2. community forums

or was it the other way around.. *scratches head*
racoontje
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o The neat way Portage works.
o The neat way rc scripts are handled.
o The neat way it tought me how /etc worked.
o The neat way the community works.
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to go with the emerging "portage and the community" meme.

Can I ask: why are you undertaking this project? Having been through the gentoo evangelism phase myself, I really don't think that Gentoo is for everyone.

My Father, for example, was worried by what he percieved as a lack of stability. I'd run emerge -uD world and a week later we'd find something that was broken. For me personally, that's part of the fun, and I learn things fixing these odd glitches. But my dad was scared off linux and back onto XP. On the other hand, Debian Stable has this rep for being ultra reliable. Maybe if I'd put that on his machine, he might still be using it.

For me, Gentoo is the best choice. Probably the best choice overall for the enthusiast. But you have to be ready for it. If your friends are happy with their distros, why not let them get on with it?

Assuming they're not using microsoft or anything anyway. Then you'd have a sacred duty to perform ;)
Devard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portage easily does it for me with the package installation.

The community is also vibrant and helpful.
syg00
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No fucking GUI installer that insists it knows what I want more than I do !!!!

Oh, and portage
... and you lot of course.

But see the first sentence...
befortin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love being able to keep my system up to date with just one command :
Code:

su -c "emerge sync && emerge -auD world"

I don't have to reinstall Gentoo like each 12 months (like you have to do with OpenBSD, for example) just to get the security patches!
mantheorem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boroshan wrote:
I'd have to go with the emerging "portage and the community" meme.

Can I ask: why are you undertaking this project? Having been through the gentoo evangelism phase myself, I really don't think that Gentoo is for everyone.

My Father, for example, was worried by what he percieved as a lack of stability. I'd run emerge -uD world and a week later we'd find something that was broken. For me personally, that's part of the fun, and I learn things fixing these odd glitches. But my dad was scared off linux and back onto XP. On the other hand, Debian Stable has this rep for being ultra reliable. Maybe if I'd put that on his machine, he might still be using it.

For me, Gentoo is the best choice. Probably the best choice overall for the enthusiast. But you have to be ready for it. If your friends are happy with their distros, why not let them get on with it?

Assuming they're not using microsoft or anything anyway. Then you'd have a sacred duty to perform ;)

Boroshan,

I completely agree with you - by no ways or means is this intended to be a blind effort to bolster Gentoo. What I really wanted is a better understanding of why people like Gentoo. Perhaps a way to make this thread more meaninfgul would be to have people post their most favorite and least favorite thing about Gentoo.
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't argue with that :D

The thing I like least about Gentoo, I suppose would have to be fact that I find out things are broken, weeks after the change that broke them and often have no idea what caused the problem. For instance I've not needed my USB key in weeks. Then I find myself overseas and my only net connection is via my employers system.

Suddenly, when I actually need the bloody thing, my USB key refuses to mount. Nothing I can't sort out, and I accept the breakage as a necesary price that I pay for gentoo's advantages. But it's still a royal pain sometimes
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The community is awesome (especially the much closer interaction the users/developers seem to have than with other F/OSS projects).

The documentation is thorough and explanatory.

Portage kicks ass.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonent wrote:
What other linux will let you have a vector optimized wordprocessor?
:lol: :twisted:
mantheorem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows does have the convenience of automation for several tasks, but that automation comes at the cost of removing options and choices from the user.
mark_lagace
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say the best 'feature' of Gentoo is the documentation. Portage is great, but then again, so is apt. The documentation that Gentoo provides though, is unparalleled. It gives in depth explanations of not only how to do something, but also why you would want to do it, and what other options exist that you might want to consider. The combination of the official docs on the web page, the gentoo wiki, and the Documentation, Tips and Tricks forum is a tremendous resource that really shouldn't be overlooked.
donjuan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_lagace wrote:
I'd have to say the best 'feature' of Gentoo is the documentation. Portage is great, but then again, so is apt. The documentation that Gentoo provides though, is unparalleled. It gives in depth explanations of not only how to do something, but also why you would want to do it, and what other options exist that you might want to consider. The combination of the official docs on the web page, the gentoo wiki, and the Documentation, Tips and Tricks forum is a tremendous resource that really shouldn't be overlooked.

I totally forgot about that, and I deffinitely have to agree. The docs are basically how I learned my way around Linux :).

The Stage 1 on 3 Install
fuji
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, I installed Gentoo because of Larry the Cow so... I like Larry the Cow..... :)
mantheorem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: doc Reply with quote

I feel lucky that Gentoo was really the first distro I ever played with - luckily, this means that I never had to go through a poorly documented distro.
Omega21
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcx21000 wrote:
Gentoo is good, becuase it never does anything for you.

Debian asks you a million questions, you understand them, but you have no idea what config files it's editing (you can proabably do a manual install, but I don't know how, so it is irrelavent ;)). With Gentoo, you manually edit the config files you want edited, and the "config helpers" can't fail, becuase there aren't any. Forcing you to manually do stuff also helps you learn how Linux/Unix really works (I went from knowing nothing to knowing pretty much by doing a Gentoo install).

Sometimes it's bad ("AARRRGHHHH!! Automount my thumbdrive, you STUPID gnome-volume-manger thingy!"). But it always turns out well (*insert thumbdrive* *"flash" icon appears* "YAY!! I only spent 3 hours, and I'll never have to waste 30sec with the "mount" command again!")

;)

Well, give the poor devs some credit. It is very hard to plan something as complex as a distro that will please everyone. You usually have something like "pork" linux :D that spoon feeds you loads, or something like gentoo that basically sits and does what you tell it, nothing else. I haven't found a distro yet that can balance those 2 goals. Its like communism vs. democracy.
Omega21
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuji wrote:
Hehe, I installed Gentoo because of Larry the Cow so... I like Larry the Cow..... :)

Nooo..... your *cough* not insane...... ;)
If you choose a distro based on a mascot, go for Mandrake.
Cadex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Gentoo because it is just the kind of Linux distro I have been looking for: It's slim, fast, requires only the stuff that you really want and has a very nice packet management!

Had SuSE for quite a long time and thought it was "okay". I still think that SuSE is a good choice for newbies.
But when I got my (pretty slow, 400MHz) Notebook, SuSE was just too slow, so I had to look for something faster.

I installed "Linux from scratch" - and thought it was very much exactly what I wanted: Only those packages that I need, optimized for my system etc.. But soon I recognized that installation of LFS can be real pain: It takes a lot of time, and if you just type one letter wrong then in the end you maybe have to start all over again. When I finally had a basic running system, something else bothered me even more: I could very well live without those massive graphical configuration tools SuSE etc. provide - but in the end I just didn't want to live without some kind of packet management tool... Doing _everything_ by hand is horror :(

Then I heard of Gentoo, and installed it - and though I have so far just installed the system, I think it is really exactly what I want: It's quite similar to LFS, but it's rather easy to install, since only few parts have to be done by hand. Furthermore, you can but you don't have to compile everything if you don't want to, a Stage3-install only takes a short time. And there is portage, probably the best thing about gentoo!

So from what I have seen so far, Gentoo seems to be pretty much like LFS - it has all of LFS' up sides but not the down sides and ships with a really superb packet management.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portage! :D
andyfraser33
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do I like about Gentoo? All the things people have already mentioned really: Portage, community, docs, control over the system etc. If my system suffers from bloat it's because I made it bloated.

I also like the use of colour on the console. A booting Gentoo box looks very professional without having to resort to a boot splash screen. There's a feeling of quality about the whole distro.[/b]
Omega21
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
stonent wrote:
What other linux will let you have a vector optimized wordprocessor?
:lol: :twisted:

Awesome point.
mantheorem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: What! Reply with quote

I'm entirely new to linux.... what's a vector optimized wordprocessor?

8O
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: What! Reply with quote

mantheorem wrote:

8O
DOn't worry about it yet :wink:
Omega21
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: What! Reply with quote

mantheorem wrote:

8O

I searched AltaVista and got this. Its rather long-winded, and may not be 100% accurate either, because I
barely know anything about vector optimization.

http://www.nacad.ufrj.br/guide/Misc/optimize_ed5.html

You could also try searching the Wikipedia. Its got to have
something about it.
mantheorem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I think I understand now.

:D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: