Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dell C640 (laptop) Xorg Installation problem?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pear-i
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Dell C640 (laptop) Xorg Installation problem? Reply with quote

Hey there I'm a new Gentoo user (just switched over from ubuntu) so with a new installation of gentoo all set and ready to go,
i emerged Xorg and did the configuration and everything as stated in http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml

everything emerged and looks alright--
except when i ran the xorg-configure tool... it spat out an error that it couldn't detect my mouse?

my setup right now is on a Dell C640 laptop... with the touchpad and touch combo setup... i also have a usb mouse plugged into the PS/2 port.. i emerged teh synaptics driver.. but xorg doesn't seem detect it still... (i tried adding the synaptics line via Xorg.conf) but nothing...

anyone have any ideas
on how i can properly set up xorg? thanks!
azuriel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look in your kernel configuration and make sure you have all the input device options you need set. Does GPM work? That's a good place to start. Xorg configuration wise, does your mouse have a scroll wheel? Then it should use the IMPS/2 protocol. If you think it's the fault of Xorg (as in, your mouse is detected when you boot but doesn't work in X), then try using Knoppix to generate a xorg.conf. It's got rather good hardware detection.

The folly of mistaking a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us. -Valery
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: