Merging *@gentoo.org with forums.gentoo.org
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibrandt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Merging *@gentoo.org with forums.gentoo.org Reply with quote

Hi,

Mail 2 Forum. http://www.m2f.netclectic.com/ Their abstract sums it up pretty well. I like the mailing list replication to USENET via Gmane, and the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter has taken another big step towards uniting the community, but there is still a big disconnect between a lot of the members in the Gentoo community who either exclusively use, or exclusively don't use, the forums.

Regards,

Ian
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this software actually exist?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this related to merging bugs.gentoo.org and forums.gentoo.org ??
ibrandt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Does this software actually exist?

Heh, my bad, I guess it is still under development. I was watching the progress a few months ago in the phpbb forums. I just checked back in recently, and the new website tricked me into thinking there was a release. I should have read it more closely, "The initial release of Mail 2 Forum will inlude the following features..."

Still though, it is an open source project, so perhaps there's some php or mailing list pro's listening that could lend the project a hand? If nothing else we could give our two cents on what features we'd like to see (e.g. many to many relationships between forums and lists, so pre-existing differences can be mapped).
ibrandt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Isn't this related to merging bugs.gentoo.org and forums.gentoo.org ??

Well, I did borrow that threads subject as a template for this one's, but come to think of it, if bugzilla can email out bug notifications, and phpbb can import those emails, then perhaps you could have read only integration of bugs.gentoo.org with forums.gentoo.org. I'm honestly not all that familiar with bugzilla's email capabilities. Can you assign a notification email in bugzilla on a per "product" basis, such all changes to all bugs in that product go to that address? If so you could have a forum per product. Of course you'd still need to go through bugzilla to make any writes to bugs, but at least people who are afraid of bugzilla can stay up on (and search through) what's happening via the forums.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: