View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: #gentoo-mips Reply with quote

Several people have noted that in the GWN, there is a growing number of people working to get Gentoo to work successfully on the MIPS architecture (Mainly SGI Indy and Indigo2 R4400 machines). I don't know about any status on DEC or other MIPS machines like R10000, O2 and such (I'll have a functioning R10k machine soon), but I would like to invite any MIPS owners who want to help in this endeavour to join the Gentoo MIPS IRC channel on Freenode at #gentoo-mips. If you already join other gentoo channels, like #gentoo, #gentoo-sparc and such, then you're already on the proper network, just /join #gentoo-mips.

Hopefully with enough people and good interaction, this can become a functioning port of Gentoo to yet another architecture.

--Kumba
psi29a
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on MIPS... Reply with quote

Got my Indy R5000 running gentoo just fine :D Base is installed, and I've slowly been trying to compile and test other ebuilds. Kudos to the MIPS crew over at #gentoo-mips on irc.freenode.net as they have been of great help as well. So let me re-iterate. Gentoo on MIPS is possible! :D

http://stats.gentoo.org/statistics-profiles.htm

As of this, there are 2 Gentoos running on MIPS, break out the Guiness!!
Ice_Tiger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do i have to do to get gentoo up on my indy r5000 and what functionality will i lose from not running irix. i just got this system and dont know hardly anything about it exept that it has a dual head 8 bit video and a 24 bit on top of that and it has a 180mhz proc and a 1 gb hard drive a floptical drive and 128mb of ram.
spbecker
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Indy requirements Reply with quote

Ice_Tiger wrote:
what do i have to do to get gentoo up on my indy r5000 and what functionality will i lose from not running irix. i just got this system and dont know hardly anything about it exept that it has a dual head 8 bit video and a 24 bit on top of that and it has a 180mhz proc and a 1 gb hard drive a floptical drive and 128mb of ram.

I can tell you the dual-head doesn't work in linux (at least I'm sure I read somewhere that it doesn't...). The R5k 180mhz processor is top of the line for an Indy, however 1gb of disk space is probably not enough. Right now my gentoo-mips install without X is taking up nearly 2gb of disk.
Ice_Tiger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would the install be so huge, i had a good install of stuff on my x86 systems and it didnt even take up a gig. im not to familure with this system. it was givent to me i have fully specked the system and read about some of its capabilities, but i have never had a chance to work with it yet. i dnt even have a monitor for it at this point. i do plan to use my curent monitor but i need to get an adapter from the 13w3 connection it has. so far it looks like fun. i dono if i even care to much about the dual head
spbecker
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: indy install Reply with quote

Ice_Tiger wrote:
why would the install be so huge, i had a good install of stuff on my x86 systems and it didnt even take up a gig. im not to familure with this system. it was givent to me i have fully specked the system and read about some of its capabilities, but i have never had a chance to work with it yet. i dnt even have a monitor for it at this point. i do plan to use my curent monitor but i need to get an adapter from the 13w3 connection it has. so far it looks like fun. i dono if i even care to much about the dual head

The problem is not the size of the install, but rather the amount of disk space needed for temporary compile space needed by portage (/var/tmp), and also the source code files that get stored in /usr/portage/distfile. Also, before you just buy a 13w3 adapter, you need to make sure your monitor will do sync-on-green. If it won't, the adapter is useless. When I said that your dual-head board might not work, I mean completely not work as in you may not even get linux console. You might try googling for that a bit though.
Ice_Tiger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i already have a server for my /usr/portage directory and i can probly network mount /var/tmp directory temporaraly. my monitor is a bnc/svga monitor. i got bored last night so i atached just the green wire off of the video card to the monitor and the video worked fine
decker in flux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of indigo2 ( old world ) machines i would like to get gentoo on.

One is an extreme and the other an elan.
the extreme has the r5000 200Mhz ( maybe r4400, at work now so i cant double check )
the elan an r4400 100Mhz.

I am debating whether to proceed, and was curious about the number of ebuilds which work ( my main concerns are X, flux/waimea, *term, [x]directfb ( maybe ? ), httpd, and some distro of TeX. ) Is there a list available anywhere?
spbecker
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

decker in flux wrote:
I have a couple of indigo2 ( old world ) machines i would like to get gentoo on.

One is an extreme and the other an elan.
the extreme has the r5000 200Mhz ( maybe r4400, at work now so i cant double check )
the elan an r4400 100Mhz.

I am debating whether to proceed, and was curious about the number of ebuilds which work ( my main concerns are X, flux/waimea, *term, [x]directfb ( maybe ? ), httpd, and some distro of TeX. ) Is there a list available anywhere?

On my Indy, I currently have X 4.2.99.4, windowmaker, apache 2.0.44 working. I also have a cross compiler for mips on the other machines in my house that I utilize through distcc. For the most part, any package I've tried has worked. Also, the elan machine will definitely need serial console to work. The only supported graphics board for linux-mips is the newport XL (8 and/or 24 bit).
fzylogic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have to try a net install on my indigo2 again...but if I remember correctly, it's of the no-way-not-ever-going-to-work-with-linux variety of R10k procs...but it's been so long since I've tried, that I may be wrong.
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fzylogic wrote:
I might have to try a net install on my indigo2 again...but if I remember correctly, it's of the no-way-not-ever-going-to-work-with-linux variety of R10k procs...but it's been so long since I've tried, that I may be wrong.

Yeah, if it's R10K Indigo2 (IP28 board) it won't work currently. IP28 support isn't even available in both the stock kernel and linux-mips kernel. One debian developer, Thiemo Seufer, managed to get a 2.5.1 kernel to work, however it only can mount NFS and that's about it. Makes a neat bootlog though. Look in this topic: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=13391 at my post on Feb 12th regarding a link to Thiemo's website and his various patches for IP28 support.

Hopefully these things will be supported in the future. Right now, my R10K module makes a great paperweight.

--Kumba
decker in flux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for the info, going to attempt an install this weekend ( if i have some time )

-d
mipsgi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i try to install gentoo-mips on an origin2000 box and it definitely failed :D
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mipsgi wrote:
i try to install gentoo-mips on an origin2000 box and it definitely failed :D

I do believe there is an active effort by the linux-mips people to get linux to run on the o2000 systems. You might wanna check http://www.linux-mips.org and maybe even drop by their channel at #mipslinux on freenode.net to get more information. Until atleast linux basically boots and runs on an o2000, I don't think you'll have any luck getting gentoo to work on it. Never hurts to try, though.

--Kumba
Scott Price
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Octane... Reply with quote

I have an SGI Octane that is waiting for a new OS. ;) So I am trying to compile a cross compiler from x86 -> mips. I always get the same error in glibc trying to compile it for mips:

../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/mips/clone.S: Assembler messages:
../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/mips/clone.S:66: Error: Can not represent BFD_RELOC_16_PCREL_S2 relocation in this object file format
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.1-r6/work/glibc-2.3.1/buildhere/misc/clone.o] Error 1

I have looked up this error on the net, but all I found was binutils newer than last December show this problem, because they are now enforcing a rule they didn't heavily enforce before (If I read things correctly) I couldn't find a patch for glibc. Anyone know where I could get a patch for glibc to fix this problem? Anyone else have this experience compiling glibc for mips?

Gcc ebuild 3.2.2-r7
Binutils ebuild 2.13.90.0.18-r1
glibc ebuild 3.2.1-r6

I am using cross-gcc to compile the cross compiler. I have successfully built sparc and hppa comilers using it.

Thanks!

Scott =)
alexbuell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Cobalt Qube2 Reply with quote

Has anyone ever succeeded in installing Gentoo on a Cobalt Qube2? I'm interested because I'll be getting hold of one of these soon.

Cheers,
Alex.
atopian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the x86 based cobalt platforms working. I'll be turning my attention to the mipsel based platforms shortly.
masikh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello people,

I have got three questions:

1 Does the indy cam, isdn, svhs etcetera of my indy works with gentoo?
2 Is it possible to install gentoo on a remote storage facility (e.g. nfs server) and boot the whole distribution later on via tftp? This could potentialy make my indy less noisy because I could remove the fans and harddisk. There is obvious no reason for them anymore if this works. Does Debian seems to have some sort of successtory here?
3 Can anyone point me to a direction where I can find information about building a cross compilar working on a x86 with mips as target arch.

Many thanks,

Masikh.
atopian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out distcc

http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20030310-newsletter.xml#doc_chap1_sect2

Also check the topic on this fourm about cross compiling gentoo:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=29985
masikh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. Your links for cross compiling are most helpfull. Unfortunaly it doesn't give an aswer on the question which fuctionality I'll maintain and which I will not. e.g. Does the indy cam work or does isdn support exist?
hbbio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Portage within Irix Reply with quote

What would be great is to put portage within Irix, keeping the Irix kernel, the X server, etc. but enjoying a full blend of packages, much more than sgi freeware and more up-to-date (many should work out of the box, some like audio players needing patches).
Also, software management on Irix definetely rocks (subpackages...) it would be great to write a script that uses gendists to produce an sgi package automagically as a result of the ebuild process.
Anyone already tried ?
masikh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Portage Reply with quote

Isn't this what they are doing right now with OS X? If so, you might find your answer (or directions) there.

Greetz

Masikh
alexbuell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atopian wrote:
I just got the x86 based cobalt platforms working. I'll be turning my attention to the mipsel based platforms shortly.

Excellent. I've got a Cobalt Qube2 with 256MB of memory sitting here ready to receive some TLC. I

Linux - the best text adventure game ever.
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i beleve the Playstation 2 is a mips CPU, shame i can't develop stuff otherwize a Gentoo LiveCD for the PS2 would be in the making (like a knoppix live CD) maybe Sony would be kind and digitally sign them so mod chips arn't required, they are nicer than M$ afterall., just my two cents, or pence since i'm from the UK
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

viperlin wrote:
i beleve the Playstation 2 is a mips CPU, shame i can't develop stuff otherwize a Gentoo LiveCD for the PS2 would be in the making (like a knoppix live CD) maybe Sony would be kind and digitally sign them so mod chips arn't required, they are nicer than M$ afterall., just my two cents, or pence since i'm from the UK

It is a MIPS cpu, an R5900 to be exact. Custom-made by Toshiba for Sony. Linux runs on it, but the tools are extremely outdated, and you're stuck using a 2.2 kernel for it. Gentoo, frankly, is too advanced for it right now. Whether Sony ports 2.4 or even 2.6 is unknown at the moment. The compiler tools are a whole different story, and a bit outdated as well, although some people in the PS2Linux community are trying to bring those up-to-date, but it is a slow process.

I hope to one day try and put Gentoo onto a PS2, but that I think is a bit of a ways off.

--Kumba
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: