing 183% Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
Hard Drive Ricing:
Another little-known form of ricing is that of the hard drive. As many of you know, a hard drive is a mystical device that was created by Odin to aid mortals in the fight against Chaos. What you probably don't know is that there are tools you can use to make your hard drive run 80%-120% faster with no downside!

What you'll need is a program called hdparm which you can emerge because it's in portage. Once it's installed, edit this line in the file /etc/conf.d/hdparm:
Code:
all_args=""

to
Code:
all_args="-d2 -X99 -m1024 --speedread"

This does the following:
-d2 - turns on ultradma
-X99 - sudma10 mode, normally hidden away unless you buy a really expensive hard drive
-m1024 - moves blocks in very large chunks to speed up drive functions
--speedread - causes the drive to only read the middle of the data because it knows what the edges say anyway

Once you enable these settings, you'll probably feel like a rocket has been strapped to your computer!

You forgot --no-safety. We true ricers know that hard drives have a safety mechanism that keeps drives from spinning too fast...
Enverex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

red-wolf76 wrote:
SirYes wrote:
... Just remember to add USE="pic" ...
Just to be sure, I'm not missing out on some k3w1 basmati here: "pic" does stand for "prelinking insane combinations", right? :lol:

In peoples defense, the Gentoo Prelink guide (Gentoo.org, not Wiki) TOLD you to put pic in your USE flags.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In defense of stability-

LDFLAGS are a great opt, and they don't seem to blunder your system like alot of the other --fomg-FASTER settings.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
LDFLAGS are a great opt, and they don't seem to blunder your system like alot of the other --fomg-FASTER settings.

Yeah, right.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
Dralnu wrote:

Yeah, right.
I say this from personal experiance. With Qt compiled with my LDFLAGS (LDFlAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common"), along with the deletion of the cache for Opera, I got its start time down to ~1 second, as opposed to the traditional ~9 seconds.

My system hasn't royally been mucked up with it, either (I keep them defined under LDFLAGS, I don't mess with them in my CLFAGS settings).

But again, this is my experiance. I don't go overboard with my CLFAGS (your basic setup w/ -fomit-frame-pointer), and I don't try to fsck with my hard drive (yet. No spares atm, lol).
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep in mind that I'm directing this at the sane people out there. For others, there is simply no hope.
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
Dralnu wrote:

Yeah, right.

That bug never fails to crack me up, and usually makes me self-consciously check my CFLAGS (though they've not changed in years). :lol:
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timeBandit wrote:
nightmorph wrote:
Dralnu wrote:

Yeah, right.

That bug never fails to crack me up, and usually makes me self-consciously check my CFLAGS (though they've not changed in years). :lol:
That bug is pretty much legendary. The all caps response I think is key to its effects on the rest of us sane ricers
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
Please keep in mind that I'm directing this at the sane people out there. For others, there is simply no hope.
Code:
CTARGET="bluegene cray"

Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about adding in a section about hardware, like 10K+ hdds? (we all know about the hdpart section, might as well add in the cooresponding hard ware to look for, like a 30K RPM hdd...)
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New in the need for speed section, you must use the following app, it speeds up everythig, because bash is slow and everything uses it at least to start.
Install now: sys-speed/bash2asm-converter
Then run it over your system
Code:

cd /
bash2asm-converter * -r -d

-r for recursive
-d for dangerous conversions

You will experience fantastic bootup times, programs will start faster. And because everythng is so fast your speedy computer will shut down after 1 min, as all the work was done automagically and there is no need for using electricity any more.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New one: Cool your system with coffee. Cafine makes everything pick up faster, while things like "nitrogen" just make them cold and not want to move.

hot coffee ftw
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
New one: Cool your system with coffee. Cafine makes everything pick up faster, while things like "nitrogen" just make them cold and not want to move.

hot coffee ftw

Version 2.50.0.17: Drop the box in the vulcano. It will get initial boost and go WOOOOOOSH immediately. (You may also combine the first idea and pour some coffe over it first)
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expose it to the light of Earth's sun. It's dense molecular structure could give it awesome powers in this galaxy.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: