honeypot help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Travers
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: honeypot help Reply with quote

Ok, so my friend, Ryan, has /var/log/messages filled with ssh failures. The bots that scanned him tried stupid username/passwod combo's trying to get in. root, password root would be one such example. Naturally, these aren't full-on brute force attacks, but rather attempts to crack boxes with bad passwords.

So we decided to setup a honeypot so we can see what the crackers are up to once a machine gets compromised. I've never done this before, so I would like some input.

I just build a box with 2 ethernet cards and am in the process of setting up iptables. The plan is to have this router only let port 22 in and out of the honeypot.

Now, logging all this should be the hard part. We want to let the pot get compromised as root. (We'll probably do user:root passwd:root.) But, we also want to log everything. The original idea was to setup like a 1 second cron that would scp .bash_history and /var/log/messages to the router. Naturally, this is a awful way to do it.

So, this is where I ask for suggestions. How can I log the honeypot for as long as possible and keep the logs safe? Would an IDS be the way to go? Any other suggestions? Moreover, when it does get cracked, how can I keep the FBI from knocking on my door when the cracker uses it in a most devious manner?

Thanks.
psychomunky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first thing I'd be included to do, is let the "cracker" into a chroot jail environment. Although I am not entirely sure how to set this up, the theory is that since it is a jail, this malicious "person" (or bot or whatever) would only be able to execute what you have put in the jail. This way you could control what he does and does not have access to. For example you could give him access to links, but not ping or some other nasty tools. As well you could hide some devices and re-route other ones.

Being a relative noob to chrooting, I am not entirely sure that this is all possible, but from the bit I've played with jails, it is indeed possible. I have been getting into security more and more lately, and I have seen these stupid worms trying to get into my box as well. I very curious to see what you results are if you stick someone or something.
angoraspruce
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Do a google search on honeypots and you'll find lots of info. This one's particularly good:
Quote:
http://www.tracking-hackers.com/solutions/

I have an unused IPaddress that I've been meaning to use for a honeypot, but just haven't had the time. I've read up on the subject, but it's a little more involved than one might think at first glance.

All the same, it would be fun...

Good luck setting yours up :)
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are extremely knowledgable in *nix security, I wouldn't suggest running a honeypot whatsoever.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that, from the sounds of things, you were getting attacked by this.. ssh worm, for lack of a better term, that has been going around since the summer. Take a look at the following thread for pretty much everything you need to know about it.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-210585.html

EDIT: Come to think about it, running a honeypot probably is against your ISP's terms of service as well as possibly being illegal in your country.

Last edited by zerojay on Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
nightblade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: honeypot help Reply with quote

Travers wrote:
How can I log the honeypot for as long as possible and keep the logs safe? Would an IDS be the way to go? Any other suggestions? Moreover, when it does get cracked, how can I keep the FBI from knocking on my door when the cracker uses it in a most devious manner?

A possible approach is to send the logs to another machine. You can set up a syslog daemon listening for the honeypot logs, and set the syslog on the honeypot to use a non-standard configuration file, in order to make the thing harder to figure out. If you don't have another box, you can simply create a virtual honeypot with vmware. As for the hostile traffic coming from your honeypot, set the router (or the physical machine, if you use vmware in a NAT configuration) to forbid outward connections coming from it.

However, as it has been pointed out already, be sure to understand all security implications, because setting an effective honeypot is not an easy task. You might also want to look at honeyd: http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/honeyd/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: