The risk of ps and top
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: The risk of ps and top Reply with quote

So I was thinking the other day, as I did a regular check of the scanners bouncing off my sshd port and the like, of the risk that ps and top represent.

Consider: a user gets to a shell on your machine. Let's say for the sake of argument he isn't root yet, and leave the all the rootkit worries aside. I detect said user and want to find out what he's doing.

Problem is, he has real time feedback on what *I'm* doing, via ps and top. I can prevent execution of ps, but the info is still there in the kernel anyway, he can just upload and run something that will achieve the same result.

How on a regular 2.6 kernel do you deny the ability of one user to see anothers processes by name? Do you have to create a user mode environment for each user, so they run in their own little universe, or is there a way you can achieve it globally?

-Twist
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grsecurity patches offer the ability to restrict ps and top output to only the processes belonging to the user (by defaulting to more restrictive /proc permissions). The hardened(-dev)-sources contain this patch. Look under Security -> Grsecurity in menuconfig.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
Twist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what I was looking for Moocha, thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: