View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bläk-kahr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: managed to break KDM....completely Reply with quote

I'm having trouble with kdm.

I log in via kdm and regardless of what session I choose I end up with a 80x24 xterm at +0+0 with no wm.

In trying to fix things I've removed all sessions except for /etc/X11/Sessions/kde-3.1 which just calls /usr/kde/3.1/bin/startkde. I have in my kdmrc SessionType=kde-3.1.

I'm completely lost here, anyone have some ideas?

cheers
--Ben
madpenguin8
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: /usr/kde/3.1/share/config/kdm/kdmrc Reply with quote

Look there.
iaaipjcm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Solved: kdm missing wm's and doesn't launch what I selected Reply with quote

Solved: kdm missing wm's and doesn't launch what I selected

I log in via kdm and there are no wm's listed. I fixed that by adding my wm's to the Session Types list. Use the same naming and capitalization as they are listed in the /etc/X11/Sessions/ folder. Here's how to get there via the KDE GUI:

Code:
K > Settings > Control Center > System Administration > Login Manager > Administrator Mode > Sessions

I also found how to do it manually, by adding my wm's to the SessionTypes= line in the [X-*-Greeter] section of /usr/kde/3.1/share/config/kdm/kdmrc (correct path as needed). For example:

Code:
SessionTypes=kde-3.1,fluxbox,icewm

But...

I log in via kdm and regardless of which wm/session I choose I end up with an 80x24 xterm at +0+0 with no wm (aka xsm).

I searched the forums and finally fixed my problem using axslinger's fix. Add the following lines to the [X-*-Core] section of /usr/kde/3.1/share/config/kdm/kdmrc (correct paths as needed):

Code:

Reset=/usr/kde/3.1/share/config/kdm/Xreset
Resources=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources
Session=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession
Setup=/usr/kde/3.1/share/config/kdm/Xsetup
Startup=/usr/kde/3.1/share/config/kdm/Xstartup

Note: I noticed also that if I click the Defaults button from this GUI:
Code:
K > Settings > Control Center > System Administration > Login Manager > Administrator Mode > Sessions

That the lines I added to fix the above problems are again lost. For that reason, I recommend keeping a backup of your kdmrc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: