View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texas1emt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: [HOWTO] Shoutcast Streaming Server Guide Reply with quote

[HOWTO] Shoutcast Streaming Server Guide
Major Hayden - February 14, 2005

1. Introduction & Premise

This guide explains how to set up a Shoutcast streaming music server. It covers situations when the server and transcoder are on the same machine, and when they are on different macines. The entire installation should take between 15-30 minutes at most.

The system works by taking mp3 files and feeding them into a transcoder. The transcoder in turn re-encodes the music and passes it to the server. The server receives the stream and when listeners connect, the server splits the stream so that each listener can hear the mp3's.

Schematic

Code:
/----------\       /----------\           /---------------\-----------> LISTENER
|  YOUR    |       | TRANS-   | ENCODING  |    SERVER     |  MULTIPLE
|  MUSIC   |------>| CODER    |---------->|               |  STREAMS
\----------/       \----------/           \---------------/-----------> LISTENER
   *** MUSIC/TRANSCODER/SERVER CAN BE ON SAME MACHINE ***

2. Requirements

Gentoo Linux
    Working network connection
    Some MP3's (legal ones!) :D

3. Installing/Configuring the Server

First, let's install the Shoutcast server that we will be piping our music into. We can't emerge it without first getting the file from Shoutcast's site (due to licensing/fetch restrictions). If you try, you will get an error like this:

Code:
# emerge shoutcast-server-bin
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) media-sound/shoutcast-server-bin-1.9.5 to /
!!! shoutcast-1-9-5-linux-glibc6.tar.gz not found in /usr/portage/distfiles

!!! media-sound/shoutcast-server-bin-1.9.5 has fetch restriction turned on.
!!! This probably means that this ebuild's files must be downloaded
!!! manually.  See the comments in the ebuild for more information.

!!! The following are listed in SRC_URI for shoutcast-server-bin:
!!!   shoutcast-1-9-5-linux-glibc6.tar.gz

So, read the license agreement and then let's get the tarball, move it to the distfiles directory, and emerge it:

Code:
# wget http://www.shoutcast.com/downloads/sc1-9-5/shoutcast-1-9-5-linux-glibc6.tar.gz
# mv shoutcast-1-9-5-linux-glibc6.tar.gz /usr/portage/distfiles/
# emerge shoutcast-server-bin

Great, now let's edit the configuration file for a moment:

Code:
# nano -w /etc/shoutcast/sc_serv.conf

# There is one line in the file you MUST CHANGE
Password=changeme

# There are a couple of other lines you might want to alter
AutoDumpUsers=0
AutoDumpSourceTime=30

The password is used when we take the transcoder and pipe in the music to the server (which we'll do in a second). AutoDumpUsers left as 0 means that we don't want users to be kicked off the stream if we accidentally cut off the stream for a period of time. Setting it to 1 means you want users kicked off the server if the stream is disconnected. AutoDumpSourceTime is the time that the server will sit without music coming from the transcoder. If you leave it at 30 seconds, then after 30 seconds of silence from the transcoder, the server will kick the stream.

4. Installing/Configuring the Transcoder

Now we've got to get the transcoder installed:

Code:
# emerge shoutcast-trans-bin

Let's edit its config file as well:

Code:
# nano -w /etc/shoutcast/sc_trans.conf

# Change the playlist line to look like this
Remember -> PlaylistFile=/opt/shoutcast/playlists/playlist.lst

# There's a few things we MUST change
ServerIP=localhost                  <--- use only if your transcoder/server are on the same box
ServerIP=your.linux.box.ip.address  <--- use only if transcoder/server are on diff boxes
Password=changeme                   <--- this is the password you set in /etc/shoutcast/sc_serv.conf
StreamTitle, StreamURL, Genre       <--- this data will be displayed to viewers, you choose it

# Example of my data
StreamTitle=Major's Music        <--- my server name
StreamURL=http://my.box.address  <--- my server address
Genre=Classical                  <--- I am going to jam out some classical music

There's a few other options you can edit in the file, like crossfading and your bitrate/samplerate/channel.

IMPORTANT - Remember that you need enough bandwidth to server all of your listeners. If you're working off a cable modem, you can't pipe 160kbps tracks in stereo to 50 people. :)

Also, remember the playlist file you denoted in /etc/shoutcast/sc_trans.conf.

5. Setting Up A Playlist

Now, let's create our playlist. I keep my mp3's for this server in /mp3/classical, but change this to what suits your server:

Code:
# find /mp3/classical/ -type f -name "*.mp3" > playlist.lst

Just to err on the side of caution, make sure your file names in the file have full paths, otherwise shoutcast's transcoder can't find them!

Code:
# cat playlist.lst
/mp3/classical/Heavy Classix - Wagner - The Ride of the Valkyries.mp3
/mp3/classical/Heavy Classix - Berlioz - Hungarian March.mp3
/mp3/classical/Heavy Classix - Borodin - Polovtsian Dance.mp3
/mp3/classical/Heavy Classix - Khatchaturian - Gayaneh Sabre Dance.mp3
/mp3/classical/Heavy Classix - Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture.mp3
/mp3/classical/Heavy Classix - Berlioz - IV March of the Scaffold.mp3
/mp3/classical/Heavy Classix - Prokofiev - Montagues and Capulets.mp3
/mp3/classical/Heavy Classix - Holst - Mars The Bringer of War.mp3
/mp3/classical/Heavy Classix - Tchaikovsky - III Allegro Molto Vivace.mp3
/mp3/classical/Heavy Classix - Wagner - Lohengrin - Prelude to Act III.mp3
/mp3/classical/Heavy Classix - Mahler - IV Sturmisch Bewegt.mp3
/mp3/classical/Heavy Classix - Espana.mp3
/mp3/classical/Heavy Classix - Stravinsky - Infernal Dance.mp3

Now let's move that playlist to where the transcoder will be looking for it:

Code:
# mv playlist.lst /opt/shoutcast/playlists/playlist.lst

6. Finalizing the Installation

All that's left to do is start the server and the transcoder, and (optionally) add it to the default runtime so that it loads on boot-up:

Code:
# /etc/init.d/shoutcast start
# /etc/init.d/shoutcast_trans start
# rc-update add shoutcast default
# rc-update add shoutcast_trans default

NOTE - The init scripts are great. If you stop the server init script before stopping the transcoder script, it will stop both. By the same token, if the server isn't running and you try to start the transcoder, the server automatically starts up. Thank the smart Gentoo folks for that!

If you use IPTABLES for your firewall, make sure you adjust your rules!

Code:
// If your shoutcast server AND your iptables run on the same machine
# iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 8000 -j ACCEPT
// If your shoutcast server is behind the machine running iptables
// NOTE: Change 192.168.0.100 to the IP if your shoutcast server box
# iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 8000 -j DNAT --to 192.168.0.100:8000

Your server should be going now! Try it with XMMS or Winamp. Point them to the address for your server on port 8000, as in http://your.box.address:8000 and you should hear music. Also, open up Firefox and go to the same address and you should get a nifty web status, plus past songs.

7. Fun Stuff

If you want to see who is listening, kick/ban people, or reserve spots for certain listeners by IP, click the ADMIN link on the far right of the web status page. Use "admin" for your username and use the password from /etc/shoutcast/sc_serv.conf to login. Once you login to the page, you can tweak all kinds of stuff, and ruin someone's day if you don't want them to listen to your stuff! :wink:

What happens if you want to add new tracks to the server? What happens if you don't like the current track and want to advance to the next track? What if you want to quit shuffling the music and make it play straight through? You can!

Issue these commands (as root) from the command prompt:

Code:
// To advance to the next song
# killall -s WINCH sc_trans_linux
// After you change the playlist a little, reload it
# killall -s USR1 sc_trans_linux
// Toggle shuffle play on and off
# killall -s USR2 sc_trans_linux

KEEP IN MIND that your commands will not go into effect immediately. Due to buffering, it sometimes takes 20-30 seconds for you to hear it switch to the next track (which it will crossfade into, if you left the default crossfade in the conf).

Enjoy your new music server and get in touch with me if you have any questions about the setup.

LEGAL NOTICE: :roll:
I don't want to rain on your parade, but PLEASE UNDERSTAND that streaming YOUR music to other people is a violation of copyright law unless you have been given the right to play the music, or the music is in the public domain. You're more than welcome to stream the music for your own benefit, but please do not violate any copyright laws by using this server to broadcast music illegally. I am in no was advocating the infringement of any copyrights and I am not supporting music piracy in any form.

Also, Shoutcast is a copyright of Nullsoft. I am in no way associated with either. With that said, enjoy your music! :)

Revisions:
14-Feb-05: Initial Writing

d_m
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever used icecast? I find that it works very well, and it is open-source. What advantages do you think shoutcast has over it (in your opinion)?

Thanks for the guide... I think a lot of people will find it useful!
texas1emt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed icecast before, but I just didn't like the way it was set up. I used shoutcast before it was even in portage and I liked it. Now that it's in portage, it's a lot easier to set up.

I am told that icecast can do line-in broadcasts with some type of module or something called 'darkice', but I just want a simple streamer for my server for my own personal use.

Thanks for the comments, hopefully the HOWTO helps some people figure this out.
elmo[bjoern]
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

I think the big advantage of using shoutcast is, that you reach more people via the shoutcast directory server.
For example they currently have over 8000 servers listed there but icecast only got about 600 in their list. I'm not quite sure if it is possible to show up an icecast server in the shoutcast directory, but i think it's currently not.
texas1emt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elmo[bjoern] wrote:
I think the big advantage of using shoutcast is, that you reach more people via the shoutcast directory server. For example they currently have over 8000 servers listed there but icecast only got about 600 in their list. I'm not quite sure if it is possible to show up an icecast server in the shoutcast directory, but i think it's currently not.

You've got a point bjoern, and I didn't think about that either. Going to http://www.shoutcast.com/ can bring you TONS of streams of any variety. And AFAIK, you're right about the icecast and shoutcast directory incompatibility.
localjoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

some notes on broadcasting...

I'm station engineer for a college radio, and we broadcast our live stream out over the net via shoutcast.

if you want to broadcast live, your transcode playlist will need the following
DSP:/dev/dsp
DSP:/dev/dsp

then set your rate options, etc, etc...
if the song title is showing up as ( now playing dsp) then you can just symlink a cool name or the station ID to dsp, and put that in the playlsit file instead of /dev/dsp

also, you really should save your logs, that's not mentioned above.

we have over 20 shows now, and making use of streamripper and good old cron allows for the DJ's to have copies of their shows INSTANTLY after their block is complete.
Prometeus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've already installed and set up shoutcast server and trans (thanks for the HOWTO, texas1emt), and they work like a charm, but something annoys me... I don't know why but no matter which option I activate/desactivate in the trans config file it doesn't send the song title to the server (at least that's what I guess), meaning:

- No song history (from the shoutcast server web interface)
- No proper song title displayed on the client (listener)

I installed shoutcast before on Linux (not from the portage tree but from shoutcast.com) and it had no problem with the song title. But this time I emerged shoutcast trans and server, and the way they work seem to be different.

What should I do? :(

I know it's not a "problem" since the streaming is working great, but I wanna see the song title and the song history.

Any help will be appreciated, guys.
vesqu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm wondering with the same subject; how to (if at all) provide song information to client (and to song list in web interface) ... great as is but with this song information even greater :)

-- even the God himself fights against stupidity - for nothing ---
jmack1010
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i try to connect to my shoutcast server I get the error:
Quote:
Server Status: Server is currently down.

However, I am getting the web interface for shoutcast. I think their is something setup wrong with my shoucast server, but it loads correctly without error at boot. The only sign that something may not be loading correctly is after the init script is loads shoutcast server displays:
Quote:
Use "sc_serv filename.ini" to specify an ini file"

I am running behind a linksys firewall, however I forwarded port 8000 to my shoutcast server, and I am getting the right web interface. But I am not sure if it is not the cause of my troubles.

If you need any more info (I am not sure what is pertinent) I will be happy to post. Thank you for your help!

Joe[/quote]
Prometeus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmack1010 wrote:
When i try to connect to my shoutcast server I get the error:
Quote:
Server Status: Server is currently down.

Where do you get that message? Running the shoutcast transcoder (sc_trans)?

jmack1010 wrote:

However, I am getting the web interface for shoutcast. I think their is something setup wrong with my shoucast server, but it loads correctly without error at boot. The only sign that something may not be loading correctly is after the init script is loads shoutcast server displays:
Quote:
Use "sc_serv filename.ini" to specify an ini file"

Seems like sc_serv can't find a proper config file... Make sure you have this file:
Code:
/etc/shoutcast/sc_serv.conf

with read and write permission set just for its owner, root. If so, check the configuration: you have to set a password fot the server.

jmack1010 wrote:

If you need any more info (I am not sure what is pertinent) I will be happy to post.

If the above doesn't work for you, it would be helpful to know the content of your sc_serv.conf and sc_trans.conf files, and how are you starting the server and the transcoder. ;)
cormacs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive a small problem with shoutcast that Im trying to figure out - any help aprpeciated. Using Redhat and shoutcast

Im using sc_serv and sc_trans. the first minor problem, is that even though everything works dandy, I have to start both up separately as sc_trans doesnt start sc_serv. I take it thats a config problem on my end somewhere.

the major problem Im having goes something like this:

Currently I start sc_serv (or already have it running in the background)
Then i start a live broadcast.

thirdly I start sc_trans

finally once i quit the live broadcast the on-demand kicks in. everythings fine up til there.

Once though I try to start a live broadcast whilst sc_trans is running,i get connection errors, as obviously theon-demand stream is using the port.

now - is that the way its meant to work (as in shutting down sc_trans before starting a live broadcast) or is sc_serv meant to be listening for a live stream on 8001 and then knocking off the on-demand?

At the minute I suppose if DJs stuck rigidly to their schedules, a cron job could be set up, but i was hoping to have something more flexible which would let people kick off a live show whenever they wished (as long as no-one else was broadcasting live at teh time)

any help gladly sought ;)
jmack1010
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found what the problem was with the configuration file, I had to take the Remember-> pointer where it points to the playlist file.
Quote:
# Change the playlist line to look like this
Remember -> PlaylistFile=/opt/shoutcast/playlists/playlist.lst

Thank you,

Joe
karan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, its possible to use xmms-LiveIce in conjunction with shoutcast. At the moment i'm using my desktop computer to write this and i'm playing music with xmms.

Xmms-LiveIce is forwarding this upstairs to my server, which is serving my stream via my website. Shoutcast is always on, but it only broadcasts when I listen to music down here.. which I think is pretty cool.
jflintz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my second try at doing setting up a server. Over a year ago I set one up with shoutcast for my lan and it went with no problem.

Since then I did a reinstall of gentoo due to a new/bigger harddrive for my file server.

Followed your HOWTO and for some reason I can get the server to run but can not connect to it.

what I get from the logs is

<07/26/05@13:50:48> [SHOUTcast] DNAS/Linux v1.9.5 (Dec 27 2004) starting up...
<07/26/05@13:50:48> [main] pid: 21178
<07/26/05@13:50:48> [main] loaded config from /etc/shoutcast/sc_serv.conf
<07/26/05@13:50:48> [main] initializing (usermax:32 portbase:8000)...
<07/26/05@13:50:48> [main] No ban file found (sc_serv.ban)
<07/26/05@13:50:48> [main] Loading rip list (sc_serv.rip)
<07/26/05@13:50:48> [rip] Added 1 IP to Reserve List
<07/26/05@13:50:48> [main] opening source socket
<07/26/05@13:50:48> [main] source thread starting
<07/26/05@13:50:48> [source] listening for connection on port 8001
<07/26/05@13:50:48> [main] opening client socket
<07/26/05@13:50:48> [main] Client Stream thread [0] starting
<07/26/05@13:50:48> [main] client main thread starting
<07/26/05@13:50:48> [source] connected from 192.168.0.3
<07/26/05@13:50:49> [source] icy-name:Flintz Radio: Flintz Music ; icy-genre:Alt
<07/26/05@13:50:49> [source] icy-pub:0 ; icy-br:80 ; icy-url:http://192.168.0.3/
<07/26/05@13:50:49> [source] icy-irc:N/A ; icy-icq:N/A ; icy-aim:N/A
<07/26/05@13:50:54> [dest: 192.168.0.4] starting stream (UID: 0)[L: 1]{A: xmms/1.2.10}(P: 0)
<07/26/05@13:50:54> [dest: 192.168.0.4] connection closed (0 seconds) (UID: 0)[L: 0]{Bytes: 0}(P: 0)

Any ideas?

Thanks

All others will be rerouted through iptables
jflintz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never mind... I tried playing the stream through mplayer and it worked fine. Figured it is something to do with xmms so I am upgrading gettext to the latest version and re-emerging xmms to see if that helps with xmms and listening to the stream.

[EDIT]
I had to disable MAD in the xmms preferences and emerge xmms-mpg123 for it to work.....

ALL is good now.

All others will be rerouted through iptables
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bookmarked*
tkhobbes
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

I can't restart neither the shoutcast nor the shoutcast_trans service; when using /etc/init.d/shoutcast restart or stop, it gives me something like
Code:

* Stopping Shoutcast Trans ...
start-stop-daemon: warning: failed to kill 8751: No such process                              [ !! ]
 * ERROR:  problems stopping dependent services.
 *         "shoutcast" is still up.

Also, I have the same problem as jmack1010; when using the web-interface, it says "server currently down" and I can't listen to any stream.

Using the "Remember ->" thingy in sc_trans.conf did not help anything (I followed this how-to word by word)... :(

thomas
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't starting and the init script didn't realize it didn't start. Make sure it isn't running:

Code:
ps -A | grep shout

If it isn't running try this:

Code:
# /etc/init.d/shoutcast zap
# /etc/init.d/shoutcast_trans zap

That should reset the scripts. I would then check your log files and see what happened.

*EDIT*

Also, this walkthough didn't mention that you need to tell shoutcast_trans what playlist to use, I would change the path manually to what you want it set to. I bet $100 that's what's happened.

Code:
nano -w /etc/shoutcast/sc_trans.conf

Then edit this line:

Code:
PlaylistFile=/mnt/media/playlists/playlist.lst

tkhobbes
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - I did everything you said but still have the problem - "server is currently down", and nothing is streamed to my workstation... :(

Also, when I do a shoutcast start, it says
Code:
 * Starting Shoutcast Server ...
** SHOUTcast Distributed Network Audio Server
** Copyright (C) 1998-2004 Nullsoft, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
** Use "sc_serv filename.ini" to specify an ini file.
*******************************************************************************               [ ok ]

Is that normal?

thomas
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup... completely.....

Basically the server is up waiting on a stream from somebody or something.

The easiest way to stream data to the server is to install xmms-liveice:

Code:
 emerge xmms-liveice

Then open XMMS, configure the plug-in to your address, to port 8001 (unless you changed it) then type your password. Load up an MP3 and hit play. Then it should start streaming to your server.
tkhobbes
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I think I was not clear enough; I have a Windows-client, and when hitting "stream" in the web-interface, iTunes opens - but it does not play anything, even when I hit "play" manually...
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if the shoutcast page says that it is currently down, then it isn't recieving music somehow. So the first problem is that you have to get music streamed to it first, either by you remotly or at the local machine itself. There are severeal way to do this: xmms-liveice, winamp with the shoutcast plugin, muse, shoutcast_trans, darkice w/ darksnow, so on and so forth. Once you've gotten the shoutcast page to say that it isn't down, then worry about listening to it.

Here's a little hint though, attempting to stream to your machine and listen to it on the same machine.... big pain, get a friend to check it out for you.
tkhobbes
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as said, I followed the how-to word-by-word - so shoutcast_trans is running, or at least, should be...
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check to make sure it is running:

Code:
ps -A | grep trans

If you see nothing, try to stop shoutcast_trans with the init script:

Code:
/etc/init.d/shoutcast_trans stop

You will probably get an error about a process not being there. In which case shoutcast_trans never got a chance to start.

Code:
/etc/init.d/shoutcast_trans zap

Now... check your....

Um... nevermind.... just looked at the thread.... glad you got it solved.

Last edited by Bigun on Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
tkhobbes
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - silly me... and thanks to you, I found out just HOW silly I am... :oops:

I forgot to set the correct IP of the soutcast-server in shoutcast_trans.conf... :)

Now, everything is working fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: