LiveCD 2004.3 Boot Problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: LiveCD 2004.3 Boot Problem Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have another Ultra Sparc 10 with almost the same spec as my other Ultra Sparc 10, except that this one has only 512MB of RAM instead of 1GB.

I was able to boot LiveCD 2004.3 successfully in my first UltraSparc 10, but somehow I can't do that in my second UltraSparc10. I noticed that both OBP and POST version are the same (OBP v3.31.0, POST v3.1.0). The aliases are exactly the same.

The funny thing is that I was able to boot Solaris 9 in the second UltraSparc10. When I tried to boot LiveCD 2004.3 (exactly the same CD that I used to boot my first UltraSparc 10), it gave the following error:

Can't read disk label.
Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device

Any ideas to fix this? Thanks.
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must add that this error of "Can't read disk label" happened after I issued "boot cdrom" in the OBP prompt. I already have Solaris 9 preinstalled in my second UltraSparc 10's hard drive and I can boot to it with no problem at all. As I stated before, I also have absolutely no problem in booting to Solaris 9 installation CD.

Please help.
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to add...

This is not a magic number error that's mentioned in some other threads. Also, I've tried "boot cdrom:c" and "boot cdrom:f". It doesn't work.
micheloe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not sure if this applies to you, but a while ago I've bought 10 Ultra10's at once, from which I was able to create 6 working systems. From those systems, some would boot from my burned CD-ROM's, while other totally refused to boot from it. Swapping CD-ROM drives, (sometimes) reburning the ISO-image at a lower speed resolved the problem.

In my case the CD-ROM players in the Ultra10 aren't very reliable anymore. But hey, it's an old system after all... And yes, sometimes booting from an original CD-ROM worked, while booting from a burned CD-ROM failed miserably. You'll also want to use good quality CDR's.

If it boots Solaris just fine, it should be able to boot from any CD. But maybe the CD-ROM player from your second Ultra10 is more worn out than the one in your first?

Good luck,

Michel
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Michel, I'll try to swap CDROM drives and burning the CD at a lower rate. Thank you.
N715DP
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same trouble with an old Ultra 10 I had laying around at the office collecting dust (I wonder how many Ultra 10's are "laying around somewhere collecting dust" right now).

I burned the ISO at my burners max speed which is 52X and was not able to boot from it, same error the original poster has. I haven't had a chance yet to re-burn the image down in the 12X range, but I have talked to a few people who have said that it's best when burning bootable CD's that you stay at or below 16X.

Hopefully, when I get home tonight and re-burn the disk I will be able to boot from it. Will post back (if I can remember) if it works for me.
mondauge
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Same problem here. Every time I try to boot the new 2005.0 boot cd (minimal) on a SUN Blade 100 I get this error message:

Code:
Can't read disk label.
Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device

I have tried several CD medias and I burned them with various speed-settings. To no avail :(
Is there anything else I can try?
marcion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just use the 2004.3 boot cd (or any livecd that works for you - at the most extreme you could try Knoppix) to get the miminal install done. Then use portage to emerge the world. Since you checked the max speed of the Cdrom and burned a CD at a low speed (i.e. under 20x), then that is not the problem in this case.

Can you network the two machines together and do a network install?
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, there is no Knoppix type LiveCD available on the SPARC platform.

In OBP, if you type devalias at the "OK" prompt, what does the line starting with cdrom show?
marcion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeve wrote:
As far as I know, there is no Knoppix type LiveCD available on the SPARC platform

Oh sorry, good point! That is a good project for someone then.
mondauge
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When issuing the command 'devalias' several mappings are shown. I'm not so aquainted with SUN machines, but I think the relevant ones are cdrom, cdrom1 and cdrom2:
Code:
cdrom   /pci@1f,0/ide@d/cdrom@1,0:f
cdrom1  /pci@1f,0/ide@d/cdrom@1,0:f
cdrom2  /pci@1f,0/ide@d/cdrom@2,0:f

If you need the rest of the mappings however, I will gladly provide them.

thanks for helping,
mondauge
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm, that looks like what I have on my Blade 100 as well. I'll try the minimal LiveCD out tonight and post my results then.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: