gentoo on cell?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ness01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: gentoo on cell? Reply with quote

Are you going to port gentoo to cell?
If its as good as heard everywhere I think really much people were interested in doing that.
OK, I now this is much to do. I heard that it is uses a PowerPC core (PXU). And there are already ppc sources...
I'm a programmer, but I don't know how much work it is to port linux/gentoo. Of course I would do sth if I could, but I've never done sth like that...
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess first we would need a linux kernel capable of suporting it then i would guess about 6months before enough developers who have bought it get interested, sony and ibm both have history{1} suporting linux so i would guess they have some developers on it as we speak but its still a year till these chips hit the real world, ibm might have them in mainframes sooner but not much.

i would specificly buy a playstation3 if i could run linux on it and the last console i bought was a sega megadrive, my bet would be theirs a bunch of apps that would benifit from this chip but whether this disrupts ibms plans for the server market is another story.

{1} well ibm has lots, all sony did was produce a kit that let you put linux on the playstation 2
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: