Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Watch this video of Firefox in Xorg, does yours do this?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StringCheesian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Watch this video of Firefox in Xorg, does yours do this? Reply with quote

It's only about a 114 kb download:
http://www.network32.net/sterling/firefox-animation.mpeg

This only happens with Firefox, not Mozilla, or Konqueror. And it happens consistantly - I've never seen it not happen at any of the phpbb forums I've posted at (the emoticons to the left are doing it as I type this right now). It's a little different each time, but there's always at least one icon doing that.

The funny thing is, phpbb forums are the only sites I've seen animated gifs doing that, and it only happens on the post a new topic and edit topic pages. The same emoticons look fine when I see them in a post.

Also, sometimes to top 1 or 2 row of pixels on a line of text are missing. But I haven't been able to record that because anything that causes the text to be redrawn makes it go away (if I select the text, or it gets obscured by another window, etc). It happens occasionally and randomly, usually to a line or two in a paragraph of text.

And sometimes the first part of the url in the address bar (about 50 pixels wide) is 1 or 2 pixels higher than the rest of the url. I haven't been able to record that either.

And it has had these 3 bugs since (I think) back when I switch from Xorg 6.7 to 6.8 and from Firefox 0.8 to 0.9 (I've stayed current ~x86 all this time). It's only now tht I've learned how to capture part of the screen to an mpeg.

Recompiling my entire Gentoo system with conservative CFLAGS didn't help. CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"

I don't think this is a CFLAGS or ebuild issue, because Firefox does the same thing on Arch Linux. I don't know of any other distros to test that also use Xorg 6.8

MY gfx card is an nVidia GeForce FX 5700 , and it doesn't matter what drivers I use, nor whether I turn on composite or renderaccel.

Is anybody else with Xorg 6.8 and Firefox seeing anything like this?
spb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine did that for a while around 0.8-0.9. Haven't seen it recently though.
Peach
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here... happened with <1.0 but forgot as it has never been a serious problem ;)
Dud3!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does it a little, not as much as that video though. I think it's probably just PHPBB, it's pretty sad.
StringCheesian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spb wrote:
Mine did that for a while around 0.8-0.9. Haven't seen it recently though.

This is happening with 1.0 here. I've tried both mozilla-firefox and mozilla-firefox-bin... what could you and Peach be doing differently?

Dud3! wrote:
Mine does it a little, not as much as that video though. I think it's probably just PHPBB, it's pretty sad.

But it doesn't happen in Konqueror or Mozilla on the exact same page.
Dud3!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konqueror is worse than IE when it comes to rendering any sort of garbage you throw at it, Mozilla isn't as strict as Firefox either.

If you'll check the source, PHPBB uses tables to do the icons, tables aren't supposed to be used for layouts and Firefox gives no quarter to non-valid stuff like that. If the width was specified it wouldn't do that, click the (non-valid) pop-up for my (non-valid but greatly improved) tagboard here:

[url]http://woodturnedcreations.com/Dud3!/[/url]

They have some space around them so they don't do that. I'm going to get rid of that thing eventually because it's the only thing on my site I didn't make myself and that's not strict XHTML.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dud3!: I also recommend using a font that supports AA, because Helvetica does not look very nice seeing that it has no AA support. Also, you should check into XHTML 1.1 compliance. :wink:
zenwhen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you make the video? :)

I don't have this issue with FF 1.0.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zenwhen wrote:
How did you make the video? :)

I don't have this issue with FF 1.0.

Probably xvidcap for the video. Also, I have this problem but I do not really care. Maybe it is because people are using different DPIs?
Dud3!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pwnz3r wrote:
Dud3!: I also recommend using a font that supports AA, because Helvetica does not look very nice seeing that it has no AA support. Also, you should check into XHTML 1.1 compliance. :wink:

Yeah, I didn't spend any time on fonts and haven't touched that site in a while. If you'll check any page other than the front page, you'll see it's all XHTML 1.1. Front page is 1.0 because of that hacked tagboard...
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dud3! wrote:
Yeah, I didn't spend any time on fonts and haven't touched that site in a while. If you'll check any page other than the front page, you'll see it's all XHTML 1.1. Front page is 1.0 because of that hacked tagboard...

I was just giving some tips....
Dud3!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O I know, I was just telling you I am using XHTML 1.1. What's a good font to use that most people will have (including portable devices)?
solatis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, for me, it does this when I'm running xcompmgr.

Leon Mergen
http://www.solatis.com/
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for fonts, how about "serif". you don't have to specify a specific font after all, you can just say the font family.

IMO CSS needs to be redone. there seems to be a lot of stuff it just can't do. it needs a horizontal align property because the current method is kinda hackish and unreliable... also, it has issues with margins, adding or ignoring for unknown reasons.

there is no obvious way to get objects to be seperated by 16px or maybe 5%. margin should do this, but doesn't. i've taken to making a div block with a single br in it. terrible idea, but it works a lot better then the correct but nonfunctional way.

also, CSS seems to ignore any property if you need nested tables.
sjokki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the emoticons:

I don't have that problem anymore. I start X with: 'startx -- -dpi 96' and in Firefox i have set the resolution to 96 dpi (preferences -> general -> fonts & colors)
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the 96dpi idea seems to fix it but I use an 18.1" LCD and fonts look awesome at ~72dpi. And now for some reason they look fine after changing the DPI in Firefox back to the system setting. Odd crap.
Dud3!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip: Make a file called startx96, put startx -- -dpi 96 in it, save it, cp to /usr/local/bin, chmod 755. That way, just type startx96 to get 96 dpi.
Sheepdogj15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang! i've had this exact problem. i dunno... it's always the little things about Linux that bugs me.

but, sweet, i've been meaning to look up a solution to this problem with the animated gifs.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. (Galeon)
Sheepdogj15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool pjp.... i might try Galeon out sometime.

now, i would like to use kdm (xdm?) for a graphical logon. how would i set it to use the 96 dpi setting in that setup?

[edit] Nevermind. it seems that just setting it in Firefox did the trick for me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: