2006.0 Universal CD causes Fast Data Access MMU Miss
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: 2006.0 Universal CD causes Fast Data Access MMU Miss Reply with quote

This has me really confused. I can not boot the 2006.0 universal CD now. I was able to boot the cd before, as I was able to install gentoo.

This is what I see:
Code:
ok boot cdrom
Boot device: /pci@1f,0/ide@d/cdrom@1,0:f  File and args:
SILO

/\\  Gentoo SPARC Linux InstallCD  //\
\//            2006.0              \\/

boot: gentoo
Loading initial ramdisk....
        ERROR: /packages/deblocker: Last Trap: Fast Data Access MMU Miss

Then it locks and I have to power cycle it to get back the OBP. This is on a SunBlade 100, with OBP at 4.17.1. Now the only thing that has changed since I last booted the install CD (when I first installed gentoo) is that I bumped up the memory from 128MB to 1GB. I am able to "boot disk" to boot gentoo (SILO 1.4.11 & 2.6.16-gentoo-r9) just fine. I can also boot my old 2.4 kernel (2.4.32-sparc-r2).

I had found a semi-technical explantion to the MMU Miss errors on a debian-sparc mailing list once. Basically said:
Quote:
It means that the kernel either:

1) dereferenced a bad pointer, such as a NULL or something
2) or it didn't remap the kernel properly into the TLBs
right before taking over the trap table from the firwmare

Sometimes adding "-p" to the kernel boot command line can
get you come debugging messages, but not always.

It is a low level crash, and usually the most useful
piece of information you can provide the developers is
the output of ".registers" from the OBP "ok" prompt
when this kind of crash happens. The PC value dumped
in particular will say where in SILO or the kernel that
the crash occurs.

Unfortunately, since the system locks up and doesn't return me an OBP prompt, I can't get any more information. Booting with "gentoo -p" doesn't return any more information either. Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be the additional memory?
rooihond
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: 2006.0 Universal CD causes Fast Data Access MMU Miss Reply with quote

Hi cac !

I trust that you have seen the posts earlier:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-461017.html

I'm having the same problems on my SB2000. In the end I gave up trying different iso images and making coasters, and resorted to netboot off another box.
cac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have missed it. I figured it would be a strange and unpredictable problem. Ohh well. I am going to have to check out Unbuntu though!

I was mainly trying to make a backup image of the disk (a la G4U), and was able to get around this by using Auroa. The only downside was the rescue porition of Auroa doesn't have NFS support so I ended up using piping dd to tar, then to ssh and cating the conents to a file on another computer used to house the image. I can't remember the exact syntax, but it was wild.

-Chris
rooihond
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: 2006.0 Universal CD causes Fast Data Access MMU Miss Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

I've loaded Aurora and Ubuntu as well - same booting problem - had to netboot them too.

The booting off CD is not a Gentoo or distro issue as far as I can see, but rather a "feature" of SUN and SILO. I take my Solaris 10 disks and boot them every single time.

Do the tftp netboot, then take it from there

Rgds

Derek
rooihond
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: 2006.0 Universal CD causes Fast Data Access MMU Miss Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

You can try Gustavo's experimental LiveCD at http://dev.gentoo.org/~gustavoz/sparc/experimental/

I just downloaded it, and it boots OK.

I'm on a SB2000, 2X900Mhz, 2X36GB, DVD, 2GB RAM, PGX32, OBP 4.16.4

Thanks Gustavo, looks very good.

Rgds

Derek
antipodic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: 2006.0 Universal CD causes Fast Data Access MMU Miss Reply with quote

I had the same problem booting from gentoo's minimal 2006.0 for sparc, but after fiddeling with the OBP commands got the machine booting again.

I followed the indications gentoo's OBT documentation, and ran some diagnostic tests from the ok command:

first, I set the diag switch to true:

Code:

ok obdiag
Searching for selftest methods: SUNW,lomh serial serial pmu i2c-nvram Rejecting alloc-mem!
ok setenv diag-switch? true
diag-switch? =        true
ok setenv auto-boot? false
auto-boot? =          false
ok

after rebooting the server I called obdiag again from the ok prompt, and ran all the tests available. Since then, the machine boots fine both from the cdrom and the disk.

Code:

ok obdiag
|                                 o b d i a g                                                                                     _____________________________________________________________________________
|                                                                                                                                     |
|  1 SUNW,lomh@0,8010      |  2 ethernet@5            |  3 ethernet@c                                 |
|  4 i2c-nvram@0,a0              |  5 ide@d                    |  6 pmu@3                                      |
|  7 serial@0,2e8                  |  8 serial@0,3f8           |  9 usb@a                                      |
|_________________________|_________________________|__________________________|
|   Commands: test test-all except help what printenvs setenv versions exit                         |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

obdiag> exit

My hardware is:

Sun Fire V100 (UltraSPARC-IIe 548MHz)

details:

Firmware: CORE Sun Microsystems, Inc.
@(#) core 1.0.18 2002/05/23 18:22
Probing Memory Bank #0 0 Megabytes
Probing Memory Bank #1 0 Megabytes
Probing Memory Bank #2 512 Megabytes
Probing Memory Bank #3 512 Megabytes
Probing /pci@1f,0 Device 7