glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1 failed during kernel upgrade[SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
computer_druid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1 failed during kernel upgrade[SOLVED] Reply with quote

After taking the time to download all of the files for updating the kernel (to 2.6.10-r6 I believe) I've compiled 21 out of the 25 pieces before I came to the following show-stopping error:

Quote:
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1/work/glibc-2.3.3/iconv'
make -j2 -C iconvdata subdir_lib
make[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1/work/glibc-2.3.3/iconvdata'
.././scripts/mkinstalldirs /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1/work/build/iconvdata
make[2]: vfork: Cannot allocate memory
.././scripts/mkinstalldirs /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1/work/build/iconvdata
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1/work/glibc-2.3.3/iconvdata'
make[1]: *** [iconvdata/subdir_lib] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1/work/glibc-2.3.3'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 690, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

I don't know if this is something on my side, a bug, or what. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by computer_druid on Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an out of memory error. If you have only 128 MB of RAM or less you could try setting MAKEOPTS to -j1 in make.conf, and making sure not to run the emerge while X is running, especially with Gnome or KDE or some other very memory-hungry window manager.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
computer_druid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right on both counts; I only have 128 MB Ram (desperately need to max out the system with*gasp* 256?!!) and I was running KDE at the time. Usually I don't but it failed before so I figured I'd do it in KDE so I can copy-paste the results.

I'll try modifying the make.conf and check it out.
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 128 MB machine it's advisable to not follow the (slightly misleading) advice in the handbook that says to set MAKEOPTS to the number of CPUs + 1. That has the potential to cause big problems on low memory systems, especially when compiling C++ code (the C++ compiler is known to eat a lot of memory, which accidentally makes for a good RAM test too :D). glibc can also cause problems when it gets to the locale building phase (top shows ld.so processes eating lots of memory - that's the locale builder being run explicitely with the newly built runtime linker/loader). So setting MAKEOPTS to -j1 globally is a good idea. Taking it out of make.conf altogether isn't the same since it may get set to -j2 somewhere in the global profile.
If you're not interested in having all locales built (such as the big Asian locales) and want to speed up the build process it's also a good idea to set the userlocales USE flag on glibc (via /etc/portage/package.use) and edit /etc/locales.build to include only the locales you're actually interested in (it's got comments showing the syntax). The next time glibc gets recompiled it will take effect.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
computer_druid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For a 128 MB machine it's advisable to not follow the (slightly misleading) advice in the handbook that says to set MAKEOPTS to the number of CPUs + 1.

I remember reading that part in the handbook and I did set it up that way. So I changed it from -j2 to -j1 and closed out all X (KDE) sessions and it compiled without a problem! After that I did (outlined by the Gentoo Linux Kernel Upgrade Guide)
    # cd /usr/src
    # ln -sfn linux-2.6.10-gentoo-r6

I tried it with genkernel --bootloader=grub all but it kept coming back not accepting the --bootloader command so I just ran through the genkernel all and then had to manually mount the BOOT partition (/dev/hda2) and copy the files from /boot into the mounted /BOOT partition
    initrd-2.6.10-gentoo-r6
    kernel-2.6.10-gentoo-r6
Aferwhich I went into the /BOOT/grub/grub.conf, copied the existing item for the old kernel anrd pasted it into the list changing the kernel version to the new one, saved it and rebooted.

It worked like a charm! Thanks!
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most welcome, glad I could be of assistance.
Can't really comment on the genkernel issues since I never used it...
Since it's now solved, could you edit the post title and add a [SOLVED] to it?

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: