Solution ideas for application
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyreth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Solution ideas for application Reply with quote

Hi,

This is a programming question, not a portage one. I'm stuck on where to ask and the solution to the problem. I have a lot of data - memberships, clubs, etc, but I don't know the best way to store it. Others will be using this database too. The problem is that they want to be able to retrieve and sort the data in a lot of ways, and I'm not sure which path is the best - Qt app with MySQL, or PHP/MySQL/Apache, or something else. They have lots of different search requirements, including needing to print mailing labels, etc. I would go with PHP, but the sheer number of search options is daunting. If I use php then basically I would have to configure the intranet website to use a certain set of queries with options.

Currently they link the data in Access and use that to do the more complex queries, but I'd like to avoid that.

So, I'm aware of Qt/python/MySQL, PHP, but what other options are there for database and front end development? It seems to me there must be other solutions available, but I don't know what.

Sorry I can't phrase my question more coherently, hopefully you can get something out of it to help me with.
johnnymac
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your sort of heading in the right direction by wanting this to be a Web-based application - and it should be. It's so much easier to handle the N-Tier architecture in a Web-based scenario. So, here are some options. For all of these, your basic GUI portion would be developed using HTML like tags.

AVOID USING IIS ON ANYTHING - Holy Hack Me Bat Man...

PHP/MySQL/Apache - Linux server
PHP/MySQL/Apache - Windows Server
PHP/SQL Server/Apache - Linux Server
PHP/SQL Server/Apache - Windows Server
PHP/MS Access/Apache - Windows Server
PHP/Apache On Linux that connects to a Windows hosting an MS Access database....

There are many many options; however, I would only look at two basic languages PHP or JSP and keep the database to MySQL or SQL Server...MS Access is okay but limited.

Hopefully this helps...if not, you can send me your DFD (Data Flow Diagram) and let me look at it....I can make a better suggestion when I see it. Here's my e-mail - jnorden@gmail.com
I'd rather see one than be one.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: