package.features?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donjuan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: package.features? Reply with quote

I decided to start a new thread here since this is off topic. This is from the binutils upgrade thread. The discussion went like so
sarumont wrote:
donjuan wrote:
ShawnWheatley wrote:
- Is there an automated way to create these "crucial" binary packages?
I don't know of one for creating binary packages of curcial system packages only, at least automaticaly. On my computer I have FEATURES="buildpkg" in my make.conf so it makes binary packages of EVERYTHING I emerge. So if I emerge a new package and have a problem with it I can mask the new version the type "emerge -k <package>" and it reverts to the ond one without recompiling. If you want to manually create a binary package you can look into quickpkg, which is part of the gentoolkit. All you have to do is "quickpkg <package>" and it creates a package for you. I think it ends up in you portage package directory.

OT this sounds like a good idea for a /etc/portage/package.features. :wink:

I was just wondering how we are supposed to know that we can use the package.features file. Just through logic of deduction? I guess at this point we can assume that just about any environmental variable that can affect a single package has a package.* file, but a google search of "package.features site:gentoo.org" just turns up /etc/portage/bashrc, which looks like where portage has a function to parse the file and do whatever else. So is there no documentation whatsoever concerning this file? There seem to be a few things like this, like when the CLOCK= option got moved from /etc/rc.conf to /etc/conf.d/clock, I just decided to look through bug reports to find out why my computer wasn't keeping time correctly anymore and found that the option had moved. So basically I'm wondering if there's some sort of documentation I'm completely missing.

The Stage 1 on 3 Install
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no officially endorsed package.features file, in that out of the box portage doesn't even look at it, even if it's there. So you're not supposed to know because it doesn't exist. ;-)
As to the bashrc thing - that's how I've set up a per-package environment system (providing per-package CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, FEATURES, and whatnot).

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
donjuan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes more sense now, but it does sound like a good idea for a future version of portage.

The Stage 1 on 3 Install
kojiro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moocha wrote:
There is no officially endorsed package.features file, in that out of the box portage doesn't even look at it, even if it's there. So you're not supposed to know because it doesn't exist. ;-)
As to the bashrc thing - that's how I've set up a per-package environment system (providing per-package CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, FEATURES, and whatnot).

Any more news on this topic? I didn't want to start a dup, but I've begun to need to do some per-package optimizations, and I'm not sure how to go about it... Any help?
Yes, black magic doesn't use parentheses.
--Linux Users' Group of Rochester mailing list
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post my system as soon as I get back from a weekend trip, don't have the time right now, sorry.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
smoked
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My way of doing it:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2319607.html#2319607
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: