View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falcon_za
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: the ubuntu version of gnome Reply with quote

Hi, I've been playing around with ubuntu lately. It is nice, but I wouldn't leave my gentoo for it.

However, there is one thing I want: their gnome version. they modified the desktop, so that there are no icons on it. The trash/network/Computer icons are relocated to the "action" menu, which is renamed for this occasion(forgot the name, but it is consistent with what's in). and the configuration tools are moved from the program menu to that second menu. they also added the trash as an applet.

To me, this is much more pleasant to use than the default gnome setup that has icons on the desk. I like to use my desktop as a temporary workspace; drop things there, and sort them when work is done.

How to do this on my gentoo? Do I have to change something in the source, and build my own gnome, which I won't do, or can it be achieved just by playing with a few configuration files/tools?
monkey89
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can tell you is that you can remove the desktop icons in the Gconf editor, under apps->nautilus->desktop, just check off the *_icon_visible boxes.
ecoffey
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: the ubuntu version of gnome Reply with quote

falcon_za wrote:
Hi, I've been playing around with ubuntu lately. It is nice, but I wouldn't leave my gentoo for it.

However, there is one thing I want: their gnome version. they modified the desktop, so that there are no icons on it. The trash/network/Computer icons are relocated to the "action" menu, which is renamed for this occasion(forgot the name, but it is consistent with what's in). and the configuration tools are moved from the program menu to that second menu. they also added the trash as an applet.

To me, this is much more pleasant to use than the default gnome setup that has icons on the desk. I like to use my desktop as a temporary workspace; drop things there, and sort them when work is done.

How to do this on my gentoo? Do I have to change something in the source, and build my own gnome, which I won't do, or can it be achieved just by playing with a few configuration files/tools?

What Ubuntu version was it, and what Gnome version was it?

Because a few days ago I played around with a Gnome 2.10-beta LiveCD (the LiveCD was based on Ubuntu technology actually), and it had that kinda setup (except there were icons on the desktop), and the trash applet and such.

So, what I'm thinking is that Ubuntu might be grabbing patches from Gnome CVS or something? :?
falcon_za
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: the ubuntu version of gnome Reply with quote

ecoffey wrote:

Because a few days ago I played around with a Gnome 2.10-beta LiveCD (the LiveCD was based on Ubuntu technology actually), and it had that kinda setup (except there were icons on the desktop), and the trash applet and such.

So, what I'm thinking is that Ubuntu might be grabbing patches from Gnome CVS or something? :?

It was the stable 4.10 hoary Hedgedog, standard install, right out of the box
shadowfac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkey89 wrote:
All I can tell you is that you can remove the desktop icons in the Gconf editor, under apps->nautilus->desktop, just check off the *_icon_visible boxes.

Awesome! So glad to be rid of that trash can.
ecoffey
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: the ubuntu version of gnome Reply with quote

falcon_za wrote:
ecoffey wrote:

It was the stable 4.10 hoary Hedgedog, standard install, right out of the box

Yeah, I think Ubuntu is patching upstream from Gnome CVS in Hoary. Since Unbuntu decided to use names instead of version numbers like sane people, I have no idea if Hoary is the 'devel/unstable' branch/release of Ubuntu. But yeah. They're running Gnome 2.9.x and probably additionally patched with their stuff.
shadowfac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkey89 wrote:
That did work great ..... but I haven't found a way to empty trash without tturning the icon back on to do it. Is there a way?
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GNOME 2.10 will have a significantly different default menu layout, you might want to wait for that to hit before messing with stuff.

As far as emptying the trash, gnome-applets-2.10 will include the trash applet, just like ubuntu has.

I don't know if there's another way to empty it.
UB|K
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can install gnome 2.9.91 (-> 2.10beta1) from Breakmygentoo's main overlay.
If you don't want to break gnome, just emerge gnome-menu, gnome-panel and gnome-applets, that should do it (didn't tested this solution, i've emerged whole gnome 2.9.91)
shadowfac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I see. I'm just gettin set up in Linux and still searching for the pgm's that will give a working digital studio (art). I can live with it till I have time to break things :)

Hey! I just had an idea and it works :D
Code:
rm .Trash/*
Cleaned out my tash can.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: