New package revision operator
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clacour
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 2:44 am    Post subject: New package revision operator Reply with quote

Somebody posted a problem a while back in which they needed to install either Kerberos 4 or Kerberos 5 (but never both). They were suggesting a USE variable or three to address the problem, and after thinking about it a while, I've decided that's (partly) the wrong approach.

It's appropriate to use USE variables to specify whether you do or don't want a particular subsystem, but if we start using them for things like "which version do I want", the number of USE variables is going to skyrocket into the thousands, which will make them almost totally unusable.

I think a better way to handle this would be to add an operator to the code that checks the version number, which says "NOT this". Using "!" as the operator, it would look something like:

=xyz.1.2.0 (xyz version 1.2.0, and only that)
>=xyz.1.2 (xyz version 1.2.x, 1.3.x, 2.0.x, etc.)
!xyz1* (not xyz version 1.[anything]. Version 2.x would be ok.)

This way you could have dependencies in the ebuilds for kerberos4 and kerberos5 that said (using 5 as the example) depend { !kerberos4*} . In other words, it depends on the absence of any such package being presently installed.

I'm planning on submitting a bug report/feature request on this, but I wanted to get feedback from people first. Any better ideas? Any problems you can see with this one?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: