Installing IDE PCI Controller
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Installing IDE PCI Controller Reply with quote

I just got a new IDE controller card a SIIG UltraATA 133 PCI card. On the box it says it supports linux. I've installed it and hardware all seems to be good, as it shows on bootup. I had a new hard drive hooked up to it (one of the Western Digitals with 8MB cache and 3 year warranty). However, I have no /dev/hde.

I recompiled the kernel with all the IDE chipsets I could enabled. There were someones at the bottom that I couldn't in xconfig. No luck.

I went to www.siig.com and they make no mention of how to installing linux. Google didn't hit.

However, I put in my trusty Red Hat 8.0 cd started the boot and it found hde. I even started to partition it with disk druid (except disk druid wants to put my swap at the back of the drive, good luck with that).

I pulled out the card, but there was a sticker over the chip so I couldn't see the chipset.

I guess one option would be to installed Redhat on the new drive to see which modules it loads for it. But that is a pain.

cat /proc/pci gives
Code:
  SCSI storage controller: Artop Electronic Corp ATP865 (rev 2).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable.  Latency=254.  Min Gnt=11.Max Lat=4.
      I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdc07].
      I/O at 0xe000 [0xe003].
      I/O at 0xe400 [0xe407].
      I/O at 0xe800 [0xe803].
      I/O at 0xec00 [0xec0f].

Any ideas? I know it can work since it works in Red Hat, so if anyone knows help me out.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
xarfel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: patch for atp865 Reply with quote

Here is the info on where to get a working patch, that sorry excuse for a driver that siig is peddling is useless.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=174230#174230
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Fixed it Reply with quote

That fixed it, except I had to hand patch it since it wouldn't patch. The big worry will be whether the livecd 1.4 will support it. How would I request that?
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
xarfel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, you need to create a simlink to your source directory called, umm...linux-2.4.18-wolk-3.8rc2 I believe it is. That's where the patch looks for the files.
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone has this card it is still not supported in 2.4.20. The patch will not go directly against 2.4.20. I have hand patched a mostly ck3 with alsa if anyone is interested pm me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: