EVMS Engine API *blinkblink*
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petyr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: EVMS Engine API *blinkblink* Reply with quote

Okay this one has been driving me bonkers for the past several days.

I've configured EVMS in the kernel (gentoo-sources)
I've installed lvm-user
I've installed evms (emerge evms)

I start up the evmsgui and I get a collection of errors that even google doesn't return a hit on for me (or I'm just not using the right search string...)

Jan 10 15:45:34 Engine: The plug-in Ext2/3 in module /lib/evms/libe2fsim.1.2.1.so requires Engine services API version (8.1.0) which is greater than this Engine's services API version (8.0.0).

Jan 10 15:45:34 Engine: The plug-in failed to load.

I also get an XFS error but that's explained away by the fact that I didn't install XFS at all.
Now comes the more amusing part. The Gentoo LiveCD has the exact same error.
Now I basically (possibly stupidly) ignored this error and created a LVM volume following instructions that I found from various articles. After bashing my head into a wall for a while I got an actual volume created, mounted, with ext3 on it.
Once I mounted it though I couldn't do anything else with the volume in evmsgui. If I unmount the volume I can do whatever I want (most notably expand the volume), but the entire point of evms is to not have to unmount.
So where do I go and what do I need to upgrade?
burmashave
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get EVMS setup pretty much as you described yours, and I haven't had any problems, although I have created only ReiserFS volumes. In the evms gui, my Ext2/Ext3 plugin shows (right click on the plugin to get the details):
Code:

Plugin Version: 1.1.1
Required Engine Services Version: 8.0.0
Required Engine FSIM API Version: 8.0.0

When I set this up, I emerged the evms-1.2.0-r1 ebuild. Is that the one you used? Have you tried unmerging/re-emerging EVMS?

I vaguely remember installing additional plugins after I set this up, although I'm pretty sure that the Ext2/Ext3 plugin was setup during the initial install. That said, I believe there is a way to uninstall/install plugins. If I can remember or find how I installed the plugins, I'll post it.

-Burmashave
Petyr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'm using EVMS 1.2.0-r1
I've tried merging in 1.2.1 but that just gave me a different error (ioctl version incorrect and evms just exited outright. Unless I miss my guess this is directly connected to the kernel version and 1.2.1 needs 2.4.20 to work properly)

Anyhow in answer to re-merging EVMS I've done that a couple of times as well as e2fsprogs.
I suppose it's possible that I'm expecting too much of evms. Is it actually possible to resize a EXT3 mount on the fly *without* first unmounting the volume?

Setup is this
hde9 is a 13 Gig partition type 8E (LVM)
inside it is a 4 Gig region (?) labeled /dev/evms/home_dirs
That is formatted as ext3

Ideally I'd like to be able to resize this on the fly so when I start running low on space (which won't take long ^^;;; ) I don't have to stop whatever downloads I have going to resize it.

On another note, gcc-3.2.whatever-r6 seems to create more problems than it solves. Is it possible to have gcc-2.96(?) on the LiveCD and use that instead of 3.2?
I've found that after compiling everything, the system is more than a little unstable (especially X, which was not the case when I was running Gentoo 1.2...)
Unstable to the point of causing Kernel panics (flashing keyboard lights...ohh pretty....wait...damn)
Maybe I'll try recompiling with the debugging symbols so I can get a coredump and possibly trace it down...

Just my .02

Petyr
burmashave
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't tried resizing yet; however, it seems that I cannot resize my ReiserFS partitions that are managed by EVMS unless I unmount them. Given how EVMS works, this surprised me, too. I would have guessed that I could do it on the fly.

Perhaps there is a way to do it, but while mounted, the volumes do not show up in the volumes available for resizing.

-Burmashave
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: