View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoschi
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
hoschi wrote:
Two Questions:

We don't need SCSI-CDROM-Support in the kernel, or? Why?

What have you included for alsa sound in the kernel, i need ac97 (intel) and hd-audio (intel)?

I think hoschi's suffering a bit from Alzeimer ;) : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2364838.html#2364838 . You can look at Sejam's first post in that thread if you want to know about SCSI support in kernel. Here's mine:
Code:
# zgrep -iE '^config_scsi' /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_AHCI=y
CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX=y
CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX=y

No, you are wrong! I miss in this config High-Defenition-Audio support ;)

Quote:

CONFIG-SND_AC97_CODEC=y
CONFIG_SND_INTEL8X0=y
CONFIG_HDA_INTEL=y

i915GM Supports High-Defintion-Audio (CONFIG_HDA_INTEL=y), but i needed INTEL8X0 for my Sound :/
So here is the quesition, why i need both (8X0 and HDA)?

You could kill PIIX and QULA2XXX support in your kernel ;)
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoschi wrote:

Code:
<*>   Intel PIIX/ICH SATA support

Are you sure? ICH is the detected chipset. Have you tried without?
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does snd-hda-intel module add and what applications use it? I've added as a module to my kernel but it was not loaded by coldplug. There is no difference either with alsa-mixer or sound control applets. Is it really supported?
hoschi
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
hoschi wrote:

Code:
<*>   Intel PIIX/ICH SATA support

Are you sure? ICH is the detected chipset. Have you tried without?

SORRY! I tought at my desktop at home with a VIA-KT880 chipset :bang:

But i am sure i915 support High-Definition-Audio: http://www.computerbase.de/news/hardware/prozessoren/intel/2005/januar/intel_sonoma-plattform/
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High definition audio is a feature of the i915gm but it's up to the notebook/mainbord vendors whether they implement it - well, most do not. The Dell I6000 has the very standard AC97 sound standard implemented instead.

HDA brings such "fency" features as "intelligent" plugs that can decide whether there is a headphone or a microphone plugged in and than use the plug as line-in or line-out. The sound quality should generaly be better (sampling rates, bit rates, noice, ...) but HDA doesn't say anything about the implemented A/D bridges thus. I don't know how well the driver support is on Linux.

EDIT: this threat is about Xorg on i915gm so maybe you should go to the dell i6000 threat or open up a new one as the sound stuff is little off-topic here.
hoschi
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, thanks! I will send a e-mail to ibm-germany.
What's about opening a new thread in documentation-forum about i915G/GM?

we have here some things: s-ata and cdrom-drives, acpi and cpu-speed, graphics, resolution problems on some laptops and maybe sound features

I think this will be not a bad idea, also a little wiki for i915 will be usefull
btw: with kernel 2.6.12-rc6 i solved my video color problems, but i can install ipw2200 (generall problem?)?
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoschi wrote:
What's about opening a new thread in documentation-forum about i915G/GM?
we have here some things: s-ata and cdrom-drives, acpi and cpu-speed, graphics, resolution problems on some laptops and maybe sound features. I think this will be not a bad idea, also a little wiki for i915 will be usefull.

I personally find the laptop specific docs much more usefull. As you can see in this thread it's hard to answer questions about a hardware platform like i915gm in general as the implementation is very different for every notebook - and if you want to have i915G and i915GM covered in the doc it get's even worse.

In the Dell I6000 docs there were allready some strang discussions about different hardware revisons and we have to deal with different graphic cards, cd-roms and so on. It would be a great deal if we could oversee the docs ones everything is working fine and write a good summary for the Dell I6000 - the thread is 10 pages atm.

If this target is archived one might write a very basic howto of i915gm (with links to the specifc laptop). But this would mean one has to read the long threads of other laptops to combine the infos and what cames out is of less use then the laptop related docs.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoschi wrote:
But i am sure i915 support High-Definition-Audio: http://www.computerbase.de/news/hardware/prozessoren/intel/2005/januar/intel_sonoma-plattform/

Do you have an English version of that article?
hoschi
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, no.
this picture should also show enough information:
http://pics.computerbase.de/news/9859/10.png
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
seppelrockt wrote:
And for the PCI 0:2:1 error mentioned below by someone - I have this message, too but it doesn't harm. I think this is for the VGA out of the Notebook, but I never realy understood all those pipe messages in xorg.log

There are two things out there.

First i915 has dual hadware "entry". The video card seems to be seen twice the same adapter. In fact this is by design. Intel says the adapter is split into two parts for acceleration in case applications can take profit of them. Using both hardware interfaces is said by Intel to speed up transfers.

Next there are pipes. Pipes are video heads or terminals. They have nothing to do with the bus IDs that XOrg sees. On a Dell inspiron, I think there are three pipes. One is for the flat panel (LFP), one for the video out (CRT) and one for S-Video out.

Xorg man pages say there should be a device section for each pipe on the system. I tried to create a device for the second PCI bus ID but it was useless and the warning message was still there. IMHO it is up to XOrg (or to the kernel) to manage both interfaces for the video card in a way that's transparent to the user. This can significantly increase frame rates I think. Looking at the warning message we all get makes me think neither XOrg or kernel modules fully support both interfaces at the same time; I think they only use one. But it's only a guess and I have no clue.

Hope this helped you a little, seppelrockt ;).

OK, after my Dell went quite fine now even with the newest Dell BIOS and vanilla-sources and xorg-x11-6.8.99.xx I would be glad to speed up the VGA a little. I have ~980 fps with glxgears. KDE behaves a little slow on creating GUI elements end NWN doesn't run well. Where did you get the information above and did you find any bug report about that yet in xorg or kernel bugzilla? I want to fill one if it doesn't already exist (and therefor need infos).
thomasa88
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dri wont work for me :(, screen gets black (and sometimes colored lines to the right) and then the computer mostly hangs.

I have Dell Bios A07 (Intel driver 1219)
Latest vanilla (2.6.12.2)
and X.org (8.6.99.14)

And I get this errors from X.org:
Code:

(EE) end of block range 0xec3f < begin 0xec40

:'(
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomasa88 wrote:
Dri wont work for me :(, screen gets black (and sometimes colored lines to the right) and then the computer mostly hangs.

I have Dell Bios A07 (Intel driver 1219)
Latest vanilla (2.6.12.2)
and X.org (8.6.99.14)

And I get this errors from X.org:
Code:

:'(

I have Dell Bios A07 (Intel VGA 1219)
gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r4 (works with splashutils + vesafb-tng + 1280x800)
xorg-x11-8.6.99.13 (8.6.99.14 didn't work here - no X, freezes)

The block range errors are "normal" - I have them with every combination of BIOS, kernel, xorg.
Try downgrading xorg!
thomasa88
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Ill try as soon as I get to my Gentoo :)
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seppelrockt wrote:
VinzC wrote:
First i915 has dual hadware "entry". The video card seems to be seen twice the same adapter. In fact this is by design. Intel says the adapter is split into two parts for acceleration in case applications can take profit of them. Using both hardware interfaces is said by Intel to speed up transfers.

Where did you get the information above and did you find any bug report about that yet in xorg or kernel bugzilla?

I finally found this page back, on Intel web site. But as for the rest Xorg and i810 man pages gave me the information.

I didn't submit any bug report though. Since Xorg is being somehow refunded I didn't feel like this was the moment to. I expect i915 will be fully supported in the upcoming next version.
nabla²
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for that post but I just don't know where to start. It's the first time I don't use Suse and a-one-click-and-you-get-the-nvidia-driver system. I own a Samsung X20 with Intel i915GM. I want to have a better resolution without X (do I have to use framebuffer?) but no picture in the background (at least at the moment). And I need to configure Xorg. So what kernel (how to configure?) and Xorg do I need? i know there are several threads but one says use a dri (?) snapshot, one says don't use one, it's rather confusing. Additionally, I don't have a fast and cheap internet connection so I can't download every version to see it's not working.

Thanks, you are really helping me
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nabla² wrote:
Sorry for that post but I just don't know where to start. It's the first time I don't use Suse and a-one-click-and-you-get-the-nvidia-driver system. I own a Samsung X20 with Intel i915GM. I want to have a better resolution without X (do I have to use framebuffer?) but no picture in the background (at least at the moment). And I need to configure Xorg. So what kernel (how to configure?) and Xorg do I need? i know there are several threads but one says use a dri (?) snapshot, one says don't use one, it's rather confusing. Additionally, I don't have a fast and cheap internet connection so I can't download every version to see it's not working.

Thanks, you are really helping me

First Unmask XOrg 6.8.99.13. Then you can download Klavs' xorg.conf at the beginning of this thread. Don't use DRI snapshots for it's not required anymore and the masked version of XOrg is able to use i915 native resolutions. You'll find i915 drm module in the kernel. I'm using suspend v2 kernel sources in fact but they're plain Vanilla sources plus patches required for suspend-to-disk.

It seems you can now use the latest Gentoo sources with vesa-tng if you want a nice graphics boot screen and yet use XOrg with your screen's full resolution. We all experienced console screen corruption with vesa-tng but seppelrockt seems to say that works now. Vesa-tng will allow you to use your screen's full resolution on consoles.

But one step at a time ;-) . Start with unmasked version of XOrg I mentioned. This is the simplest step. You can try splash utils and vesa-tng afterwards.

Klavs' xorg.conf uses modelines however, which is not required since XOrg now supports i915. You can generate an xorg.conf by running xorgconfig. The touchy part is about refresh rates. Here is my "device" section (I have 1680x1050 WSXGA+):
Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "WSXGA"
    HorizSync   31.5 - 100
    VertRefresh 30-90
    Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

EDIT: Next, to setup a framebuffer console with graphics splash screen, follow the bootsplash HOWTO or the fbsplash HOWTO. The latter uses the most recent updates and features from Spock. It includes a nice fade-in.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by VinzC on Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
nabla²
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. Xorg is working now with the best resolution possible (had to use the 855resolution tool).:D

---Edit---
glxgears gives me about 1126 FPS.
---/Edit---

Here is a part of my xorg.conf
Code:
Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Standard VGA"
   VendorName   "Unknown"
   BoardName "Unkown"
   Driver    "vga"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier   "i915GM"
   Driver   "i810"
EndSection

Do I need the Standard VGA? Is Driver "i810" right?
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nabla² wrote:
Do I need the Standard VGA? Is Driver "i810" right?

No you don't. But you can leave it as it might be used as a fallback. I didn't remove it from mine anyway. Driver i810 is the right one. It has built-in support for some Intel based chipsets, including i915.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seppelrockt wrote:
I have Dell Bios A07 (Intel VGA 1219)
gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r4 (works with splashutils + vesafb-tng + 1280x800)
xorg-x11-8.6.99.13 (8.6.99.14 didn't work here - no X, freezes)

Can you post - or, better, provide a link to your kernel config? I've tried gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r6 and all I can get is a black screen - as with every attempt I made using vesa-tng to get full-screen consoles. My full screen resolution is 1680x1050. You can also just post the diff' (e.g. diff -Naur x y) between your config and mine. I'm especially interrested in the ramdisk size - should it ever matter.
Tr1cH
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys!

I want to know if we can get the DRI working. I have the lastest vamilla source with i915 activated in the kernel as a module and the cvs version of xorg. Kde works well but I have some difficulties to play dvd witout any interuptions... :cry:
Did you explained how to do this in the last posts ?
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tr1cH wrote:
Hey guys!

I want to know if we can get the DRI working. I have the lastest vamilla source with i915 activated in the kernel as a module and the cvs version of xorg. Kde works well but I have some difficulties to play dvd witout any interuptions... :cry:
Did you explained how to do this in the last posts ?

Are you sure DMA is enabled for the DVD driver?
thomasa88
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a patch in these forums somewhere for dma on the dvd-drive in Dell laptops which uses scsi or was it sata :P. Anyway the file that is patched is called libata.

Anyway, I can still not get xorg to work ok with i810 driver. I have tried all the latest xorg-x11 ~x86 and latest vanilla sources (in portage) with dell inspiron bios A07
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomasa88 wrote:
Anyway, I can still not get xorg to work ok with i810 driver. I have tried all the latest xorg-x11 ~x86 ...

But you did not try the package.mask'ed xorg 6.8.99? You'll need to unmask it using both package.unmask and package.keywords.

MacGillicuddy's Corollary: At the most inopportune time.

Please search and read the FAQs before posting.
manny15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: FYI: Intel i915 DRI kernel driver and Xorg i810 driver Reply with quote

I have a Dell Dimentsion 2350 with an onboard intel 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE graphics card. Prior to xorg 6.8, DRI worked fine. I was using the kernel i810 (I think) and the Xorg i810 driver. But, with xorg 6.8, I had to switch to the i915 kernel driver to even get X to load. DRI did not work. I had to use a non-GL screensaver otherwise X would crash and burn.

Anyway, somewhere along the way, things got better. DRI sort of started working. glxinfo reported DRI was enabled but when ever I would try to use DRI (even the glxinfo program itself), X would hang for a few seconds, and then I would get a kernel oops. The system nor X crashed, but my mouse would drag.

The kernel oops was something about IRQ 9 being disabled. "No body cared." Now, look at this:
Code:

$ cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0       
  0:    4775852          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       6393          XT-PIC  i8042
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  3:          0          XT-PIC  uhci_hcd:usb3
  5:          0          XT-PIC  uhci_hcd:usb2, i915@pci:0000:00:02.0
  8:          2          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:     358906          XT-PIC  uhci_hcd:usb1
 11:         46          XT-PIC  ehci_hcd:usb4, Intel 82801DB-ICH4
 12:        110          XT-PIC  i8042
 14:      14440          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:         32          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
LOC:    4776444
ERR:          0

IRQ 9 seems to be one of the USB busses. Which would explain my mouse acting up since it's USB. Luckily, the oops included a message suggesting that I boot with "irqpoll." So I added irqpoll to the kernel line in GRUB. And guess what, it worked! DRI works now :)

I'm not sure what IRQ 9 has to do with it, but if I'm not mistaking, IRQ 9 is sharable, although it's actually linked to IRQ 2. So I'm thinking I was somehow getting an IRQ conflict. From my bit of research, irqpoll... "helps in reducing driver initialization failures in second kernel due to shared interrupts." The only thing I could think of is that AGP as trying to use IRQ 9 when I tried DRI. Doesn't make much sense to me. But at least using irqpoll works.
thomasa88
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
thomasa88 wrote:
Anyway, I can still not get xorg to work ok with i810 driver. I have tried all the latest xorg-x11 ~x86 ...

But you did not try the package.mask'ed xorg 6.8.99? You'll need to unmask it using both package.unmask and package.keywords.

at least I could emerge 6.8.99.14..., which is the latest in portage?

edit. I saw someone mentioning .15 somewhere here, so I maybe havent tried the ultimate latest but I dont have time to compile 45 mins everyday and I dont want my laptop running over night :P

manny15: Ill will remember that when I get so far :P

edit.
Would it make any differ running the drivers as modules and not compiled into the kernel?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: