emerge tars fail with segfault
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xannor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: emerge tars fail with segfault Reply with quote

I rebuilt my system and everythign was working fine, but today I tired to emerge lynx into the system and I get a segfault during the untar. My first thought was that the tar file was bad so I debuged and got the actual tar command and the directory it is runnign from. I changed to the work directory and ran the command and it untarred fine. I then tried to emerge again and it once again segfaulted. I then decided to break apart the tar and decompress parts, so I ran bzip first then untarred the resutls (modifying ebuild.sh) and it decompresse fine but ocne again segfaulted in tar. I also tried to emerge screen as well and I get the saem results. I also resync the protage tree, verified I had the latest and rebooted, none of which seemd to help. I have also wiped and had emerge redownload the tars but to no avail. I am at a loss of what to do. I did some research on tar segfaults and all I could find was that it shouldn't but if it does it was built wrong.

ufnortunalty I cannot emerge a rebuild of the tar libraries cause guess what... it seg faults!

how can I solve this? any takers?
Maz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frst comes to mind a full HD. Is portage temp directory full ?
I don't see any other reason.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any more info in the errors, or just "segfault"? Could it be this?
xannor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the HD is to full then this distro has issues, cause my rootfs has 6gig free. Also I can manually untar the files w/o a problem, and not all emerges fail. I think it is a kernel issue though, cause I booted off of the instlal CD, mounted my HD and could emerge fine. I think it has to do with the GRsecurity settings, I'm contemplating turing off the non networking ones, rebuilding the kernel and seeing if tar works correctly then.
xannor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACK this is getting more confusing... In the process of building a kernel w/o grsec I forgot my raid module (I have two HDs running raid1) and aside for thigns complaining on boot (no important sys files are on the raid part, only important data.) tar under emerge worked. But after I fixed the raid settigns (raid1 compiled in along with md for autodetect) it no longer works... Is it possiable that the software raid1 is causing issues with tar running under emerge. (note none of the files emerge uses are on a the raid drives.) I am at a loss at this point. the only way I can emerge anything is to boot off of the install CD. I am going to try and embed an strace in ebuild.sh to see if it can shed any light.
xannor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the culprit but I do not know how to fix it...

This is wierd but I found it it was seg faulting looking for libnss_db.so. I do not have that installed, but I do have libnss_mysql. Well I decided to edit my nsswitch.conf and change it from passwd: files mysql nis to passwd: compat (and the same for group and shadow)

lo and behold the damn thing works now. unfortunalty this causes another problem. I am using a mysql DB for account storage. I am hoping that maybe isntalling libnss_db will solve the conflict, but is this the right step. do I have my nsswitch configured wrong?
xannor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I could not build the libnss_db becuase they bomb out during compile with errors. I did however find out that there were a couple of lines further down that had db as a service. I changed these to just file and now it works with mysql_nss running. I guess the mysql_nss service acts like db and for some reason tar was calling something that was trying to load the db_nss service. well I fixed my problem but it is more of a band-aid instead of a true fix.

If anyone wants i can revert and provide debug info if they want to look into this problem. just tell me what you would need.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good hunting. I would strongly recommend submitting a bug report.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: