View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Linux: Efficient Cross Compiling Reply with quote

Hi,

This came up recently at kerneltrap. Might be interresing to post here:

Linux: Efficient Cross Compiling

I leave it up to you to decide how useful this is within the Gentoo framework :wink:

Cheers
qarce
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meowsqueak wrote:
As an exercise in almost certain futility, I'm seeing how far I can get with installing Gentoo-PPC on one of our embedded ppc_860 processors. I currently have one booting off NFS with the Montavista Hardhat distribution. I untarred the Gentoo-PPC stage 2 tarball and attempted to 'chroot'. Got a few library dependency problems, which 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/ppc-gentoo/lib' fixed. The next message was:

# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/ppc-gentoo/lib ./bash
./bash: /lib/ld.so.1: version `GLIBC_PRIVATE' not found (required by /ppc-gentoo/lib/libdl.so.2)
./bash: /lib/ld.so.1: version `GLIBC_PRIVATE' not found (required by /ppc-gentoo/lib/libc.so.6)

This was 'fixed' by symlinking /lib/ld.so.1 in my hardhat NFS to /gentoo/lib/ld.so.1. Unfortunately, everything I now run segmentation faults.

Hi, so I think the group I work with found the answer to this problem. The first was... did the libc version with your compiler match the target root libc version? The second issue where any application not static would seg fault turned out to be a ppc asm problem in the kernel. Guess the lesson is always know where your kernel sources come from and check the libc version when you have ld problems.

Is there any way I can work out why it's seg faulting? I'm assuming here (and it might be a fairly big assumption) that the Gentoo-PPC stage 2 tarball contains binaries that can run on the ppc_860. Anybody know for sure?

Perhaps I'd be better off installing from Stage 1? I already have a cross compiler and glibc-2.3.2 cross-compiled. I noticed a 'Stage 0' tarball on the FTP server - what's that for?

Edit: as you can see, I have no idea what I'm doing... but it's been fun thus far...
what.
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: possible solution Reply with quote

I was running into the same "cannot compute sizeof (long double)" error emerging glibc (trying to recompile my toolchain). Found this thread trying to (unsuccessfully) google up an answer.

Anyway, long story short, check your LDFLAGS. I had some riced-out flags I'd seen in some forum and blindly stuck in my make.conf back in my rookie days, and removing LDFLAGS from my make.conf entirely solved this problem for me.
trunet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem here, and I don't have any LDFLAGS in my make.conf!

I'd a emerge -u glibc to 3.3.5 and I can't compile anything. Any clues?

Any ideas?

tkz...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: