Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Bootloader configuration problems + Maybe a keymap issue?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.Camp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Bootloader configuration problems + Maybe a keymap issue? Reply with quote

Alright, well, I'm fairly new to Linux in general, and after many troubles with Fedora Core 3 I'm making the leap to Gentoo. This morning was my 6th attempt, and so far closest one to completion, as I actually got to reboot, and attempt to enter the environment. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I'm going to go through a list of things I think I did wrong..

I used the handbook found here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

Everything was fine until I got to section 8c where it says this:

Code:
Code Listing 24: Opening /etc/rc.conf

# nano -w /etc/rc.conf

As you can see, this file is well commented to help you set up the necessary configuration variables. Take special care with the KEYMAP setting: if you select the wrong KEYMAP you will get weird results when typing on your keyboard.

Note: Users of USB-based SPARC systems and SPARC clones might need to select an i386 keymap (such as "us") instead of "sunkeymap".

PPC uses x86 keymaps on most systems. Users who want to be able to use ADB keymaps on boot have to enable ADB keycode sendings in their kernel and have to set a mac/ppc keymap in rc.conf.

When you're finished configuring /etc/rc.conf, save and exit, then continue with Installing Necessary System Tools.

Now, My keyboard is plugged into the USB port, and I don't know if not editing the rc.conf file to configure it was the problem. The only reason I believe there was a keyboard problem was when I rebooted, there were quite a few errors, and I actually had to unplug the computer from the wall to get it to turn off. What happened when I rebooted, is I was greeted with "Gentoo Kernel 2.4.28-r7" and "Windows XP." (Since I'm running a dual-boot system). I selected Gentoo, it booted for a few seconds, then something along the lines of "FSCK" with an error after it, saying that in order to correct it I needed to hit Control + C. I tried to hit it, but nothing happened. I started hitting random keys, and nothing was working. That's when I supposed that my keyboard settings were screwed in the rc.conf.

After this incident, I restarted my computer, and went to try to use the Windows XP partition. When that didn't work, I knew I screwed up the bootloader file. I used this from the handbook, since I used genkernel.

Code:
Code Listing 4: grub.conf for genkernel users

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.4.26-r9
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.4.26-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3
initrd /initrd-2.4.26-gentoo-r9

# Only in case you want to dual-boot
title=Windows XP
root (hd0,5)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Now, That's the normal code from the handbook, but I had to edit it, because Gentoo was supposed to be on my hdb, and Windows on my hda. So I changed it to this:

Code:
Code Listing 4: grub.conf for genkernel users

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.4.28-r7
root (hd1,0)
kernel /kernel-2.4.28-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hdb3
initrd /initrd-2.4.28-gentoo-r7

# Only in case you want to dual-boot
title=Windows XP
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

I'm definately positive I screwed it up. I currently have 3 hard drives hooked up:

hda: Windows XP
hdb1: Linux /boot
hdb2: Linux /swap
hdb3: Linux /something?
hdc: CD-Rom Drive/CD-Burner
hdd: NTFS Hard drive, with nothing but music and stuff on it.

I'm so close, but so far...

EDIT:

Code:
10.d. Rebooting the System

Exit the chrooted environment and unmount all mounted partitions. Then type in that one magical command you have been waiting for: reboot.

Code Listing 14: Unmounting all partitions and rebooting

# exit
cdimage ~# cd
cdimage ~# umount /mnt/gentoo/boot /mnt/gentoo/proc /mnt/gentoo
cdimage ~# reboot

Of course, don't forget to remove the bootable CD, otherwise the CD will be booted again instead of your new Gentoo system.

Once rebooted in your Gentoo installation, finish up with Finalizing your Gentoo Installation.

When I did this, everything was fine except everything. I typed exit, and it took me to livecd ~: # instead of cdimage ~#. When I typed umount /mnt/gentoo/boot /mnt/gentoo/proc /mnt/gentoo I just got an error, saying it couldn't use the command umount. Frustrated I typed in reboot, and got about 10 seconds worth of errors scrolling down my screen..I attempted to eject my disk, nothing working, so I unplugged the computer from the wall.
R.Camp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone?
Enlight
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boot on the live cd and do a fsck on your hard drive! the way you reboot is the best way to corrupt a filesystem...
R.Camp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlight wrote:
boot on the live cd and do a fsck on your hard drive! the way you reboot is the best way to corrupt a filesystem...

I suppose I corrupted it then, as the only way I could access my Windows partition to get back onto the internet was to install Fedora Core 3 again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: