i can't work like that >System slow [uhm Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morimando
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: i can't work like that >System slow [uhm Solved] Reply with quote

Hey folks.
I switched from nitro sources to love sources today because when i'm burning a cd using k3b while i enjoy music with XMMS and surfing with firefox 1.0.1 the Buffer status of my cd-writer is always low, it heavily shakes between 90 an 1 %, so music stops randomly for 1 sec allowing the buffer to refresh. Also my mouse is getting all slow and fuzzy.
Checked via eterm // "top" k3b uses 20% CPU time, XMMS 10% firefox doesn't appear in the upper ranks.
Well i thought it might be a problem with nitro's scheduler or such, but apparently it wasn't, i experience the same thing with love-sources.
All my partitions (except /boot) are Reiser 4, system is pure udev, chipset is nforce2, CPU is AMD Athlon XP 2400+, Ramsize 512MB, discs: 1x IDE Samsung Sp0802N (Prim. Master) 1x SATA Samsung SP1614C, the Sata Controller is onboard Silicon Image 3112A, disc drives= Secondary Channel 1xYamaha CRW F1 (Slave) and 1x BenQ DW800A DVD-RW +/- (Master), the problem occurs with the Yamaha CRW-F1, i'll test the BenQ if it's experiencing the same problem in a couple of minutes, so i'll edit and let you know if it's the same.
If you need any configs pastet, just tell me, don't want to post in advance because i don't know which configs you'll need.
thank you in advance :)

edit: okay BenQ running now, also burning a cue/bin image like Yamaha did before, problem is the exact same, however it starts occuring when it has passed the 25% mark, till then it was smooth.. at the moment my system is so bitchy that even writing this edit is slow and almost seems to hang. Damn!

Last edited by Morimando on Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
shadow255
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about checking your swap usage? Given what you've said you're running (and I'm guessing you're doing this in KDE) I'm inclined to believe your bottleneck is system RAM. If there's any way you can do it, I'd recommend you double to 1 GB and try things with swap turned off for a while.
Morimando
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought about that but since i'm totally out of money @ the moment (poor student) i can't afford buying a new ramchip for the next 3 months or so..
my /swap partition is 3Gigs, may it have something to do with this?
shadow255
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morimando wrote:
Thought about that but since i'm totally out of money @ the moment (poor student) i can't afford buying a new ramchip for the next 3 months or so..
my /swap partition is 3Gigs, may it have something to do with this?

The more that swap is used, the more likely you will see performance hits for apps that rely on fast memory transactions. Your swap file is plenty big, it's your physical RAM that you need to increase, I'm sorry to say. Save up the best you can!
Morimando
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm why is the memory usage that high?
I remember that with Win XP i could playback video and/or audio while burning and it would never be that slow.
dee2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check that you have udma enabled for the burner, I experience the same slowdown and jerky mouse movement if udma if off on the drive and I start either copying or burning.

Code:
hdparm /dev/hdX

should show
using_dma = 1 (on)
for it.
/carlito
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you should try some other kernel configs and kernels. 512 should be plenty imo!!
If all else fails you could try running another wm...
Morimando
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running Fluxbox as Window Manager, hdparm told me that for both writers using_dma = 1,
kernel-config? What options should i change?
Experienced the same problems using nitro 2.6.10, 2.6.11-rc3-nitro0 and 2.6.11-love1, the latter now in use.
Merlin-TC
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also doubt that it has anything to do with system memory. 512 is plenty to just burn a CD or DVD.

Do you get this slowdown only when burning CDs? Is UDMA turned on for all drives?
We have cdrdao and cdrecord, do you have the same problems with both programs?
phildrip
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What scheduler are you using? I've never had any problems with a similar specced machine to yours (P4 2.6, 512mb) using CFQ scheduler in ck-sources.
Morimando
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using 2.6.11-nitro0 now, which has all CK-patches built in AFAIK, disabled Deadline scheduler and anticipatory scheduler, as i was thinking in the same direction, left only CFQ scheduler enabled, trying k3b right now. Always occurs when burning cue-sheets, don't know if it occurs with cdrecord, but i suspect it does. Doesn't look like a scheduler problem, Buffer status is flipping as usual, although i can type without having wo wait for the characters to appear on screen.. also the music hasn't stopped until now, burnt 20% til now, set speed to 16x (as i don't like burning cue sheets faster, i only burn ordinary data on 44x). Well little improvements are:
- mouse keeps its normal pace,
- keyboard keeps its normal pace,
- music works without interrupting

No change:
- Buffer status falls to 1%, builds up again, falls.. a.s.o, so that doesn't look like a burning process should (Buffer keeping steady at 99% or so)

stopping the music doesn't change anything.
however according to top memory usage is at 500MB used (!!!), swap is 0k used (2,9GB free), X uses 13% CPU, firefox 7%, cdrecord 7%, k3b 2%.
Why isn't the system using swap-space but filling up my RAM? Even after burning is complete, 500MB Ram are used.

By the way: Along the way when building the new kernel i must have forgotten something since
Code:
root@Doomsday morimando # hdparm /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 geometry     = 16383/255/63, sectors = 80060424192, start = 0

that can't be right, it isn't using dma anymore, also the cd/dvd writers don't,
Code:
/dev/hdd:
 HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Invalid argument
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument

got to look into that again..

edit: dma is running for all drives nos. HDIO_GET_MULTICOUNT fails on both writers and also on my sata hard disc. Is that okay?

Last edited by Morimando on Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morimando
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
 cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:       514240 kB
MemFree:         14388 kB
Buffers:           164 kB
Cached:         389816 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:         175668 kB
Inactive:       283232 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:       514240 kB
LowFree:         14388 kB
SwapTotal:     2931820 kB
SwapFree:      2931820 kB
Dirty:           41004 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
Mapped:         104380 kB
Slab:            31564 kB
CommitLimit:   3188940 kB
Committed_AS:    97476 kB
PageTables:        768 kB
VmallocTotal:   516052 kB
VmallocUsed:     25396 kB
VmallocChunk:   487376 kB

i just don't see where my memory should all be used?

edit: fixed the dma-issue, unmerged arts (don't really know why it's been emerged in the 1st place), remerging k3b because it won't start up without arts. Memory usage is (xmms,firefox,gaim,2x eterm, emerge of k3b) 340 MB used, 160 Free. Swap = nothing used, Right after logging on to fluxbox, having xmms and gaim running the mem usage was at 114 MB, which imo is closer to normal than the crap before :)
Morimando
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

addition:
Ram-usage was at 114MB at start, went up to ~320MB while emerging k3b. As soon as i started burning the cue sheet again my memory was all used except 5 MB that remained free. After i closed k3b the memory stays at 515 MB used, so it's all filled and doesn't get emptied.
What shall i do with that?
Cadorna
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morimando wrote:
addition:
Ram-usage was at 114MB at start, went up to ~320MB while emerging k3b. As soon as i started burning the cue sheet again my memory was all used except 5 MB that remained free. After i closed k3b the memory stays at 515 MB used, so it's all filled and doesn't get emptied.
What shall i do with that?

for my little understanding (so this could be totally wrong), 2.6 series manage RAM in more efficient way than 2.4 series, trying to fill your RAM as much as it can, then start using swap, and after you close the program it doens't empty your RAM because it doens't need to, only empty unused objects in RAM when it needs the space for example another program, so don't need to worry about your RAM or swap, they're working just right

if you wanna tweak this behaviour add

Code:

vm.swappiness = 40

to your /etc/sysctl.conf (google for this to find out if you need a higer or lower number)
Morimando
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
/proc/sys/vm/swappiness

is not existant in my system.. might be it isn't included with nitro? 8O
Cadorna
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morimando wrote:
Code:
/proc/sys/vm/swappiness

is not existant in my system.. might be it isn't included with nitro? 8O

I'm using nitro too (2.6.11-rc3-nitro0), and after your message I realized that I don't have it too, mmmmmm

Anyway, my system specs are much lower than yours (PIII, 256 RAM, 512 swap, WD 80 GB udma3 because of my mobo, Acer CDRW 12x8x32) and when i record CDs (using k3b) my buffer it's always full if i don't open new big apps that needs much disk I/O (is it normal guys that disk I/O it's at 100% while recording CDs????), so I usually listen to music and use Konqueror or Firefox while recording, but only if they are opened already
phildrip
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said you'd sorted the hdparm problem - what did you do? Have you got the relevant module for your IDE chipset compiled in the kernel? Not doing that has had me stumped in the past, unable to use DMA.

Don't worry about the memory usage, it's pretty normal for almost all your physical memory to be used almost all the time, as Cadorna said.
Morimando
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i forgot to enable DMA in kernel :oops:
so the memory usage is okay, system has stopped stopping sound when burning, but the buffer swaying so frequently between 1% and 99% still has me confused, my system doesn't seem to run as well as supposed to..
phildrip
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got ide-scsi enabled in the kernel? I don't know what else it could be. :?
Morimando
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope Ide-Scsi i do not have enabled.
the point was "Use PCI DMA by default when available"
bollucks
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not have a ram problem. It is perfectly normal and good for all your physical ram to be full; it is full of both applications and file cache and costs nothing in performance to be kept full. It only costs you once your swap starts being used. To me it looks like your kernel is doing an excellent job at avoiding using swap. Forget your concerns about ram. Your problem is a dma one it seems.
Merlin-TC
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you stuck with windows too long Morimando ;)
Like my predecessor said your memory usage is perfectly fine. I don't understand why the people always want their memory to be free instead of being used ;)

Could you try to burn an image (cue+bin) from a console?
Sometimes the status messages you get in GUIs are not always that precise. You should try cdrecord and cdrdao in the console and check if you get any error or warning messages as well.
Morimando
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah well yes i worked with windows for about 9 to 10 years, ever since i got my own PC.. starting with Windows 3.11 and then the whole series, 95 98 ME 2000 XP home/pro...
I think a got a confession to make.. i totally overlooked one thing: The music i was playing came from my DVD-writer ... so as both CD and DVD writer are on the same IDE channel i guess it's pretty normal that the buffer is swaying around :oops: :oops:
so uhm well.. forgive me pls ^^
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: