Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omega21
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
Omega21 wrote:
Thats all well and good, but will someone (like codergeek) tell us what vector optimization is?? :D :roll:
I have no idea. It just sounds cool. :oops:

LOL, well, at least your honest enough to admit it. :D Did that link I posted seem to explain it? :S
BastianBalthazarBux
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergi34 wrote:
Now, for example. I want to install Mysql 4.1.10 in an easy manner. What can I do that?............
- A lot of problems with masked packages...
- when I managed to solve masking problems... then having to uninstall mysql 4.0 before...
- and finally!! I realised that there is only 4.1.8 ebuild in portage, and is not as easy as rename to 4.1.10. It doesn't work
because of patches locally for 4.1.8.

have a look at:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=83011 [mySQL new version 4.1.10a]

Omega21 wrote:
Thats all well and good, but will someone (like codergeek) tell us what vector optimization is??

Readed very fast the description but I think it's a parallelization of loops that permit it.
In other words, if you have a loop (while, for) which has no external dependancies and no dependancies on the previous loop state you can parallelize that thus optimizing it on most modern processors.

EDIT:
Parallelizing is not the write world, to explain it better we need to go a little deeper in assembler and "prefetch". I'll try do it for x86 processors.
Since the time of firsts pentium the processor is capable to read some instruction behind the one its executing ("prefetch").
Why do this ? because a simple instruction may require hundreds of clock cicles.

And then ? Then executing in advance the instruction and store the result somewhere permit to only recall the results at the appropriate moment using only one clock cicle.

Wonderfull, but how this apply to cicle and vectorialization? Well the mentioned mechanism don't work well with "jumps". Every time a loop end there is a jump to the start of the loop to .. loop again. Some is done for this by "branch prediction".

yes but what about vectorialization ? ok ok, vectorialization (If that fast read was right) permit to avoid the jumps at the end of loop and thus not breaking prefetching.

Why you called paralleziation it before ? Because I was wrong :roll: but the stuff mentioned permit to parallelize one loop too. :P

Last edited by BastianBalthazarBux on Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

Location: Somewhere between reality and Middle-Earth and in Freiburg (Germany)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What makes you like Gentoo? Reply with quote

mantheorem wrote:
Why do you like Gentoo?

I think, this is a trivial question. I came to gentoo only because I wanted to have the poratge. One friend told me about portage and explained me what it was (I didn't know ports of BSD) and I wanted to test it. Then I realised that portage is the coolest tool for buidling your software, because I was able to choose only that what I wanted and I falled in love with gentoo :)
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
Poe
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because have:
- portage
- make.conf
- all programs std. from sources
- fast
- very well docs
- great official discussion forums
and when I know, that use Gentoo, then I feel very oryginal and better :]
greetz
RLU#342333
frameRATE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tweaking. customizability, stability

Linux User | 364705

howto install coldfusion mx 7 under gentoo
aldube
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious about Gentoo; heard about portage some new and great system for Linux, so I decided to give it a try.

And now I´m hooked on portage; with portage who needs to distro surf? Compiling new applications has never been easier in any other distro than Gentoo. It´s even easier than Debian!
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Gentoo mainly because I don't have to deal with rpm BS [dependency hell.] I do also notice a speed increase on my machine With Gentoo especially in regards to start up time OO also loads a hell of alot quicker too. The wide selection of packages is also a strong point. I do think the handling of masked packages should be much easier and not require config file editing as that is a global/permanent change and you may not always want to mask or unmask something permanently or globally.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
theosys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: I need help Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to change the root passwd
I do not know the old passwd
The box was giving to me with gentoo on it

grub> ?
totencham
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like gentoo because of the emerge stuff. I'm too lazy to search the web for a f*ckin dependencies. I just don't want to live in rpm-hell. So why not Debian? Because of my slow machine - compiling whole soft increases its performance.
Linux registered user #376896
theosys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link totencham
I appreciate it
totencham
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theosys wrote:
Thanks for the link totencham
I appreciate it

You mean this: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Index link? Sure, It was pleasant to help you :P
Linux registered user #376896
orangeman12
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Why do you run gentoo? Reply with quote

I was wondering why people switch to Linux and why they use Gentoo over other versions. I know that I switched for one reason just to play are with a new OS and just run Linux. I also ran Suse, Red Hat, Mandrake and Fedora before using Gentoo. But i picked Gentoo because of the emerging. Any way I was wondering why other people use Gentoo to.
porodzila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried different linuxes before but never made the switch. I wanted to develop software on my mac, but found I'd have to pay $$$ to upgrade to 10.2 to run their development package. I decided to switch to linux and my freind came over and helped me install gentoo.
Ateo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portage. With an emphasis on /etc/portage/* and /etc/make.conf. And the forums.

:)
linuxpyro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, as I started to learn more about computers when I was younger, Windoze began to piss me off. I started out with RedHat on an old HP Vectra (166 MHz Pentium, 48 megs RAM, still runs as a server), and about two years ago built my own box which also ran RedHat and later Fedora. I also tried SuSE. These were nice, but they didn't give me much flexibility. I also had some stability problems.

Once I got into Gentoo, I realized that this was the distro for me. My machine is a lot more stable (it still has some issues, I think because of the unbuffered RAM), I have emerge, and it isn't bogged down with other apps I don't need.

The independence of Linux in general is a plus for me too. I like not being locked in to M$ products, and being able to take advantage of an OS that is the result of a community effort. I also like tweaking and messing around, which Gentoo let's me do to my heart's content. :D I still use Windoze, namely because my family uses it, but also just to know another OS.

I am a musician, and primarily use my Gentoo workstation for recording. I probably could have saved a bit or trouble by getting a Mac, but frankly I wouldn't trade my box for one. I'm happy, and I have a system that's mine.
Pithlit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Gentoo because it's the cool thing to do...
Frodg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I can
Because it is less 'picky' than Microsoft
Because it keeps my mind functioning at all times.
Because I can't afford MS products & Linux work as well if not better....

Gentoo - Registered Linux User # 361400
porodzila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your mind functions all the time anyway, It just keeps it focused.
acasto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Gentoo for a year or so now, and it's still my favorite. And just to verify, I downloaded and burnt about different ISOs today and tried them all. I actually just go done playing with Debian, but having been installing another Gentoo system on a distcc setup all day, the Debian felt like I was playing with a caveman. I even tried Feather Linux, Ubuntu, IpCop, Damn Small Linux, and Centos (asterisk@home). I do like the Asterisk@Home, however I'm not too crazy about rpm based distros. I would like to go Gentoo on our Asterisk server I'm working on, however I may take another look at CentOS again, and perhaps Debian one more time.

- Adam

"You know the Nazi's had pieces of flare.. that they made the Jews wear."
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you the reasons that a newcomer to Linux world may have to choose Gentoo over any other Linux flavour. I think that a great part of the point are these forums and the excellent font of support that they offer to the user (not only the new user, but also to the most experienced ones and the Linux gurus).

The reason why I choosed it was not only one.

I begun my Linux experience in the middle 90's, about 95-96 or so, and started my way with some version of SuSE, wich I used primarily for it's java compiled. By that time going I did not have acces to the net, so, to get a java compiler for me was difficult, I really did not find any other easiest ressource to come with, so I choosed to give this thing a try. I was Inmediatly impressed by the Linux bash amongs any other thing.

By that time I was a DOS user (I really did not use Windows in my home machine untill 98) and I was used to the DOS batch scripting (I you can call that scripting, thought), so the first thing that made me think 'this cannot be true' was the bash scripting. I begun to read the man page (when I discovered mand pages I also received a great impact, DOS users know why :lol: ) and the first day I day I readlised that the "power" of bat files, compared to this was just like comparing a penguin with an f18 (penguins, do not get bothered, please :wink: ).

But SuSE was so little thing: yes, it is commercial, and my CDs were only demos with not all the stuff I wanted on them. So, I decided to change to RedHat, not for any particular reason, but why it was the first distro I heared of after SuSE. RedHat has several lacks for me, the first and main one was the gnome desktop, that I don't like at all (a fact of tastes, please, no other discussion about again). But what really bothered me about this distro was the impossibility to configure my monitor in a way that I could show four terms in the same screen. Yes I know, not really a RedHat matter, but I was new and needed it for the daily tasks.

I changed to Mandrake and found it to be very intuitive and usefull from the first hour it was installed. I installed kde and found it to be so nice with lots of options and very configurable, so I decided to adopt it as my preferred DE. Anyway I continued to use some programs like gnorpm that was gtk (anyway I did not know anything about that at the moment). Anyway, I like to play around with my SO, and found that Mandrake was so difficult to touch deep inside for a newbye like I. Very nice to the eyes, but so complicated in the insides.

Since that I decided to use 'lighter' Linux flavours, and started with debian, wich I used for almos five years, alternating in with Mandrake. In debian I really learned how a linux system works, and its relatively simple configuration files was a great help to understand how the linux boot process is, and how linux manages some things like procs, devices, filesystem, and many other interesting things.

Since that days I have used Mandrake, Slackware, Debian (stable and unstable) and Gentoo. I've also tested (but not used intensively) Hispafuentes, Ubuntu, Knoppix, EsWare, Fedora, and many many others...

And finally I choosed Gentoo in between all of these.

The main reason is the fact that you allways know what is exactly underlying into your system. Most distros (except Linux From Scratch) have funny shinny installers that take a lot of usefull stuff into your computer. That is not bad in the classic sense of
Quote:
'oh! no!, lot of usefful stuff that bloats my computer, no!! i cant stand it! i've lost all my computing power!'.

I never understood such attitudes. I think that the fact that makes a given distro heavy to use is not the amount of tools or programs that it installs into your hard drive. In fact hard drives are so big nowadays that full gentoo install would be possible in almost every modern machine.

The point in Gentoo is related to the thing that I said about Mandrake but opposite: Gentoo has a very simple configuration that you can tweak to your conveniente settings if you don't like it. This cleanliness in the whole system is the thing I like in Gentoo the most. As secondary things I like the almost instantly updates, the portage system a la bsd and the fact that you can control which versions (and if stable or unstable) of the software you have in your machine.

Also of course this great community that has borned around this great project that is Gentoo.
re_re
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 2 large cd cases filled linux distros.... I've used just about everything, finally got away from rpm distros and started using debian for a while.. which is nice, but, you really need to know how to use apt, or you trash your system, well.... than i finally installed Gentoo.... I'm hooked. Gentoo just does what what it is supposed to do... I set my USE flags and compile my kernel with support for my hardware...... the rest is automated. .... I install new software that needs Java to run ...... support is automatically compiled into it. Gentoo makes system administration a breeze, and in addition to that, Gentoo is the only distro that i know of that you can consistently keep a bleeding edge system and still maintain a reasonable degree of stability and usability. Most of all, I love gentoo because it is it allows me to break away from M$,..... of all the distors i have tried, Gentoo is the first and only one to truly replace M$ Windows on my desktop.

I must also add this..... the Gentoo Documentation is hands down the best of any linux distro around, and if for some reason i can't find what i need in that..... i am almost certain to get an answer in the Gentoo forums.

Long live Gentoo....

MSI K8N FSR, athlon64 2800+ @2016mhz, nv 6800xt

Compaq Deskpro Pentium3 500mhz

Macbook Pro 1.83ghz 1.5 gig pc5300
orangeman12
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought that i was one of the few people that went around install random distros but i guess that a whole bunch of a people do it to.
But I agree that these forums are awsome that in one day you can get 5 -7 responces to ur questions.
bladdo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I used slackware and It was so hard and annoying to install stuff. I use gentoo for portage mostly.8)
distro: gentoo | window manager: pekwm
AdShea
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started using Red Hat back when it was in version 6.2 When it came to 8 and 9, the setup and properiary gnome became so removed from the linux of it that it was like using M$ and MacOS at the same time. Then I tried LFS but it took too long. Gentoo allows perfect customization, and the community support is the best I have seen for anything.
whitesouls
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D ....
1.Portage
2.A Teacher + Student realtionship
3.TAUGHT ME SOME MORAL VALUES
4.THE COMMUNITY AND THE AMOUNT OF SUPPORT
5.Easyness of the system

In Simple Words.... GENTOO RULE THE WORLD OF LINUX...

Please insert the [SOLVED] tag if your problem is solved in your respective thread.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: