View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: new gnome over old gnome? Reply with quote

if i emerge the newest version of gnome will it unmerge automatically (or somehow override) all the old gnome stuff or will it co-exist with it, making my gnome install double the size?

ryan
David_Escott
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the slots. You can look at the ebuilds and check the Slot="" section. Those that have 1.4 stuff will coexist those that dont will not. Some of the ones that will coexist are the panel (this is so old applets will work) and of course gtk+ so you can run evo etc. Ones that don't are the gnome-session (I believe) and replacement programs like the terminal.
But honestly I dont understand why you are worried about size you are running Gentoo.
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anything, gentoo takes up more space than other distros. dunno why, but it does. havent even really installed anything cept X, flux, and a few misc apps, and already, it's using up close to 2gb. an install like that in slackware uses about 500-600mb and in redhat, maybe just under a gb.

granted, i've given gentoo a 18gb partition to live in (or was it 16) but still... i don't want garbage files lying around doing nothing.

ryan
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyhoo, i installed the gnome-grp crap several time as directed by others in the forums but it's still not fully installed. i think it's gnome 2.03. there are files all over the hd, but portage or any other app doesn't know that i have any gnome libs installed.

so if i install the newest version of gnome (2.2?) will it overwrite what's already there?

ryan
David_Escott
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand your question exactly have you emerged gnome and successfully and portage doesn't think you have? What does emerge search gnome tell you, what libs are missing?
As to size issues I think most of the size differences in gentoo would come in /usr/portage especially in the distfiles, or in /var/tmp/portage from failed ebuilds. If you are finding your binaries are significantly larger it could be your optimizations which may be too high. The higher your optimizations the more unrolling/inlining/etc that gcc is going to do and the larger the binaries. You might also look at your USE variables. If you have lots of use variables installing a single high level program like gnome could end up installing lots of other stuff that you didnt want in the first place, hence the reason my use variables in make.conf are predominately -this -that. Look at make.globals and see if there are any use variables that you dont use and then put them as -use in make.conf.
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i did not emerge gnome. i used the grp install from the newest live cd. it's a binary install of gnome, basically. it put all the binaries in the correct place, but the system has no idea they're there. portage doesn't know that gnome's anywhere on the system.

no other apps even know it either. if i were to emerge a gnome app that depends on gnome2 libs, it would emerge the libs first (even though i can see them on the system).

as for my USE variables, they're very generic. i've got -gnome, -kde and -alottaothercrapthatidontneed.

i only want the gnome libs for a select few apps that use them. my gcc settings are also pretty basic. i've got it set to use the athlon-xp optimizations, and O3 and fomit frame pointer.

that's about it. i've used gentoo on older p2's with lesser settings and it still takes up alotta room, so im sure it's nothing to do with my settings, it's just the nature of the beast. no biggie. when 1.4 is final, i might end up nuking the whole partition and starting over. i dunno...

if you've any ideas on cleaning a gnome install off, any help is appreciated :)

ryan
David_Escott
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you want you could either inject the packages or use the nodeep option to emerge. Inject is probably the better solution here (say you have gtk+-2.2.0 then `emerge inject x11-libs/gtk+-2.2.0` and future ebuilds will assume you already have it)

if you can get a list of the packages on the live cd you might just want to emerge inject `cat packagelist` and save yourself some time
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: