Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
fixing an interesting segfault by su when run in rxvt
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 10:59 pm    Post subject: fixing an interesting segfault by su when run in rxvt Reply with quote

When I switched from xterm to rxvt, I noticed a small problem: su would segfault whenever I tried to run it. This was a problem.

Coincidentally, I noticed that when I ran an xterm, I could see myself logged in if I ran w. This was not the case with rxvt.

So, I checked some permissions. Here's what's relevant:
Code:
-rws--x--x    1 root     root         243K May 15 09:02 /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         3.3K May 18 18:13 /usr/bin/rxvt
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         7.5K May 22 13:07 /var/run/utmp

As you can see, these are all chown root.root. Xterm can write to utmp by virtue of it being installed setuid root, but rxvt cannot, hence my problem. So I ran chgrp utmp on the relevant files, made utmp and /var/log/wtmp g+w and rxvt and xterm g+s. Now my permissions look like this, and all is good:
Code:
-rwxr-s--x    1 root     utmp         243K May 15 09:02 /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm
-rwxr-sr-x    1 root     utmp         3.3K May 18 18:13 /usr/bin/rxvt
-rw-rw-r--    1 root     utmp         8.6K May 22 15:47 /var/run/utmp

My first question: is there a more elegant/correct way to address this issue than what I have done here?

My second question: why is xterm installed setuid root and utmp not in the utmp group? :? All my friends' first responses were some sarcastic comment about the distro, so if there is a reason Gentoo installs them like this, I'd like to hear it. Otherwise perhaps it's something that could be fixed for the future...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I've not had any segfault issues, but the permissions/w info is still accurate. Anyone have any insights?
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting indeed. Just FYI, my rxvt is NOT set[gu]id at all, and I can su from it just fine. Did changing the permissions on rxvt really fix the problem for you? Crazy. I've never had su segfault on me.

About being logged in, make sure that you weren't passing in extra options to xterm. My xterm button uses the "-ls" argument, which makes the xterm run a login shell, so I can see myself in the logged-in-users list. My old Debian machine didn't have that; all the xterms I ran were basically still logged in as the user who started X, so I was typically only logged in once, as opposed to the eight times I'm logged in now.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had the segfault issue, I just thought the permissions part was interesting. To my knowledge, my xterms aren't running with the -ls option.
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I had to add the "-ls" option personally; Gentoo didn't do that for me or anything. I had just found out about the option and had always wanted my xterms to behave that way, so I added it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: